Chappelle helped to killed an affordable housing bill after by threatening to remove his businesses from the area

Kamusha

People can be in favor of "affordable housing" all they want, but it would seem nobody wants to live amongst the people who can afford these less expensive homes as I never see the proponents living anywhere other than middle class and up neighborhoods.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, sblfilms said:

People can be in favor of "affordable housing" all they want, but it would seem nobody wants to live amongst the people who can afford these less expensive homes as I never see the proponents living anywhere other than middle class and up neighborhoods.

You are assuming that people pick neighbors as opposed to neighborhoods; that’s not how it works. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

You are assuming that people pick neighbors as opposed to neighborhoods; that’s not how it works. 

The neighborhood is a reflection of the people who live in it. People are definitely picking their neighbors.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The neighborhood is a reflection of the people who live in it. People are definitely picking their neighbors.

What do people primarily look at when they look for a place to live? They look at things like schools, amenities, infrastructure, etc. Those are are a reflection of economic investment, not the people who live in those neighborhoods. Poor people end up in poor neighborhoods, they don't create them.

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

What do people primarily look at when they look for a place to live? They look at things like schools, amenities, infrastructure, etc. Those are are a reflection of economic investment, not the people who live in those neighborhoods. Poor people end up in poor neighborhoods, they don't create them.

This line of thought is the most adorably nice white person thing you’ve ever posted, and I’ll leave it at that

If this is an in town development and not sprawl it’s extremely stupid. If it’s sprawl it’s marginally less stupid. We should be building dense housing in rich neighborhoods like where Dave would live anyway, and filtering will allow those at the bottom of the housing/income ladder more flexibility and cost saving. because unless an underfunded NGO builds low income housing, the government must do it (and the government simply isn’t doing it) because there is no profit in low income housing. 

affordable housing wouldn’t be such a big deal if we simply allowed more housing to be built, even market rate.

That said affordable housing is good and fine. I live next door to low income apartments and it is absolutely fine, my housing and property values aren’t hurt by it. 

I lived in a couple different areas that featured affordable housing. It's really not that bad. One of the apartments I lived in was with my ex and he wouldn't stop complaining the people who lived around us, even though they never really caused us any issues. IDK, some people are just really uncomfortable with lower class culture I guess.

I feel like there has to be more to this story... I don't fully understand what he's mad about nor do I care to spend much time figuring it out... but man does he sound like an unhinged asshole in that video. He really comes off sounding like a complete and total tool.

Tbh I much rather live near affordable housing than live in an upper or upper-middle class suburb. Rich people are boring as fuck, and the suburbs have never felt so isolating to live in. There is more of a community feel in lower and working class neighborhoods. In nicer neighborhoods nobody talks to each other anymore.

• Jason changed the title to Chappelle helped to killed an affordable housing bill after by threatening to remove his businesses from the area
5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Join but for not nimby reasons. It’s why I’ve joined my neighborhood planning board. 

I helped get the California state government to reject my city's super NIMBY housing element. I'm thanked by name for submitting comments in the letter HCD sent rejecting the housing element. :santasun:

• Like 2

i live in a lower income area (not super low, but people can tell it’s lower income) and it’s not bad. not every low income area is filled with crime and stuff like some may believe. BUT people who have only lived in nice suburbs are super naive. i’ve literally gotten comments from people about how much the area sucks where i live. and i’m like “actually i kind of like it. it’s a nice little neighborhood”. but because the houses aren’t big and new it gets labeled as crap by a lot of people.