Timmie's switches from coffee to spying

They have been coasting on nostalgia for years. There is a reason that McDonalds has become the #1 coffee place in Canada: after Tim Hortons was bought out by Burger King/that Brazilian company, they switched away from their existing coffee supplier to a cheaper one. McDonalds took their old supplier...meaning that if you want the old Tim's coffee (which was good) you now go to McDonalds. I mean, it's not the world's best coffee, but for $1 fast food coffee it's great.

I haven't fully dug into the information but I'm wondering how much of this is a serious issue of them over capturing vs people not understanding what the app means by determining how far away you are for your order to be made and what other apps do vs the later but tims failed to explain that in their T&C. If it's the later that isn't much different than what most food places and delivery apps (Uber Eats) do.

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They have been coasting on nostalgia for years. There is a reason that McDonalds has become the #1 coffee place in Canada: after Tim Hortons was bought out by Burger King/that Brazilian company, they switched away from their existing coffee supplier to a cheaper one. McDonalds took their old supplier...meaning that if you want the old Tim's coffee (which was good) you now go to McDonalds. I mean, it's not the world's best coffee, but for $1 fast food coffee it's great.

I always hear this story and oddly for me the current tims coffee is somewhat better than McD as it's just plain awful on all levels. I mostly skip tims and more keep to my favorite local places or making it at home but I really don't get the love for McD's coffee.

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

3G capital are like the aliens in Independence Day.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I haven't fully dug into the information but I'm wondering how much of this is a serious issue of them over capturing vs people not understanding what the app means by determining how far away you are for your order to be made and what other apps do vs the later but tims failed to explain that in their T&C.

I would be very surprised if Brodkin fucked this up on that level. 

• 8 months later...

So they give you one of each (coffee & doughnut), I got my free doughnut but it was just awful, tasted super stale. I use to be ok with tims but the quality feels worse than pre-pandemic. Not to mention they keep getting rid of the decent stuff (Double Double (aka coffee) timbits were great).

While doughnut/donut options seem to be growing in Toronto it's still too often over priced crap. I just want a good classic style doughnut. There is a place I recently found out about that I'm hopefully will be good when I get a chance to try it (Harry and Heels California Donuts).

Tom Hortons is B-tier coffee at best. If you want fast food coffee then McDonalds is the far better option in Canada (and as mentioned numerous times before, they got good by picking up Tim Hortons' previous bean supplier after TH cut costs and went with a cheaper supplier). Obviously you can make better stuff at home for cheaper, but if you're out and about and need to get something quick, then I'd pick McD over TH ten times out of ten.

• True 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Tom Hortons is B-tier coffee at best. If you want fast food coffee then McDonalds is the far better option in Canada (and as mentioned numerous times before, they got good by picking up Tim Hortons' previous bean supplier after TH cut costs and went with a cheaper supplier). Obviously you can make better stuff at home for cheaper, but if you're out and about and need to get something quick, then I'd pick McD over TH ten times out of ten.

I find McD's coffee awful to nearly undrinkable. Either way both should be ignored when you can get better coffee for not much more.

43 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Fast food coffee in Canada should be limited to Timothy's, Second Cup or Starbucks.

Timmy's is barely recognizable as coffee.

Timothy's feels almost non existent in the DT Toronto I find, Second Cup can be decent if you find an ok location. Luckily DT has been getting some fantastic alternatives like Pilot & Hale Coffee.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I find McD's coffee awful to nearly undrinkable. Either way both should be ignored when you can get better coffee for not much more.

Timothy's feels almost non existent in the DT Toronto I find, Second Cup can be decent if you find an ok location. Luckily DT has been getting some fantastic alternatives like Pilot & Hale Coffee.

I was mostly thinking of the larger chains.  Smaller coffee shops are usually better (and not more expensive).

TBH, I mostly make my coffee at home (or when I am in Montreal, at the office).

And I am judging solely based on their Americano -- because that is what I drink 95% of the time. 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was mostly thinking of the larger chains.  Smaller coffee shops are usually better (and not more expensive).

TBH, I mostly make my coffee at home (or when I am in Montreal, at the office).

And I am judging solely based on their Americano -- because that is what I drink 95% of the time. 

I also make most of my coffee at home via pour over. So it's rare I grab a coffee outside but if I do I tend to go to Hale (even though my beans come from pilot, lol). Luckily the pandemic didn't kill the smaller places and most have been growing a lot in the DT core, which is great.

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I also make most of my coffee at home via pour over. So it's rare I grab a coffee outside but if I do I tend to go to Hale (even though my beans come from pilot, lol). Luckily the pandemic didn't kill the smaller places and most have been growing a lot in the DT core, which is great.

