Female WaPo journalist complains about male colleague's sexist twitter RT. He gets suspended, she gets fired

Weige retweeted a stupid joke. He promptly deleted the retweet, apologized, and still got suspended for a month. That’s all fine, but Sonmez had such a hardcore meltdown afterwards that it seems pretty obvious she was purposely trying to get fired.

• Halal 2

The baseline for reporters should be tweet links to your stories and others at the publication you work for and that's it. This specific problem and problems with reporters in general these days is treating twitter like both a public square and extended workplace at the same time.

Either Dave is allowed to tweet offensive stuff and Felicia is allowed to go on an extended tirade or neither are; you don't get a pass for unprofessional conduct just because you have a fair complaint.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

21 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The baseline for reporters should be tweet links to your stories and others at the publication you work for and that's it. This specific problem and problems with reporters in general these days is treating twitter like both a public square and extended workplace at the same time.

Either Dave is allowed to tweet offensive stuff and Felicia is allowed to go on an extended tirade or neither are; you don't get a pass for unprofessional conduct just because you have a fair complaint.

I agree. On Facebook they have a policy against setting up multiple accounts or accounts under fake names, but that's not the case on Twitter. There's nothing really stopping reporters from having a personal account to tweet bad jokes and workplace complaints and whatever else while not leveraging the audience that is following them for their work product or other professional views. I have the feeling that if you asked reporters why they don't do that, they'd probably ask why they should have to "hide" their opinions or their jokes.

I don't think she was trying to get fired in order to secure some kind of settlement, and I think that she had a valid complaint, but at the same time it's understandable that maybe the organization you work for wouldn't be too happy if you keep putting them and your coworkers on blast.

Social media presents a particularly sticky set of problems for employers and employees when being active on social media is part of the job. Maybe the best route is for these sorts of public facing employees to have a work only social media account and a personal only account?

Clearly mixing business with pleasure is not working

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Social media presents a particularly sticky set of problems for employers and employees when being active on social media is part of the job. Maybe the best route is for these sorts of public facing employees to have a work only social media account and a personal only account?

Clearly mixing business with pleasure is not working

Or have a very visible icon that indicates "off duty" vs  "On duty", like a cab! 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

This board also regularly features significantly worse jokes than the dumb one Dave retweeted. Wade should probably purge the board every year just in case one of you ever becomes a celebrity.

I'm not a celebrity and I'm glad there was a board purge. I've probably said some awful things. Shit, I still do say some awful things.

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This reminded me of a bunch of people getting mad at me on this board for mentioning in the aftermath of the helicopter crash that Kobe is a difficult character to cover because he was supremely talented and influential, but also probably raped a woman and got away with it.

The pitchforks were OUT 😂

The pitchforks were out because he wasn't even confirmed dead yet and you were trying to be Mr. Edgelord about it already. 

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The pitchforks were out because he wasn't even confirmed dead yet and you were trying to be Mr. Edgelord about it already. 

I’m not “edgelord” about anything. What I typed here is almost verbatim what I said then, and it remains true! And hilariously, I even linked to a dozen major news stories that brought up the same things about the complicated nature of Bryant’s legacy from the same day. Buncha edgelords at ESPN, I guess?

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This board also regularly features significantly worse jokes than the dumb one Dave retweeted. Wade should probably purge the board every year just in case one of you ever becomes a celebrity.

Wade easily says the most cancellable stuff by far lmao

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think it’s a matter of judgment.  Sure, I say and mock far darker things here than I would elsewhere, but none of you know who the hell I am and the very few that do also wouldn’t bother to do anything with that knowledge.  You can bet your ass that if my account name were my legal name and it linked to my actual employer, I’d be whistling a different tune.  

12 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’m probably not going to have to worry about the celebrity angle personally, but I have thought about this, and it’s why I’ll probably never invite someone I know IRL to this site. I don’t think I’ve ever said anything particularly heinous, but… 

You've joked about casual pedophilia that could be taken really bad out of context. People don't understand the culture of our Shower. 

... Shit.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:10 PM, TwinIon said:

I agree. On Facebook they have a policy against setting up multiple accounts or accounts under fake names, but that's not the case on Twitter. There's nothing really stopping reporters from having a personal account to tweet bad jokes and workplace complaints and whatever else while not leveraging the audience that is following them for their work product or other professional views. I have the feeling that if you asked reporters why they don't do that, they'd probably ask why they should have to "hide" their opinions or their jokes.

I don't think she was trying to get fired in order to secure some kind of settlement, and I think that she had a valid complaint, but at the same time it's understandable that maybe the organization you work for wouldn't be too happy if you keep putting them and your coworkers on blast.

If she was trying to get fired to sue, she went about it terribly. I can't see any judge finding she was fired without cause. She was warned privately, then publicly by management. Multiple coworkers asked her to stop and take it in private. She continued to attack every employee who disagreed with her in any way. I'm certainly not a legal expert, but there is no problem finding cause in her actions.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:31 AM, brucoe said:

I make lots of jokes here, but nothing that I'd be embarrassed to see rise back to the surface if I was ever to become famous.

I think one time I said in complete earnesty that I thought women couldn't be funny and then went on for a couple paragraphs thinking I could justify it.