Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

Xenoblade 1 has the best story pacing and concept.

Xenoblade X has the best exploration and traversal.

Xenobalde 2 has the best closing act and world lore.

Torna has the best combat and characters.

Xenoblade 3 has the best side content and customization.

Xenoblade 1 has the worst side quests and inventory management.

Xenoblade X has the worst plot progression, music, characters and combat (especially in skells).

Xenoblade 2 has the worst systems driven bloat and anime cringe.

Torna has the worst … length?  But also the best?

Xenoblade 3 has the worst developed antagonists and localization/lingo.

1 > 3 > Torna > 2 >>>> X

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And story.

Yes, but I do love the concept behind the primary conflict and plot twist. Like that's really good sci-fi and opens up some wildly interesting philosophical discussions. The game just can't land it or even push it very far.

I'm waiting for all DLC to release but in the mean time I have started XB2. Lost my save progress in the migration to the OLED Switch and 4k@30FPS is nice. Plus Mythra and Pyra are some of my most prized PVC figs. Hope I can get Kos-MOS easily again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I'm not familiar with this series, is it something I can jump right into?

I've only played a handful of jrpg's over the years but I do enjoy turn based combat if that is what is provided here. I am looking for a great RPG and this has gotten a lot of praise. 

Did you guys enjoy it? Worth buying?

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If I'm not familiar with this series, is it something I can jump right into?

Pretty much. While the games share an over arching universe they are mostly self contained stories. I've seen someone compare it to Amazing Spider-Man vs The Spectacular Spider-Man in a way. Same but separate. Maybe this is confusing to you so the answer to your question, "yes"

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I've only played a handful of jrpg's over the years but I do enjoy turn based combat if that is what is provided here. I am looking for a great RPG and this has gotten a lot of praise.

The combat is not turn based. However, much like @stepee's thread you can get very granular on tuning the difficulty level of the combat of the game, like adjusting enemy attack power, enemy HP and increasing your own power (for instance) - This is only for the second game though, I guess they changed it for 3 which has only 3 choices. I know you didn't ask that but if you just want to cruise through the story you can put it on easy and it should be pretty easy.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Pretty much. While the games share an over arching universe they are mostly self contained stories. I've seen someone compare it to Amazing Spider-Man vs The Spectacular Spider-Man in a way. Same but separate. Maybe this is confusing to you so the answer to your question, "yes"

The combat is not turn based. However, much like @stepee's thread you can get very granular on tuning the difficulty level of the combat of the game, like adjusting enemy attack power, enemy HP and increasing your own power (for instance) - This is only for the second game though, I guess they changed it for 3 which has only 3 choices. I know you didn't ask that but if you just want to cruise through the story you can put it on easy and it should be pretty easy.

Thank you for the post. I'm going to get it this morning. I'll keep in mind to keep it on easy because I'm awful at games.

• Hugs 1

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Played 2 hours. It started out very interesting and it has kept my interest. We will see how long I play this but my first impression is good. 

It’s crazy how many times they keep introducing new combat mechanics. Each I got to a point where I thought “huh, this is the combat? I’m gonna get bored soon” boom, new mechanic that completely changes it. I didn’t finish it because I’m also at a point in my life where I struggle to finish 20 hour games let alone 120 hours games but I genuinely enjoyed my time with it despite not finishing it. It’s a great game. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s a rewarding game to finish, I’ll say that much.  Ending is top notch.

I still have to wrap some things up in the post-game, I'll probably do that once the expansion gets a date.

This has been terrific! 5 hours playing today flew by. The presentation, story, music, characters, and voice acting are tremendous. Sure, the graphics aren't cutting edge but the style of the game squashes that notion. 

I'm way more impressed than I was expecting. Again, I don't know if I can beat this but it deserves all the praise it gets. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

This has been terrific! 5 hours playing today flew by. The presentation, story, music, characters, and voice acting are tremendous. Sure, the graphics aren't cutting edge but the style of the game squashes that notion. 

I'm way more impressed than I was expecting. Again, I don't know if I can beat this but it deserves all the praise it gets. 

I don’t know who you are or what you did with Best. But I’m glad you are enjoying Nintendo games again. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Hey I’m glad you actually gave it a shot.  It’s not a perfect video game, but I agree, the tone is amazing throughout.  If you can make it far enough, its biggest twist(s) hit really hard.

The whole series deserves praise, they all have their own strengths.  Glad you’re getting a taste of what you’ve missed.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Don’t forget Wo Long

Did you ever play this? 

1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

If I ever restart Xenoblsxe Chronicles I’m going in with literally nothing else on my calendar. 

Yea, it's going to be a bitch to play all these games. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

"Nintendo is dead to me."

"I wouldn't touch any of those games."

I jest, but I'm glad you're liking some different stuff.

Yea, I take back a lot of what I said now that I've played Prime remastered and now this. I'm very pleased. 

• Halal 2

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

If 3 ends really well I'll definitely try part 1.

The nice thing is that you can enjoy 3 perfectly fine without needing to play the others.  There's some in-references, but not much of consequence to the past, and you'd still enjoy plenty on the other end going back to 1 and 2.  Starting with 3 is sort of like someone new to Zelda playing Breath of the Wild.  The Temple of Time won't mean as much, but BotW also isn't trying to say much with it.

STAY AWAY from the upcoming story DLC though, haha.  It seems to be made for people who completed all three mainline games.  Gutsy, but I'm totally here for it!

• Thanks 1