Mufasa...does anyone really want this?

Mufasa-the-lion-king-scaled.jpg
WDWNT.COM

Disney has announced a new live-action prequel to "The Lion King" entitled "Mufasa: The Lion King" which will debut in 2024! The prequel will feature Timon, Pumbaa, and Rafiki telling the story of Mufasa's rise to power to a new cub (somewhat similar to "The Lion King 1½") and will be live-ac

Honestly, I couldn't even stay awake during the 'live action' Lion King remake. Of course I suppose I shouldn't be shocked since it made a billion but seriously I don't see people clamoring for this one. 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Jurassic Park holds up in your memory, not in reality.  

Yeah I think JP nostalgia is overblown (the CGI, not the movie—the movie is amazing). However, it has still aged very well for a movie made at that time, mainly because of artistic choices. 

Yeah, Jurassic Park uses practical effects whenever possible and ultimately doesn’t have a ton of CGI dinos (they have a lot less screen time than you probably remember). 

Something like this is just insanely hard to pull off “correctly”. The live action remakes of movies with human characters, even if they’re all pretty bland, at least make sense on a conceptual level. But to carry on with that style for this world, with ZERO HUMANS, is just utterly bizarre. Every single character is a full CGI creation that is aiming for photorealism, but they also have to talk and emote. It’s baffling. The animators were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Doesn’t JP still actually have a lot of practical sfx going on?

Yes, and the practical effects are still generally pretty great.  There’s some real clunkers in there, the severed arm is baaaaaaaad, but most of the dino stuff is good.

Most if not all of the CGI of that era looks terrible in the light of ultra HD.  It was never intended to be seen like that, it’s sharper and more detailed than what you saw in a theater.  Go watch some of the prequels in 4k and turn on motion smoothing for good measure, your face will melt like that dude at the end of Raiders it’s so bad.