Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This game now than XC2 or XC2 really feels like it's not being held back in any real way. Would 60fps, higher poly geometry, and better lighting be nice? Yes, but this is the second game in the series that really feels like it wasn't held back by hardware. Second because I can never call a technical marvel like XCX held back.

XB1’s vision never felt held back by the hardware IMO.  There’s copious amounts of pop in, especially in Makna Forest, but they just went for it anyways and it worked out fine most of the time.   There’s not a single part of that game that feels like they reigned it in for technical reasons.  The way it communicated where you were relative to the larger world was simply mind blowing at the time, and not just for a Wii game.

XB2 had some pretty ambitious set pieces as well, Tantal most particularly. The game still feels a bit more segmented as a whole.  It’s the only one I wonder if they had to dial things back, since several of the later areas are more vanilla but run a lot better.  It’s like they designed Gormott then realized that they couldn’t do that again with the resolution dips.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, crispy4000 said:

Man, fuck joycon drift.  It’s been so long since I used my Switch, I wish I would have sent them in for replacement before this game.  They’ve been getting progressively worse as I’ve gone along.  I’ll power through it.

They are the worst controller ive ever used. From comfort to build quality, they are absolute turds.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

They are the worst controller ive ever used. From comfort to build quality, they are absolute turds.

I don't mind the form factor so much, practicality considered.  I'm one of those weirdos that plays with them in the joycon cradle all the time.  I could stop being lazy and use the 8BitDo adapter I own with another controller... but then I'd have to keep something else charged, and synced to it.  Plus the battery life on them is fantastic.  For a long game like this, that's a plus for me, I hate having my PS controllers die on me so often if I forget a day or two of charging.

HD rumble is a pretty neat, albeit underutilized tech.  I've got a PS5 now, the DualSense in Astrobot does it way better.  But sliding down those ropes in XB3 did remind me that Switch still isn't half bad at it.  It's impressive I can even feel it so much using the cradle.

Do I think they'll improve them in a future Switch?  Yes, and we can hope.  But this drift issue is unforgivable.

• Halal 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:29 PM, crispy4000 said:

Man, fuck joycon drift.  It’s been so long since I used my Switch, I wish I would have sent them in for replacement before this game.  They’ve been getting progressively worse as I’ve gone along.  I’ll power through it.

2e4731e332fb202897ce7ad32f668fc7.gif
GIZMODO.COM

Nintendo hasn't fixed the widespread problem yet, but there's a DIY option.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't mind the form factor so much, practicality considered.  I'm one of those weirdos that plays with them in the joycon cradle all the time.  I could stop being lazy and use the 8BitDo adapter I own with another controller... but then I'd have to keep something else charged, and synced to it.  Plus the battery life on them is fantastic.  For a long game like this, that's a plus for me, I hate having my PS controllers die on me so often if I forget a day or two of charging.

HD rumble is a pretty neat, albeit underutilized tech.  I've got a PS5 now, the DualSense in Astrobot does it way better.  But sliding down those ropes in XB3 did remind me that Switch still isn't half bad at it.  It's impressive I can even feel it so much using the cradle.

Do I think they'll improve them in a future Switch?  Yes, and we can hope.  But this drift issue is unforgivable.

I have a pro controller, so I never use the joycons unless im using handheld mode, which is rare. I have giant hands, with wide, thick thumbs, and I find the buttons on them too small and close together.

All of these her ascension missions are so good.

I do have to ask, though. In regards to Ashera's ascension missions...

Spoiler

I can't be the only one that felt that if Eunie and Ashera knew what sexual tension was, they'd be doing a lot more than making a death pact with one another. These two tsundere idiots were made for each other. I love their chemistry way more than Eunie x Taion, even if that's the implied relationship here. I'm saddened that most Japanese devs aren't willing to take that extra step with a little LGBTQ representation.

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

I'm at 103 hours give or take a few minutes and I am still in chapter 6. Kind of put the story aside to explore the map...especially that annoying ocean area...why does it seem like the ship controls better when driving in reverse? :lol:

Thank you. I thought I was the only one that thought the ship drives better in reverse. It seems to be faster and have a tighter turning radius.

So I’m about 10 hours in and loving this game. The amount of new cool things they keep adding to combat is amazing!

This is my first JRPG in a very long time and I’ve never been huge into the genre. All of the options for class creation are a little overwhelming. Just curious, is it really necessary to keep them in the other classes to level those classes up? I’d honestly just rather keep them in their default classes all game haha

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

So I’m about 10 hours in and loving this game. The amount of new cool things they keep adding to combat is amazing!

