Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

18 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Nope. I love JRPGs but the stories are cookie cutter nonsense.

14-19 year old child is "the chosen one" destined to save the world. Throw in some horny anime tropes and you have 95% of jrpgs.

FFIV and VI have great, straight forward stories. 

Chrono Trigger has a great story. 

Xenogears has an incredible (but very complex) story. 

Y's 8. So far Trails of Cold Steel is also very good.   

Triangle Strategy has an excellent story. 

Theres plenty more, but if all the JRPG'S you're playing are chosen one stories, you missed a lot. 

Ill agree that in general, they could definitely be a little less horny though. Playing Trails of Cold Steel right now, snd every single female on your team looks like a perfect, silicon enhanced, Anime playboy model (except the one that looks like a child, becauseof course), optional bunny ears included. I definitely wish Japanese devs would move away from some of that stuff. Especially the shit with hyper sexualized children (and the ridiculous fan excuse that they aren't actually children), but I stay away from that stuff completely, I find it disturbing.

On Topic: I'm about 18 hours into this game, and it's a ton of fun. I really like the gravity of the whole situation, especially with Mio. Gonna be really interesting to see where this goes. This was the perfect time to release this game. Nothing big nearby it (I'll be buying Cult of the Lamb on the 11th, but thats it until Cowabunga Collection)  Giving people a month to get through it before big releases hit in September was a really great move, instead of launching it in the middle of the fall season. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

Mother f...20 hours into this game and, because I skipped some of the tips and tutorials, I'm only now learning you can switch into and even play the game from first person?

LIFEHACKER.COM

With the right setting changes, you can turn this epic JRPG into an immersive first-person adventure.

Also, I need to stop being stupid. I was complaining to myself that I didn't want to have to grind to complete some side quests when I remembered that the only reason I was grinding was because I kept trying to venture off into those lands where the red enemy levels are supposed to scare your away.

40 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Mother f...20 hours into this game and, because I skipped some of the tips and tutorials, I'm only now learning you can switch into and even play the game from first person?

LIFEHACKER.COM

With the right setting changes, you can turn this epic JRPG into an immersive first-person adventure.

Also, I need to stop being stupid. I was complaining to myself that I didn't want to have to grind to complete some side quests when I remembered that the only reason I was grinding was because I kept trying to venture off into those lands where the red enemy levels are supposed to scare your away.

No way I could play in first person. In fact, I have to zoom the camera back some to be able to see what’s going on in battles. (Hold ZL and use right stick)

• Halal 1

45 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

playing on regular but I have to say it feels like I am playing on easy. Maybe it's my imagination but I remember the previous games feeling harder. Not that I am really complaining as the game is fun

I’ve lost a couple battles but I chose to fight an enemy much higher leveled than me 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:32 PM, EternallDarkness said:

playing on regular but I have to say it feels like I am playing on easy. Maybe it's my imagination but I remember the previous games feeling harder. Not that I am really complaining as the game is fun

That's a common complaint from what I've read.  There's been a few unique monsters that gave me trouble, but I'm also happy that battles move quicker than they did in XB2.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That's a common complaint from what I've read.  There's been a few unique monsters that gave me trouble, but I'm also happy that battles move quicker than they did in XB2.

well to be fair becoming OP early on is a kind of a hallmark of the series :lol: though I seem to remember there being more random wicked high level and aggressive monsters roaming around in X2

hit the 30 hours mark and I feel like I am still not that far in. I mean I am in chapter 3, have 4 or 5 heroes, unlocks to the party travel skills and yet I almost feel like I've done nothing but side quests, but I'm enjoying myself so much I only occasional notice I'm not working on the main story mission :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Just wonder off to where you're "not supposed to be". I picked up a level 40 hero before I even had the option for some level 25 heroes. I haven't even seen any level 30 heroes yet. Yeah, it makes main story bosses too easy, but I'll trade more tough unique monsters over a few averagly difficult bosses. I kind of prefer it too since those boss battles are always bookends with huge cutscenes I don't want to have to skip through.

That said, I can't believe there are still MORE play options opening up and MORE character build options opening up 30 hours in.

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

well to be fair becoming OP early on is a kind of a hallmark of the series :lol: though I seem to remember there being more random wicked high level and aggressive monsters roaming around in X2

hit the 30 hours mark and I feel like I am still not that far in. I mean I am in chapter 3, have 4 or 5 heroes, unlocks to the party travel skills and yet I almost feel like I've done nothing but side quests, but I'm enjoying myself so much I only occasional notice I'm not working on the main story mission :lol:

Ha! We're playing exactly the same way. Chapter 3, just fought J, am level 41 with 7 heroes. Chapter 3's recommended level is 17.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Damn! I'm at like 30 or 31. 

