Major water cutbacks loom as shrinking Colorado River nears ‘moment of reckoning’

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

As the Colorado River water shortage worsens, major cutbacks are needed to reduce most perilous risks, a federal official tells senators.

I'm a bit anxious about this situation, seeing as how I live in Las Vegas.  If most of the cuts can be directed at non essential agriculture (like alfalfa and almonds) as well as other industrial and commercial users of large amounts of water, then the authorities may be able to stabilize this looming crisis. I hope this spurns more wind and solar installations, as those power sources are not dependent on a constant source of water for evaporation, like (most) natural gas power plants are. 

Just now, legend said:

Sorry, this calamity is bad and all, but it's going to have to get in line like the rest of calamities needing attention.

This could all be solved if every river only had a single door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sicko Sherman 1

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If you guys have ever done a dam tour at Hoover dam, you'd see how much the tunnel walls leak water.  If they could plug those leaks, a lot of water would be saved.

Is this some kind of vague Trumpism reference? Because it sounds like something he would say lol

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’m serious guys: pump sea water to the Great Salt Lake and desalinate along the way. 

move over housing and land use, this is my new hobby horse!

I mean the Great Salt Lake is starting to turn into a toxic wasteland, so sure, why not. I mean it to the mormons to establish their land on something that will kill them. 

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In all seriousness, we are probably about two decades (if we're lucky!) away from a major metropolitan area in the Southwest running out of water.

Well good news is that viable fusion energy always just happens to be two decades away! We can use all that cheap, near limitless energy for massive desalination projects!

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’m serious guys: pump sea water to the Great Salt Lake and desalinate along the way. 

move over housing and land use, this is my new hobby horse!

Pump sea water into some carved out chunk of no man's land Arizona. Then take a chunk of the unbearable Arizona desert, solar it up, and use that power to desalinate everything coming out of no man's land.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Forget pumping and pipelines. Just have a fleet of helicopters that constantly go back and forth to the ocean and dump the water in the lake.

Nuke all that Mexican desert between the US and the Gulf of California and give Arizona some seaside property.

11 hours ago, silentbob said:
220613220042-pipe-creek-beach-super-teas
WWW.CNN.COM

A 47-year-old woman died Saturday after she fell in to the Colorado River, according a news release from the National Park Service.

I guess the reckoning has started with the first human sacrifice

With the topic at hand, I assumed the story was going to be “lady fell into shallow river and hit her head on a rock”. Whoops.

The lake is currently dropping about a foot a week.  

The minimum elevation to generate power at Hoover Dam is reported by BOR to be 1,050 feet, below which the reservoir is considered an “inactive pool.” Water above 1,050 feet elevation is considered “live storage” and a “dead pool” exists at 895 feet in elevation, which is the lowest water outlet at Hoover Dam.

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/nature/storage-capacity-of-lake-mead.htm

The lake is currently at ~1044 feet, so it's technically in the inactive pool stage, which means power generation is in danger of no longer being produced.  I somewhat question this 1050 foot mark, as I think this would be a bigger news story right now, especially here in the Las Vegas area. 

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the videos coming out of this youtube channel.  They do a good job documenting the actual physical effects of the lake dropping.