US Army selects replacement for the M4 and M249 #ScrewNATOStandards

14 minutes ago, CayceG said:

If we're going to 6.8 what happens to the rest of the NATO standard 5.56? This seems... like not a good choice. 

This is replacing both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO for Brigade Combat Teams, M4 will still be issued to POGs, The Army also issued an RFP to convert M240s to 6.8mm. In theory any 7.62 NATO weapon can fire 6.8mm with a barrel change, BUT the sig chamber pressures are so crazy they'll blow up. The TV polymer round runs at normal pressure and would have been an easier swap, but would break the industrial base. 

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

This is replacing both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO for Brigade Combat Teams, M4 will still be issued to POGs, The Army also issued an RFP to convert M240s to 6.8mm. In theory any 7.62 NATO weapon can fire 6.8mm with a barrel change, BUT the sig chamber pressures are so crazy they'll blow up. The TV polymer round runs at normal pressure and would have been an easier swap, but would break the industrial based. 

Man, the MIC must be jumping for joy over this one. 

32 minutes ago, silentbob said:

So when do these go on sale for true Americans

200.gif

You know the ones that must defend themselves at home from other Americans who also probably bought the same gun to protect themselves with. It’s pretty much like Spy Vs Spy setting down there already

Already on sale for $8k, but with a lower pressure cartridge so the gun doesn't explode when you shoot an intruder 3 houses over through your neighbors walls. 

mcx-spear-commercial-web-left.jpg
WWW.SIGSAUER.COM

First Production Run Special Edition Now Available at Select Dealers MSRP: $7999.00

It's the "first edition" or whatever, so the price is insanely high, but within a few years it should come done to more affordable levels.  I doubt it will be as cheap as a mil-spec AR-15, due to the fact that Sig will have a monopoly on the design for years to come.

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't know what any of this means, and whether those specifications are good or bad, so uh...how long before I can use these in Call of Duty and Battlefield, I guess? 

Basically its a middle ground between 5.56 and 7.62 to increase stopping power over the 5.56 without overly compromising weight like the 7.62, the obvious downside is no one else uses this so they'd also have to adopt the round or US troops will only be able to use their ammo on the battlefield or take enemy weapons.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't know what any of this means, and whether those specifications are good or bad, so uh...how long before I can use these in Call of Duty and Battlefield, I guess? 

It's already in Battlefield 2042 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Can someone ELI5 the significance of NATO and 5.56 rounds? Are all NATO countries supposed to use the same size?

If you're in NATO your country can use any standard issue rifle so long as it is in 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 NATO, simplifies wartime logistics, same with 9mm for pistols. Funny thing is a whole bunch of NATO countries just bought new 5.56 rifles.

29 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

So.... now all the other NATO states are going to have to buy a whole bunch of new 6.8 rifles and a whole lot of weapons manufacturers are going to get even more rich?

... Sounds about right.

I don't think there is a requirement that they do so.  It's not like 5.56 would cease to be produced - the civilian market alone for this ammunition is huge, which means manufacturers around the world will continue to pump out millions upon millions of rounds every year.  If the Italian army (or whoever) wants to continue to use 5.56, I'm sure they'll be able to do so for decades.

If anything, first adopters of the new rifle and round will have issues with getting enough of the ammo that they need, not the countries that choose to hold off on switching.