You retain all XP, even if the party gets wiped. The only punishment seems to be getting dragged back to the last auto-save area, so like a camp fire, colony, or start of a region. I found this broken down hulk surrounded by 10 level 35 monsters while I was only level 25. The entire reason was all 10+ levels above me. I found it easy enough to defeat them one at a time if I could lure them away. I was being really stubborn about it because I shot past level 30 from an the times I had to restart the mission since all the mobs respawn after your die.

To be fair, my youngest was cheering me on the whole time.

I eventually got the hulk up and running again and so I decided to take a shot at invading a level 40 colony because, at that point, why not. It was then that I decided I should probably resume the actual chapter.

I can't help it. The side quests in this game are actually fun and I always want to complete all the side quests I have before moving on with the main story.

The only exception is I found a hulk surrounded by level 60 monsters, and most of them can one shot me. I'll have to save that one for later.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

The story is legit good. 

One of the things I like about this game compared to the other Xenoblades is that it opens up with wild setting. The other Xenoblades try to normalize the world and then there's a twist where things aren't as normal as they seem. Five minutes in and XC3 is like, we fight from birth and then all fucking die when we turn 10. Just take all the crazy world building and put it up front and see where it goes from there and so far so good. I'm really enjoying this. Easily the best story in a JRPG I've played in quite a while.

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

You retain all XP, even if the party gets wiped. The only punishment seems to be getting dragged back to the last auto-save area, so like a camp fire, colony, or start of a region. I found this broken down hulk surrounded by 10 level 35 monsters while I was only level 25. The entire reason was all 10+ levels above me. I found it easy enough to defeat them one at a time if I could lure them away. I was being really stubborn about it because I shot past level 30 from an the times I had to restart the mission since all the mobs respawn after your die.

To be fair, my youngest was cheering me on the whole time.

I eventually got the hulk up and running again and so I decided to take a shot at invading a level 40 colony because, at that point, why not. It was then that I decided I should probably resume the actual chapter.

I can't help it. The side quests in this game are actually fun and I always want to complete all the side quests I have before moving on with the main story.

The only exception is I found a hulk surrounded by level 60 monsters, and most of them can one shot me. I'll have to save that one for later.

It might best to stick around enemies closer to your level enemies, since you’ll grow your class points more evenly.  I’m not rushing into encounters with high level stuff for that reason.

52 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It might best to stick around enemies closer to your level enemies, since you’ll grow your class points more evenly.  I’m not rushing into encounters with high level stuff for that reason.

Yeah, but I had a quest marker off in the middle of no man's land surrounded by enemies twice my level. Was I supposed to just ignore it?

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

The side content in this game is amazing, they finally got it right.  A good bit of it feels borderline essential to experiencing this game as it should be.  Even better, the most important ones are marked for you.

They really nailed it  I'd love to see them do their next game on better hardware.

• True 1

56 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

They really nailed it  I'd love to see them do their next game on better hardware.

They’ll get their chance.  Still, other than some upscaling/aliasing artifacts, this is the best a Switch game has ever looked IMO.

I should go back to Torna’s desert section and take some comparison shots.  Just out of curiosity.

This might be old news for some folks, but I mostly stayed away from need about this game after the first few trailers.

I had no idea they recreated the flutes Noah and Mio have and used those to record the in-game audio of them playing. Someone at Monolith Soft has some very cool props from this game in their office now.

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This might be old news for some folks, but I mostly stayed away from need about this game after the first few trailers.

I had no idea they recreated the flutes Noah and Mio have and used those to record the in-game audio of them playing. Someone at Monolith Soft has some very cool props from this game in their office now.

The music is incredible. Also I’m on chapter 3 and loving pretty much everything about the game. More and more battle things are still being introduced and crafting. It’s a very deep game. Even the battles are fun to me. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'm 40+ hours in and still on chapter 3 :lol:

And I thought I was bad at times. I'm 50 hours in just finished chapter 4. This game really never stops being good and there are still more play options being introduced and I know there's at least one more that has yet to be introduced.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

And I thought I was bad at times. I'm 50 hours in just finished chapter 4. This game really never stops being good and there are still more play options being introduced and I know there's at least one more that has yet to be introduced.

42 hours, and I just entered chapter 4. 

Im having a blast with this. The first Nintendo exclusive im happy with in a while. Strikers and golf weren't even worth the purchase, I couldn't get into kirby, it was just ok. But this is incredible. Hopefully Mario vs Rabbids is good as well.

This feels like a weird question for a JRPG. Is anyone actually using money in this game? I feel like maybe later in the game I'll be able to buy stuff with money, but right now I'm closer to a million G with the most expensive thing I have to buy being a 6000G swing at one of those fabricators.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This feels like a weird question for a JRPG. Is anyone actually using money in this game? I feel like maybe later in the game I'll be able to buy stuff with money, but right now I'm closer to a million G with the most expensive thing I have to buy being a 6000G swing at one of those fabricators.

no the only time I've really used money is to mess with the fabricators, buy food to get new recipes and just to buy stuff to see if it raised affinity.