Supreme Court might destroy voting rights.

I don't even understand the point of the charade anymore. In fully Republican controlled states, just change the state constitution to say that the popular vote should only serve as a suggestion to the slate of electors and then grant those electors a lifetime appointments.

Dems just need to shout this shit to the heavens and make public aware.. (not that they will care)…

Schedule a literal emergency state of the union address and outline exactly whats about to happen.. lay out the GOP plan for all to see and then announce the necessary and extreme actions you intend to take to prevent this..the GOP are in the Endgame, stop thinking there is a compromise to be found…. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

One huge advantage the GOP has in this moment in time is that I have no idea how to explain this case and the implications of it to a person who isn't as terminally online as I am without sounding like a complete crank. As shocking as the Roe ruling was to a lot of people, I don't get the sense that the average person is at all ready to believe that we're a court ruling away from the functional end of American democracy.

• Halal 5

3 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Dems just need to shout this shit to the heavens and make public aware.. (not that they will care)…

Schedule a literal emergency state of the union address and outline exactly whats about to happen.. lay out the GOP plan for all to see and then announce the necessary and extreme actions you intend to take to prevent this..the GOP are in the Endgame, stop thinking there is a compromise to be found…. 

They won’t do that because they’re all on the same shit eating team at the end of the day. lmao

“Under the U.S. Constitution, the state courts do not have a blank check to rewrite state election laws for federal elections,” Kavanaugh wrote, adding that a state court “may not depart from the state election code enacted by the legislature.”

“The Constitution provides that state legislatures — not federal judges, not state judges, not state governors, not other state officials — bear primary responsibility for setting election rules,” Gorsuch wrote.

spacer.png

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The Constitution provides that state legislatures — not federal judges, not state judges, not state governors, not other state officials — bear primary responsibility for setting election rules,” Gorsuch wrote.

Fact check: false

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Fact check: false

It’s called the ‘Independent State Legislature’ theory, and if it’s strictly applied, shit gets crazy:

For example, under ISL if an elected state legislature were to announce today that in 2024 it will pick presidential electors itself without regard to what the state voters desire, even if the state constitution provides that electors shall be chosen by the people, there is nothing any other organ of state government—the Governor; the courts, as in the North Carolina case; the people themselves—can do about that. Or if a state legislature announces today that it—rather than election officials or courts—shall adjudicate any post-election disputes over who actually won, such an arrogation of power would have to be respected, even if it flatly contradicted a state constitutional provision requiring administrative or judicial review of such election disputes.

44 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I’m well aware of the independent state legislature theory. I’ve been mentioning this stuff since before the 2020 election   They’ve made no secret of their intent! Because you will see this case come up a lot in the coming years, particularly the dissent from Roberts

What is missing (and what I’ve fact checked as false here) from the textual argument from gorsuch is very curious: he doesn’t mention the power of congress to supersede the power of the legislatures. Because for all the textual or originalism it’s all just a power grab. 

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, unogueen said:

How am I wrong.

I mean.... Half the population just lost some of their healthcare. Unless our definitions of "fortifying" are irreconcilable, I don't see how you can make this argument. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, unogueen said:

How am I wrong.

What does it mean to be wrong?

Does it mean you are merely the opposite of right?  Is it a simple matter of difference?  Is your wrongness solely that which is different from your rightness?  But then how could such rightness be defined, save as a contrast to some wrongness?

Or maybe it's a matter of words, of whether the semantic content of the words you say correspond to truths out in the world or not.  But then how could we quantify this correspondence? And what if there are other possible words? If your words correspond to truths in some other world, can we say you are wrong, even if no such correspondence holds in this one?

How about this: the proposition that 'the Supreme Court is on the brink of opening up the door for the functional end of American democracy and has begun rolling back the rights and freedoms won from the struggles of the twentieth century, but political polarization is so extreme that 50% of the country thinks this is a good and sustainable thing, when it IS A VERY BAD AND UNSUSTAINABLE THING' currently corresponds to a metric fuckton of truth in our world.  Ergo, you are wrong, unless you are a multidimensional being living in multiple worlds at once, and in one of those worlds the US republic is not a total shit-show at the moment.  If that happens to be the case, please tell anyone who's complaining in that world to keep in mind "that it could always get a lot worse."

• Halal 2

You miss my point. America was designed as a playground for extremist perverts. Rather better to reconcile the propaganda from the reality and read the room. We're discussing a nation that is the height of decadence, for a price. It's not exactly the billionaires or the corps paying the bills, is it?

3 hours ago, unogueen said:

You miss my point. America was designed as a playground for extremist perverts. Rather better to reconcile the propaganda from the reality and read the room. We're discussing a nation that is the height of decadence, for a price. It's not exactly the billionaires or the corps paying the bills, is it?

Perhaps they are, but the power brokers know how to reach into the souls of millions without ever going too far. God is dead. They've dusted him off and set him in a little cupboard and are now turning the world into a soulless computer-controlled farm of labor. No eyes, no laughter, no magic. And not even the corporations are paying for it anymore.

• Haha 1