~Shocktober 2022!~

Brick

With October here, it's time for some horror fun once again!

In the spirit of the spooky season Shocktober is all about playing horror games! Yes you're encouraged to get scared for fun. Unlike Backlaugust these games don't necessarily have to be from your backlog (although that's always encouraged to chip away at), these can be games that you want to replay, new games coming out, or games you haven't played yet but always wanted to pick up, ex. have you been wanting to play Resident Evil 7? Then it'll more than likely go on sale this month, so go ahead and buy it and finally play through it.

The only requirement is that the games be horror themed. Survival horror, action horror, doesn't matter, any horror works! Even something Halloween themed works even if it isn't exactly horror and/or scary.

From now until the end of Halloween night let's encourage each other to brave through these frightening games and have fun along the way!

Last year I said I was finally going to play through Dead Space 3, and the Telltale Walking Dead games, but unfortunately I was working two jobs at the time, so I wasn't able to. This year hopefully I can work to rectify that. I also have the RE games from the Humble Bundle from a little while ago, and I still need to beat Castlevania Lords of Shadow. I have a lot to choose from.

So let's get started, and have fun encouraging each other, and discussing what we're currently playing. Don't forget to spoiler tag anything that might ruin something for someone else who hasn't yet played a game as there's nothing scarier than an unwelcomed surprise spoiler! I'll add a finished list so we can see what we've made through.

Happy Haunting!

spacer.png

THE FINISHED PILE

Omori - dualhunter

Resident Evil 3 Remake - dualhunter

The Walking Dead: Michonne - Brick

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This will be ideal opportunity to finally play Soma!

Will you play it vanilla, or install the mod that removes the combat (or it might actually have been updated to include that as a default option now)? 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Will you play it vanilla, or install the mod that removes the combat (or it might actually have been updated to include that as a default option now)? 

The developers added "Safe Mode" as an actual default option a while back and considering how terrible the combat is supposed to be, I'm definitely gonna go with that one!

10 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Going to finally play RE Vllage once 3rd person update drops, not a fan of how claustrophobic a lot of fps feel, even if you crank up the FoV it doesnt help much on a game like this because there are so many tight corridors.

Good decision. Village controls so awkwardly in FP. I wish they just go back to 3rd person all together. 

This will give me a good excuse to play Until Dawn for the first time. I think I'll lug the PS4 into the living room and me and the wife can give it a go. Is it cutscene driven or is it like Man of Medan where it's part walking sim? Cuz we tried doing Man of Medan but she checked out after a while. If it's just cutscenes where we have to make choices and do QTE's then I think she'll have more interest.

I will probably do another playthrough of RE Village once the third person patch comes out. And I'll probably be checking out Scorn next week too.

I only have about a thousand horror based games in my library, but that being said, my PC library is pretty scant. Is Phasmophobia any good for single player? Or is just one of those games that's good for streaming but kinda boring on your own?

Finished the normal route in Omori. Most of the game is cheery but there are horror elements. The jump scares don't really work and my opinion at the moment is that the devs are sick bastards. I'm planning to do a replay of Resident Evil 3 before trying the other route in Omori to see if it makes more sense.

• Halal 1

I gave up on Prey yesterday after returning to it lost.

I'm not in a gaming mood these last couple of days and when a game constantly challenges you every 1 second I'm done with it. I play games to relax and enjoy. 

So no more Halloween games for me. I honestly have no games lined up. I may just take a big break from games all together. 

On 10/5/2022 at 7:21 AM, best3444 said:

Good decision. Village controls so awkwardly in FP. I wish they just go back to 3rd person all together. 

It’s all a matter of taste, but Village controls perfectly well for what they’re trying to accomplish.  Enemy movement and damage is all scaled to work in line with the heavier controls, if Ethan suddenly moved like a COD character the game would fall apart.  I doubt it’s going to feel any better in third person and my suspicion is that it’s going to lose a ton of the intended atmosphere but hey, it’s one of my favorite games of the past five years so any way people can do it is a plus.

15 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

It’s all a matter of taste, but Village controls perfectly well for what they’re trying to accomplish.  Enemy movement and damage is all scaled to work in line with the heavier controls, if Ethan suddenly moved like a COD character the game would fall apart.  I doubt it’s going to feel any better in third person and my suspicion is that it’s going to lose a ton of the intended atmosphere but hey, it’s one of my favorite games of the past five years so any way people can do it is a plus.

Interesting point. I haven't played this in a while and when I initially played it and beat it, i really enjoyed it. I think I jumped on one night to see how it ran on my XSX and was taken back at how sluggish it felt. But, you make great points in why it feels that way. 

Finished Resident Evil 3 Remake 3 times. Originally I was just going to do 1 replay on Assisted but I decided to try Standard and then I started unlocking stuff from the shop. Beating the hardest difficult with S rank seems like too much of a pain (auto save is disabled) and even on Assisted not using the item box at all is too much of a pain (no getting my infinite rocket launcher or coins) so this is where I stop. Nightmare was my first S rank run.

• 3 weeks later...