I'll be honest, I've never heard of Pilot/Hale -- are they a recent (last fifteen years) downtown Toronto thing?

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

* Roasted

I also drink a fair bit of fermented wheat and barley water.

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you only exposure to coffee is mass market and Starbucks I can see why you’d say burnt

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess I'm the only person on the board who owned a coffee roasting company, and has roasted thousands of pounds of coffee myself :p  

(https://www.pearlandcoffeeroasters.com of my former business ventures!)

I'm glad people like that burnt bean water though!

3 hours ago, chakoo said:

While doughnut/donut options seem to be growing in Toronto it's still too often over priced crap. I just want a good classic style doughnut. There is a place I recently found out about that I'm hopefully will be good when I get a chance to try it (Harry and Heels California Donuts).

If you’re ever in the Hamilton or Waterdown area. You gotta check out Sweet Paradise for their donuts. Their Apple Fritter and especially their Dutchies are amazing. The donuts are huge and once they’re out for the day, they’re out. I haven’t tried them but over the summer a Duck’s Donut store opened pretty much in the plaza by my house. I believe they do fresh donuts on the spot with your choice of fancy finishes for icing/toppings. Might actually have to try them one day

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess I'm the only person on the board who owned a coffee roasting company, and has roasted thousands of pounds of coffee myself :p  

(https://www.pearlandcoffeeroasters.com of my former business ventures!)

I'm glad people like that burnt bean water though!

Listen, you wouldn’t be the first business owner with no appreciation of the product to do well and that’s ok

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Listen, you wouldn’t be the first business owner with no appreciation of the product to do well and that’s ok

You are right that I don't appreciate it. Thinking of my thread about red velvet cake being a mean trick, I don't think there is anything in food and beverage that smells sooooooo good and tastes sooooooo bad as coffee does to me. The MEANEST trick :lol: I've actually wondered if this might be a genetic mutation thing like people who taste soap when they eat cilantro. It is absolutely dreadful to me.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

I just use a Mr. Coffee machine but I have trouble falling asleep at night if I have a cup of coffee even at like 1 PM nowadays. So I just extremely rarely have a reason to buy a cup of coffee. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'll be honest, I've never heard of Pilot/Hale -- are they a recent (last fifteen years) downtown Toronto thing?

15 years is a pretty wide gap. Now 5 years is more accurate and yes they've blown up in the last 5 years. Pilot is well known for their beans.

https://www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com/locations

https://www.halecoffee.com/pages/all-locations

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

If you’re ever in the Hamilton or Waterdown area. You gotta check out Sweet Paradise for their donuts. Their Apple Fritter and especially their Dutchies are amazing. The donuts are huge and once they’re out for the day, they’re out. I haven’t tried them but over the summer a Duck’s Donut store opened pretty much in the plaza by my house. I believe they do fresh donuts on the spot with your choice of fancy finishes for icing/toppings. Might actually have to try them one day

Man the place I miss which is also from Hamilton (they use to have a location in DT) is Donut Monster (https://www.donutmonster.ca/), their Apple Fritters were really good.

spacer.png

With that said, I still so badly miss simple classic donuts from any mom & pop shop back in Cali. -.- Too many places are big on being fancy fillings in a bland donut or donuts caked in toppings (Donut Monster is guilty of this but their fritters make up for it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

You are right that I don't appreciate it. Thinking of my thread about red velvet cake being a mean trick, I don't think there is anything in food and beverage that smells sooooooo good and tastes sooooooo bad as coffee does to me. The MEANEST trick :lol: I've actually wondered if this might be a genetic mutation thing like people who taste soap when they eat cilantro. It is absolutely dreadful to me.

I am begging you to have one good (food related) opinion

23 minutes ago, chakoo said:

15 years is a pretty wide gap. Now 5 years is more accurate and yes they've blown up in the last 5 years. Pilot is well known for their beans.

https://www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com/locations

https://www.halecoffee.com/pages/all-locations

Man the place I miss which is also from Hamilton (they use to have a location in DT) is Donut Monster (https://www.donutmonster.ca/), their Apple Fritters were really good.

spacer.png

With that said, I still so badly miss simple classic donuts from any mom & pop shop back in Cali. -.- Too many places are big on being fancy fillings in a bland donut or donuts caked in toppings (Donut Monster is guilty of this but their fritters make up for it).

old co-worker use to always mentioned these guys for a great donut. We have another fancy donut place that I remember him saying were pretty too SunshineDonuts. That is a beautiful fritter though, Sweet Paradise looks close to them but just maybe a little smaller, depending on the baker. Some days they are smaller (still bigger than Timmies) and other days, they are huge. Their Dutchies on the other hand, look about the same size of the Fritter above. 

• Halal 1