Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

23 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I mainly want to five star the city for the run speed bonus.  Maybe the other one for the swim speed bonus too.

Hit chapter 7 so I assume it’s possible to.

Make sure you're completing all the Collectopaedia quests and also running around colonies every so often to find new yellow bubble discussions. Also, some discussions can only be found at night, so make sure you also look around at night. Also, also, don't be scared to use Nopon Coins to just buy your way out of Collectopaedia quests.

I think I managed to complete all the quests minus that one really bullshit armu quest in Colony Mu.

21 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

a little over 172 hours in and I have reached the door to 

Hide contents

Z!!!

I guess I finish this sucker tomorrow...even though there are still a few quests unfinished :lol:

How do you still have quests left undone? Other than the armu quest on Mu, I completed every other one I could find.

42 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

How do you still have quests left undone? Other than the armu quest on Mu, I completed every other one I could find.

there are still 2 or 3 of those 'overheard' quests that I need to find more the information for before I can activate them, I also haven't gotten all of the stones from the nopon. Though I honestly have no clue how I haven't gotten them because I've been EVERYWHERE. 

9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

there are still 2 or 3 of those 'overheard' quests that I need to find more the information for before I can activate them, I also haven't gotten all of the stones from the nopon. Though I honestly have no clue how I haven't gotten them because I've been EVERYWHERE. 

There is one overheard mission I haven't don't, now that I think of it. I haven't done it yet because, apparently, the second half of the conversation can only be overheard after you complete the damn armu quest on Mu.

I was in the same place with the Nopon stone. It turns out the stone I missed was from a campfire in Cadensia. Seems what happened was I entered my ship, saved and ate there, and never "stayed" at the campfire on the beach, thus completely missing the Nopon merchant chilling next to the campfire.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There is one overheard mission I haven't don't, now that I think of it. I haven't done it yet because, apparently, the second half of the conversation can only be overheard after you complete the damn armu quest on Mu.

I was in the same place with the Nopon stone. It turns out the stone I missed was from a campfire in Cadensia. Seems what happened was I entered my ship, saved and ate there, and never "stayed" at the campfire on the beach, thus completely missing the Nopon merchant chilling next to the campfire.

I could have finished up like 20+ hours ago but I've spent a bunch of time harvesting stuff to upgrade a few gems and exploring any place I can find. Then got crazy in that cave where you can't combine into you uber form and leveled up to the max. Never used the bonus experience to level up at the camp fires. 

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I think I'm close to the final boss?  Decided to take a detour and explore that cave in the first area, mainly to create my ideal party class setup before the final boss.  Probably overkill.  Definitely overkill.

I ended the game with my party at level 85. It was very much overkill.

Beat the game at 153 hours!  Whew.  Still got some post game stuff to do, I could see myself putting in another 10 hours or so to wrap more things up.  I'll put my thoughts together later in the Games of 2022 thread.

If anyone's still wondering if you can start safely start with this game:  Yes, you can.  Most of its nods to the first two games are strictly in the presentation (character design, enviornmental touches, music, etc).  There are some minor cameos, but nothing that needs to be further explained, or that have much relevance to who they were.  There's a couple bits in the post-game that will round things out a little more.

That said, it feels like Xenoblade 2 was fresher in their minds.  There's more consequence to it in the ending.  You'd get more enjoyment out of 3 if you played 2 first, and might feel a little out of the loop for a few moments if you don't.

I would not say the same about Xenoblade 2 relative to 1.  You don't need to play 1 beforehand but it will spoil a substantial twist in 1's ending.  And you should play 1 first, to also fully understand the brilliant way they spun 2 out.

Anyways, I'm excited for the DLC to hopefully string XB3 closer to the first two games.

• Halal 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:56 PM, Ghost_MH said:

124 hours is what it took for me to complete the game. It was great. I also REALLY want to know what they gave in store for extra content. I hope we get some actual post-story content because all the post-game content, as far as I can tell, takes place before you fight Z.

End game spoilers...

Hide contents

So, if I have this right, XC1's and XC2's universes, the ones that were occupied by either side of Klaus/Zanza, were on a collision course thanks to the parallel events of XC1 and XC2. XC1 Melia managed to get in touch with XC2 Nia and the two formed a plan to create Origin. They did this because the collision of alternate dimensions would completely destroy both, basically ushering in a new big bang.

Origin would use the energy of all its peoples' dreams and life energy to basically recreate their own universes after the collision. However, the coalescence of all these dreams and lives included every persons' fear of this not working and that gave birth to Z as a reincarnation of Zanza who, instead, used everyone's life energy to keep the collision of universes from ever happening. Only, that required big dream energy to continue in perpetuity and Z decided that teens are probably the biggest source of dream/life energy so he invented a system where folks are born as teens and then die before they grow too old. The reason Gold colonies are destroyed is because they've fulfilled their dreams and are no longer as valuable as everyone else that is still fighting for their lives or for a promotion.

I guess it was impossible to use Origin to create a combined universe where everyone existed at the same time. However, I don't see why it would be impossible to travel between both dimensions at will. Klaus managed to actually LIVE in both dimensions at the same time, so traveling between the two doesn't sound impossible.

Also, Rex totally had kids with all three of his blades. A real harem ending was not what I was expecting for him. Looking at Sena, now I wonder who had kids with Brighid.

Spoiler

I don’t think Z is Zanza/Klaus, or at least it’s never made that explicit.  There is some parallels in motivation, sure.  But he should be gone for good by this point.

44 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hide contents

I don’t think Z is Zanza/Klaus, or at least it’s never made that explicit.  There is some parallels in motivation, sure.  But he should be gone for good by this point.

Spoiler

You're probably right. Most of my assumption there was based on motivation and his name. All the other Moebius we had names for had monikers that matched.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hide contents

You're probably right. Most of my assumption there was based on motivation and his name. All the other Moebius we had names for had monikers that matched.

Spoiler

It was said at some point that X, Y and Z were not mobeius like the rest.  They weren't made into them after being someone else.  In spirit?  Perhaps.  But if that's the direction they were going for, I'd wonder about X and Y too.

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hide contents

It was said at some point that X, Y and Z were not mobeius like the rest.  They weren't made into them after being someone else.  In spirit?  Perhaps.  But if that's the direction they were going for, I'd wonder about X and Y too.

Spoiler

X, Y, and Z were the original Moebius, but I guess I always wondered where their forms came from. Z makes more sense to me here because, prior to Origin, X and Y didn't really seem all that different from any other consul. That's especially true when you fight them. They really came across as far more human than Z ever did.