U.S. adds 310k jobs in August, around expectations of 300k, unemployment at 3.7%

The U.S. labor market added 315,000 jobs in August, hitting a 20-month streak in strong job growth that’s powering an economy through ominously high inflation.

Unemployment ticked up to at 3.7 percent, close to a pre-pandemic low.

The economy has more than recovered the 20 million jobs lost during the pandemic. Meanwhile, other indicators, such as a decline in economic output and persistent higher prices for just about everything, suggest a less rosy picture, raising questions on how much longer the hot job market can last.

now-hiring-all-shifts.jpg?width=1403&hei
WWW.USATODAY.COM

The economy added 315,000 jobs in August despite slowing growth and recession worries. Unemployment rose from 3.5% to 3.7%.

Hiring slowed sharply in August but remained sturdy as employers added 315,000 jobs despite softer consumer spending gains, rising interest rates and a sputtering economy.

The unemployment rate rose from 3.5% to 3.7%, the Labor Department said Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

now-hiring-all-shifts.jpg?width=1403&hei
WWW.USATODAY.COM

The economy added 315,000 jobs in August despite slowing growth and recession worries. Unemployment rose from 3.5% to 3.7%.

lol, "Hiring slowed sharply" 315,000 jobs added, who approves shit like that to be written.

9 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Over the last couple of years I decided that markets and investors are the least rational entities on the planet.

I would say less about rational/irrational, and more that the interests of Wall Street are hire different and often even at odds with Main Street

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

They've basically hung their hats on the 2 quarters of GDP decreasing as we're in a recession so we're all doomed, and don't even acknowledge jobs gains.

What’s interesting is that, due to the composition of GDP in those two quarters, even though GDP dropped, Gross Domestic Income (which is essentially a different way of measuring the same thing, using slightly different methods ) was positive:

spacer.png

@eViLgReEnMoNkEySjust so you know, a ‘cratering economy’ does not produce 300+k jobs per month amidst already generationally low unemployment and falling inflation expectations.

You seemed confused on this particular point last time we spoke.

You can certainly argue that the president can’t really take credit (or blame) for what the economy does, but such an argument would have to accept that this principle applies to all presidents, whether you consider them ‘best president evarrr’ or ‘worstest of the worstest prezidents!!1!!’

• Halal 2

50 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Seems bad!

The markets are either A.) anticipating the Fed to overcorrect and induce a recession 

or

B.) adjusting to lower profit rates due to rising wage bills

But lower profit rates don’t necessarily lead to recessionary conditions. So A is bad for everyone; B is arguably only bad for short-run share prices, if job growth remains strong and supply chains begin to normalize.

But executives make their careers off the share-price, so any threat to it will have them screaming ‘worsening economy’.

4 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The markets are either A.) anticipating the Fed to overcorrect and induce a recession 

or

B.) adjusting to lower profit rates due to rising wage bills

But lower profit rates don’t necessarily lead to recessionary conditions. So A is bad for everyone; B is arguably only bad for short-run share prices, if job growth remains strong and supply chains begin to normalize.

But executives make their careers off the share-price, so any threat to it will have them screaming ‘worsening economy’.

I believe shipping volumes are dropping. And according to twitter, fedex is the one company Greenspan would regularly watch for signs of trouble in the economy. 

Fed "overcorrection" is unquestionably the dominant market sentiment at the moment:

107055335-1651602795548-gettyimages-1240
WWW.CNBC.COM

The economy is on the brink of a serious downturn if the Fed doesn't pump the brakes on its rate hikes, billionaire CEO Barry Sternlicht said.

The U.S. economy is teetering on the brink of a serious downturn if the Federal Reserve doesn’t pump the brakes on its rate hikes, billionaire CEO Barry Sternlicht said.

The central bank has already raised interest rates four times this year and is widely expected to hike them by 75 basis points next week in an effort to tame inflation. Earlier this week, consumer prices rose 0.1% instead of the 0.1% decline economists surveyed by Dow Jones were expecting.

However, Sternlicht believes the Fed was late to the game and is now being too aggressive.

“The economy is braking hard,” the chairman and CEO of Starwood Capital Group told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Thursday.

“If the Fed keeps this up they are going to have a serious recession and people will lose their jobs,” he added.

5e9ef3615bd7a55b8d3be824?width=1200&form
MARKETS.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Universa's Mark Spitznagel said the Fed will have to choose between defeating inflation and protecting markets and the economy.

The Federal Reserve's efforts to crush inflation risk sparking a collapse in asset prices, and plunging the US economy into a severe recession with painful deflation, Mark Spitznagel has warned.

"If the Fed's going to try to normalize rates, they're going to bring inflation down very, very quickly, but it's also going to cause devastation," he told Bloomberg on Wednesday.

Spitznagel is the cofounder of Universa Investments, a so-called "Black Swan" fund that specializes in hedging portfolios against extreme and unpredictable events.

He accused the Fed of inflating asset prices for 25 years with near-zero interest rates and a loose money supply, and argued a return to its historical policies is now impossible.

"I don't think that the Fed can ever normalize rates again," he said.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Fed "overcorrection" is unquestionably the dominant market sentiment at the moment:

107055335-1651602795548-gettyimages-1240
WWW.CNBC.COM

The economy is on the brink of a serious downturn if the Fed doesn't pump the brakes on its rate hikes, billionaire CEO Barry Sternlicht said.

5e9ef3615bd7a55b8d3be824?width=1200&form
MARKETS.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Universa's Mark Spitznagel said the Fed will have to choose between defeating inflation and protecting markets and the economy.

Yeah as much as I’d like the Fed to favor their employment mandate a bit more than their commitment to 2% inflation, I have a feeling they’re just gonna plow ahead with rate increases, regardless of recession concerns.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Yeah as much as I’d like the Fed to favor their employment mandate a bit more than their commitment to 2% inflation, I have a feeling they’re just gonna plow ahead with rate increases, regardless of recession concerns.

The recent statements from Fed officials have all but convinced me that they've elevated "inflation busting" to practically cult-level status.

In the inflation thread, I compared it to a "crusade" or "jihad" and I stand by that characterization!