Xenoblade 3 [July 29 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Bro if you think that framerate is phenomenal, you gotta try Super Mario Odyssey.

Phenomenal was not the correct word. I was jumping into this game thinking the framerate was going to be 15fps with disgusting graphics. I was pleasantly surprised I was incorrect on both fronts. It runs perfectly fine imo. I know you're used to 120fps so I get your point.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Phenomenal was not the correct word. I was jumping into this game thinking the framerate was going to be 15fps with disgusting graphics. I was pleasantly surprised I was incorrect on both fronts. It runs perfectly fine imo. I know you're used to 120fps so I get your point.

It’s true for the most part.  Performance is as solid as BotW is on Switch generally, which is the quality bar big games should be trying to hit on the hardware.  There is an area near the end of the game that is a little more iffy pefromamce-wise, but still within those bounds.

Xenoblade 2 is the messy one technically.

Performance is eh, but the resolution and sharpening filter they use can look gross.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s true for the most part.  Performance is as solid as BotW is on Switch generally, which is the quality bar big games should be trying to hit on the hardware.  There is an area near the end of the game that is a little more iffy pefromamce-wise, but still within those bounds.

Xenoblade 2 is the messy one technically.

Performance is eh, but the resolution and sharpening filter they use can look gross.

How long did it take you to beat it?

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

120? ONE TWENTY?! You dare associate me with that peasant frame rate?!

I have ascended beyond these mortal frame rates!

R2C8v4O.png

• Haha 1

Just a tremendous rpg. I put 4 more hours in today and I had to force myself to stop. I truly love the characters and gaming world. It just stays at a great pace and never let's up. This will be interesting if I'll end up beating this. The story is solid, too. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Just for kicks, I looked it up on HowLongToBeat.  They think if you beeline the game it's 62 hours, 99 if you do some of the extra stuff.

I had a good enough time unlocking characters and leveling up classes, I'm much closer to a completionist with it.

Yea, I litteraly just looked that up to. Is 60 hours doable if I don't do sidequests?

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I litteraly just looked that up to. Is 60 hours doable if I don't do sidequests?

The sidequests are some of the best parts of the game, which is a pretty big departure for the series.  Many cutscenes are on par with the main story beats, and doing them gives you a lot more world building lore, areas to explore, and more characters and classes to play with.

At least try to unlock most if not all of the characters, which have yellow market quest icons.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The sidequests are some of the best parts of the game, which is a pretty big departure for the series.  Many cutscenes are on par with the main story beats, and doing them gives you a lot more world building lore, areas to explore, and more characters and classes to play with.

At least try to unlock most if not all of the characters, which have yellow market quest icons.

Got it, thanks. I've done a few so far but I guess I'm in for quite the ride.

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I had to grind one level today to beat chapter 4's bosses. It wasn't exactly easy. The chain attacks save my ass. 

Are you using your bonus XP at the camps?  That might be a way to avoid grinding if you aren’t.

I found it’s really easy to be overleveled in this game, and stopped using the bonus XP for the most part.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Are you using your bonus XP at the camps?  That might be a way to avoid grinding if you aren’t.

I found it’s really easy to be overleveled in this game, and stopped using the bonus XP for the most part.

Bonus xp is what again?

At chapter 5. The story isn't picking up or going anywhere.

Spoiler

After you litteraly "beat" some of the main enemies they just come back to life lol. So wtf am I doing?

20 hours in and I really want to like this. Kinda at a stand still but hopefully you guys tell me this pick up!

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Hide contents

After you litteraly "beat" some of the main enemies they just come back to life lol. So wtf am I doing?

20 hours in and I really want to like this. Kinda at a stand still but hopefully you guys tell me this pick up!

The last half of chapter 5 going into chapter 6 is so good. Where are you right now? Stuck in prison?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Plot wise, it’ll make more sense in time.  

End of Chapter 5, start of Chapter 6 is a strong highlight, I don’t want to overhype it, but it’s absolutely worth it.

Chapter 5 is big though.  It does some things to change it up, but just know it does take some time.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:21 PM, crispy4000 said:

Plot wise, it’ll make more sense in time.  

End of Chapter 5, start of Chapter 6 is a strong highlight, I don’t want to overhype it, but it’s absolutely worth it.

Chapter 5 is big though.  It does some things to change it up, but just know it does take some time.

Got it. I'm sneaking into the castle with that other group so I think I'm early on in chapter 5. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Got it. I'm sneaking into the castle with that other group so I think I'm early on in chapter 5. 

You're not far off actually.  The area before the castle is huge and full of distractions, but you may have made it past it.

How many characters have you recruited?

I believe 5-6. 

That explains why you're flying through so quick.  You should be able to have about double that by now.  It's no biggie though, do as you want.

There's also the ascension quests for each character.  Make sure you do Sena's at least when you can, its probably the most consequential to the larger narrative.  

Only a few of the character unlock/ascension quests are thowaway.  The norm is high production values almost on par with the main quest.

• Thanks 1

I went from playing PS5 all day then went back to this. The graphics still are phenomenal and I just love this game a lot. I'm starting to not focus on visuals anymore and just focus on what's fun to play. 

Most games designed to run well for their hardware I’m fine with, especially PS2 era and beyond.  You have to tune your eyes to it if you’re used to more, but they can look good regardless.l of being old/underpowered.

By the way, the sea in chapter 5 is probably the worst running part of the game. 

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Most games designed to run well for their hardware I’m fine with, especially PS2 era and beyond.  You have to tune your eyes to it if you’re used to more, but they can look good regardless.l of being old/underpowered.

By the way, the sea in chapter 5 is probably the worst running part of the game. 

The sea looks great to me and runs fine lol. 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:41 PM, best3444 said:

I went from playing PS5 all day then went back to this. The graphics still are phenomenal and I just love this game a lot. I'm starting to not focus on visuals anymore and just focus on what's fun to play. 

Visuals are the least important part of a game. Gameplay and framerates are far, far more important. 

Unfortunately switch does none of those things particularly well. Well, Gameplay sometimes.

still, this is a great RPG. Id just prefer it anywhere else.