Backlaugust 2022! Better Late than Never!

Brick

Damn August snuck up on me this year, and forgot to post this earlier, but better late than never, just like playing games in your backlog! We do this every year over at Negative World, and we've this an annual thing here too! Last year was fun, and people seemed to enjoy the encouragement to clear out more games from our collective backlogs during the month of August, hence Backlaugust!

The rules are simple:

- tell us what you're playing, and on what system so we can cheer each other on, and help each other out if we have any tips

- play a game from your backlog, either a game that's been sitting in your library for a long time that you've decided to finally play and finish, or a game you started long ago, but for whatever reason stopped playing and have been meaning to get back to and finish

- don't use a game that is new, or a game that you're already currently playing, pick a game from your actual backlog

- pick a game that you already own (no buying games you've been meaning to get for a while)

- when a game is actually "finished" is up to you. Whether that is completing the main story, getting 100% completion rating, getting all Achievements/Trophies, or just whenever you feel "done" with a game is up to you

- post when you're finished, and all the games that have been finished will be added to this OP

All right, let's get started, and have some fun getting some of our backlogs done! Let's see how many games we can complete!

Last year we completed 10 games, let's see if we can beat that, or at least beat the folks over at Negative World!

THE FINISHED PILE

1. Uncharted: Lost Legacy - TheLeon

2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - best3444

3. Radiant Historia - BloodyHell 

4. Halo 5 - BloodyHell 

5. 13 Sentinels - TheLeon

6. Final Fantasy VII - dualhunter

7. Death's Door - dualhunter

8. Raggit - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

9. Cyberpunk 2077 - TheLeon

10. Halo 2 Anniversary - Brick

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Terrible timing for me with Xenoblade 3 out.  But in the off chance I put it down, I’d go with God of War now that I have a PS5.  I stopped half way through two years ago.

Maybe I should finally do Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

So this is a question for anyone here:

Is one month's time enough for me to play through and finish The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? From basically the beginning? I think I played to the part where you get off the plateau. And that's about it. Is it reasonable for me to be able to finish the game by August 31?

56 minutes ago, Brick said:

Maybe I should finally do Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If you enjoyed and beat the first, go for it.  It got flaws, as you've probably heard, but the payoff is worth it.

You'll also get more out of Torna and 3, should you choose to play them later. 

26 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Is one month's time enough for me to play through and finish The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? From basically the beginning? I think I played to the part where you get off the plateau. And that's about it. Is it reasonable for me to be able to finish the game by August 31?

Yes. I mean you could beat it in a couple of hours if you just make a beeline to the end of the game.

I’ve had the urge to play some JRPGs (I’m not entirely sure why), so once we’re set up in our new house, I might carry on with FF7, then if that feels horrendous, try FF9, or FFX. So, I’ll go with those for now. I’m also on the final mission of Perfect Datk so might spend an evening cracking through that, not to mention my wife and I are now up to adult Link in OoT, so could carry that on.

35 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If you enjoyed and beat the first, go for it.  It got flaws, as you've probably heard, but the payoff is worth it.

You'll also get more out of Torna and 3, should you choose to play them later. 

Loved the first one, and I've had the second one for years, but just never inserted it into my Switch. I'll definitely get Torna too. 

6 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Im getting to some Game Pass stuff after im done with XBC3. I'm also finishing Trails of Cold Steel on PS5. But mostly, I'm committed to not ignoring my xbox and getting to Halo Infinite, Record of Lodoss War, and Forza Horizon Hot Wheels expansion.

Halo Infinite is great. I was litteraly thinking about replaying that very soon. I'm not sure if I even care about online coop at this point. 

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

You'll get hooked on it and play it nonstop, so yes. 

I'm playing Final Fantasy VII (Steam). I've played and finished the old PC version but I got the Steam version a few years ago to play it with AI upscaling but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm using Satsuki Yatoshi's mod. It took me a bit of time to figure it out. First I got my controller to work by mapping keys to buttons but the mod has it's own launcher that doesn't go through Steam (though there is an option to use Steam achievements). I tried adding it to Steam to set the controls the same as the base game but that didn't work (only the analog stick worked). I switched from a Switch Pro controller to a DS4 with Input Mapper but that didn't work either. Xbox One controller works though the ok/cancel layout follows SNES mappings rather than PSX which I can live with. Looks and sounds great and I've got working controls. The boosted framerate is great too. 

I just finished Death's Door, currently trying to get the last two achievements (need to beat the game with an umbrella, and go through the metal detector without triggering it). I started it Late on July 31st, so I'm counting it. Not sure what's next. Either Fire Emblem Fates Revelations, or Zelda, Link's Awakening on Switch... or wtv I'm in the mood for once I'm done with Death's Door. The game looks beautiful on the Deck.

Halo 5 Campaign- Completed

Starting Infinite today sometime. I certainly didn't do any completionist stuff, just beat the main campaign. 

Loved the combat, movement, gameplay was good, but felt strange for Halo. Story was an abomination compared to the much simpler Bungie Trilogy. Overall, it's just good.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Halo 5 Campaign- Completed

Starting Infinite today sometime. I certainly didn't do any completionist stuff, just beat the main campaign. 

Loved the combat, movement, gameplay was good, but felt strange for Halo. Story was an abomination compared to the much simpler Bungie Trilogy. Overall, it's just good.

Infinite is much better than Halo 5. It's a joy to play all the way to the end. 

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Infinite is much better than Halo 5. It's a joy to play all the way to the end. 

Ive heard that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed halo 5 (outside of the story), it just felt like it was trying to be something other than Halo. 

Still looks good for a 7 year old game, though. 

I plan on playing 1-3 in the near enough future. I never bothered with the MCC collection, as I've played hundreds of hours of each of those games when they were new. I just completely fell off of xbox when the ps4/One released, to the point I had to start a new xbox account because I don't think the email from my previous account exists anymore.  In my year and half of owning a Series X, ive accumulated a gamer score of about 800 points. So yeah, my xbox has been neglected because ilI only use it for exclusives. 80% of my gameplay is ps5, 15% is pc/Steamdeck/switch. 

That was a bunch of rambling to say I need to catch up on a ton of great xbox games, like Gears 5 and Tactics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Ive beaten:

Halo: Reach

Halo:CE (decided I hadn't beaten it enough)

Gonna hopefully finish 2 tomorrow, and 3 before the end of the month.

Are you playing through the Halo games for the first time? I too need to go back and finish the MCC.