HBO returns to Baltimore on April 25: We Own This City (mini-series) from David Simon and George Pelecanos (The Wire) - Official Trailer

69los

I can easily vouch for the book this miniseries is based on!

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

The astonishing true story of “one of the most startling police corruption scandals in a generation” (The New York Times), from the Pulitzer Prize–nominated reporter who exposed...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to HBO returns to Baltimore on April 25: We Own This City (mini-series) from David Simon and George Pelecanos (The Wire)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to HBO returns to Baltimore on April 25: We Own This City (mini-series) from David Simon and George Pelecanos (The Wire) - Official Trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 69los said:

Nice to see Sgt. Landsman promoted to Commish. :p

My head canon needs to be adjusted. As a fan of The Strain. I figured Marlo decided to move to New York and changed his name. Now he got off the streets by joining the BPD.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This series is about as searing an indictment of policing in the United States as you could possibly get, but what else could you possibly expect from the creative team behind The Wire?  Every hour of this show is incredibly compelling and my attention has yet to waver from what's on-screen.  The only quibble I have is that the non-linear timeline the show uses can be a bit on the confusing side sometimes though this is somewhat mitigated by the use of an on-screen "run sheet" that the officers fill out and date orienting the audience in the year that the subsequent scene(s) occur.

While the show is (unsurprisingly) largely devoid of humor, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself that a drug dealer actually used his personal cell phone (not a burner!) to contact an active duty cop with whom he had a personal/professional relationship to report that he had found a tracking device on his car which was placed there by another group of cops who were monitoring his cell phone activity.  Now, I'm not a criminal mastermind or anything but I'm pretty damned sure that's NOT something that you're supposed to do! :rofl:

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, the final episode's depiction of what happened to Detective Sean Suiter has reopened some still raw wounds (spoilers for those who haven't seen the series or are familiar with the case):

Spoiler
bd70383f-01c1-4b7f-85c1-a23260027038-lar
WJLA.COM

HBO's new series spotlighting Baltimore City's disbanded Gun Trace Task Force came to a close this week, and the ending is causing controversy. The final episode of "We Own This City" aired Monday. In it, the fate of Sean Suiter as filmmakers see it. RELATED |Where are they now? FOX45 looks at the 8 former officers of the Gun Trace Task Force. The show clearly depicts the detective's on-duty death as a suicide. When in reality, the line between fact and...

My personal thoughts regarding how the show could've better handled this particular event:

Spoiler

By depicting the sequence of events that led to Suiter’s death from his perspective, the show effectively “endorses” the conclusion of the Independent Review Board (IRB) that Suiter took his own life and therefore discounts the possibility that it was actually a homicide.  Even though the possibility of homicide is mentioned in an on-screen text blurb, that really isn’t enough to compensate for the actual visual depiction that heavily implies suicide in the mind of the viewer. A more effective means of visually conveying the ambiguity of the events surrounding the death of Detective Suiter would’ve been to visually frame them from the perspective of Detective David Bomenka, who was Suiter’s partner on the day of his death and who claims that the shooting occurred out of his view.

• Halal 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:14 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Unsurprisingly, the final episode's depiction of what happened to Detective Sean Suiter has reopened some still raw wounds (spoilers for those who haven't seen the series or are familiar with the case):

Reveal hidden contents

My personal thoughts regarding how the show could've better handled this particular event:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

gotta disagree with you on this one. While the show doesnt really go in depth on the independent review . The review is pretty damning in its findings that it was self inflicted. I think it does a disservice to the story to go down the ambiguity route.

w_800
WWW.CNN.COM

A Baltimore police detective who officials initially said was fatally shot in a struggle with a suspect actually took his own life with his service weapon, according to an independent report released Tuesday.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching this. As expected, it was extremely compelling TV. And a damning indictment of the BPD and really policing as a whole. Yeah, the bad guys went to prison at the end, but the entire system is so fucked up, you don’t really feel much of a sense of justice. 

It was hard watching the earlier episodes where the DOJ folks were anticipating a Clinton administration and the reality of the election outcome. I can’t imagine what those people felt like, knowing they were gonna sit on their asses with an administration that didn’t give a shit about civil rights. 

Really just gut wrenching as a whole.