This is my first JRPG in a very long time and I’ve never been huge into the genre. All of the options for class creation are a little overwhelming. Just curious, is it really necessary to keep them in the other classes to level those classes up? I’d honestly just rather keep them in their default classes all game haha

No, but several of the later classes are more fun and do play into your larger moveset choices.  You’ll be glad if you do.  You also get the option to keep their original clothes, so you might as well.

There’s also some related quests to class unlocks/leveling that are on par with the main story, that’s another reason to engage with it.

There’s an auto build option if you don’t want to do all the tinkering.  Just switching them without doing it still works out fine mostly.

124 hours is what it took for me to complete the game. It was great. I also REALLY want to know what they gave in store for extra content. I hope we get some actual post-story content because all the post-game content, as far as I can tell, takes place before you fight Z.

End game spoilers...

Spoiler

So, if I have this right, XC1's and XC2's universes, the ones that were occupied by either side of Klaus/Zanza, were on a collision course thanks to the parallel events of XC1 and XC2. XC1 Melia managed to get in touch with XC2 Nia and the two formed a plan to create Origin. They did this because the collision of alternate dimensions would completely destroy both, basically ushering in a new big bang.

Origin would use the energy of all its peoples' dreams and life energy to basically recreate their own universes after the collision. However, the coalescence of all these dreams and lives included every persons' fear of this not working and that gave birth to Z as a reincarnation of Zanza who, instead, used everyone's life energy to keep the collision of universes from ever happening. Only, that required big dream energy to continue in perpetuity and Z decided that teens are probably the biggest source of dream/life energy so he invented a system where folks are born as teens and then die before they grow too old. The reason Gold colonies are destroyed is because they've fulfilled their dreams and are no longer as valuable as everyone else that is still fighting for their lives or for a promotion.

I guess it was impossible to use Origin to create a combined universe where everyone existed at the same time. However, I don't see why it would be impossible to travel between both dimensions at will. Klaus managed to actually LIVE in both dimensions at the same time, so traveling between the two doesn't sound impossible.

Also, Rex totally had kids with all three of his blades. A real harem ending was not what I was expecting for him. Looking at Sena, now I wonder who had kids with Brighid.

• Shocked 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ghost_MH said:

End of chapter 5 spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

Ok, enough ranting from me. I still really like the game's story, but these kinds of plot holes are wildly frustrating.

I turned it off last night right at the

Spoiler

Fight with N at the homecoming.  My understanding is that Lucky 7 was stored in his standard blade, and if he couldn’t summon that, then no Lucky 7.

Resorting to Oroboros wasn’t unexpected, they’ve taken out most Mobeius that way before.

46 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I turned it off last night right at the

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, I was a bit ranty when I wrote that mostly because he really could have used Lucky 7 against N right then and there and just chose not to while he still had access to his blade. That's what set me off. There are actually a huge number of times he should have been using Lucky 7 throughout the game, but chooses not to because it's...too strong or something. It was one of the few very videgame-y things about the game that didn't have a very good in-universe explanation. At least that bit gets fixed later in the game.

• Halal 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, crispy4000 said:

No, but several of the later classes are more fun and do play into your larger moveset choices.  You’ll be glad if you do.  You also get the option to keep their original clothes, so you might as well.

There’s also some related quests to class unlocks/leveling that are on par with the main story, that’s another reason to engage with it.

There’s an auto build option if you don’t want to do all the tinkering.  Just switching them without doing it still works out fine mostly.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah literally the next time I played I unlocked the clothes option and first “non starter” class. I just felt using the other starting character classes was kinda boring and redundant and was t sure if it was really necessary. 

36 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Ahh gotcha. Yeah literally the next time I played I unlocked the clothes option and first “non starter” class. I just felt using the other starting character classes was kinda boring and redundant and was t sure if it was really necessary. 

It is, but you can get some good skills and attacks from the various classes. Like Sena's and Taion's have a passives that increases damage by physical and ether arts by 30%. I'm still using Eunie's Ninja Healer late into the game because it's s free 30% aggro reduction for healers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Getting closer to the end I presume.  Unlocked all the heroes except one, but I shudder to think about the number of level cap unlocking quests are left.  Or maybe I don't... because this game is awesome and I don't want to be done with it.

It's just one ascension quest per hero and then those for the heroes you can recruit post-game. Honestly, some of the ascension quests are some of the best bits of world and character building in the game.

22 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's just one ascension quest per hero and then those for the heroes you can recruit post-game. Honestly, some of the ascension quests are some of the best bits of world and character building in the game.

Still is plenty, considering I’ve only done 1/4 of them.

Just passed the 100 hour mark.