Inflation sucks bruh: JPow's Jihad

56 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

What does this mean?

It would mean all consumer goods less food/energy only rose 0.1% month over month (the real figure ended up being 0.3%, which is still not terrible). It means that - for now - the inflation we are seeing is more or less contained to select industries/products. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It means all those people who finally got long overdue raises are still getting fucked 

When I took my current job, I was ecstatic because we have a transparent salary grid that increases by 5.5%/yr for the first seven years in a position, and we also get whatever raises the teachers union negotiates with the government (current contract is 0-2-2). So this year I get around 7.5%. But...this is basically only protecting me from inflation, and I am a lucky person.

14 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It would mean all consumer goods less food/energy only rose 0.1% month over month (the real figure ended up being 0.3%, which is still not terrible). It means that - for now - the inflation we are seeing is more or less contained to select industries/products. 

The bond market has reacted accordingly:

107026472-NYSE-Traders-OB-Photo-220307-C
WWW.CNBC.COM

The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield retreated from a three-year high as investors digested the latest inflation report.

Investors seemed to take solace from the core CPI, excluding food and energy, which increased 6.5% year over year, in line with the expectation. Month to month, core CPI rose 0.3%, lighter than the 0.5% expectation.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The bond market has reacted accordingly:

107026472-NYSE-Traders-OB-Photo-220307-C
WWW.CNBC.COM

The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield retreated from a three-year high as investors digested the latest inflation report.

I Bonds gonna be at nearly 10% at least. :dab:

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

The March surge in the consumer-price index is the latest boon to buyers of U.S. savings bonds that are adjusted for inflation, known as I Bonds.

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The Democrats will absolutely not be able to convince voters this November that inflation isn't their fault.  

The future of America is both parties attempting to keep gasoline sub $3/gallon at the expense of everything else in existence, and voters rewarding them for it.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The future of America is both parties attempting to keep gasoline sub $3/gallon at the expense of everything else in existence, and voters rewarding them for it.

Miyazaki should make a Souls Trilogy about fighting to keep things going when it's clearly time to go home. Ooo wait we have that in Dark Souls.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Fed is totally gonna raise rates by 100 basis points @rc0101

107000333-1642020514185-abc.jpg?v=164207
WWW.CNBC.COM

The consumer price index for March was expected to increase 8.4% from a year ago, according to Dow Jones estimates.

The fed will overreact for sure. 1.50% fed funds rate by June is what we are operating under with a 50 basis point increase after their May meeting. 

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
106999520-16419153682022-01-11t153007z_1
WWW.CNBC.COM

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell on Thursday affirmed the central bank's determination to bring inflation down.

For Heaven's sake, stop talking about it and just do it already!

They took April off so they might go really crazy in May. 

6 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

They took April off so they might go really crazy in May. 

I was just speaking with my mom's Morgan Stanley investment advisor and we agreed that 75 basis points in May definitely isn't off the table, and there is an ever-so-remote chance of 100 basis points if the Fed was REALLY feeling wild n' crazy!

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I was just speaking with my mom's Morgan Stanley investment advisor and we agreed that 75 basis points in May definitely isn't off the table, and there is an ever-so-remote chance of 100 basis points if the Fed was REALLY feeling wild n' crazy!

100 would cause the ultimate meltdown…so I believe it’s possible that Fed does this. 

My guess is 50 basis points May 3-4th and 50 June 14-15 meetings. Although 75 in either May or June would get them to a nice 1.50 in June

• True 1

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Why not just say 0.25%?

I think the point is that "it went up 0.25%" can be ambiguous. For example if interest rates are 2% and you say "it went up 0.25%" that could be taken as either 2%+0.25%=2.25% or 2%*1.0025=2.005%. So if you talk about it in basis points it can only mean the former.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think the point is that "it went up 0.25%" can be ambiguous. For example if interest rates are 2% and you say "it went up 0.25%" that could be taken as either 2%+0.25%=2.25% or 2%*1.0025=2.005%. So if you talk about it in basis points it can only mean the former.

Exactly this. 

9 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

100 would cause the ultimate meltdown…so I believe it’s possible that Fed does this. 

My guess is 50 basis points May 3-4th and 50 June 14-15 meetings. Although 75 in either May or June would get them to a nice 1.50 in June

If the Fed went the full 100 basis points, the yield curve inversion would be SOMETHING to behold! :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Unless the goddamn congress would do something about affordable housing you can kiss a generation of homebuyers goodbye. 

Housing as a service. In 2030, my neighborhood is owned by Amazon Homed and, conveniently, my rent includes free Prime.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Housing as a service. In 2030, my neighborhood is owned by Amazon Homed and, conveniently, my rent includes free Prime.

Some “crypto native” tech bro is definitely going to rebrand renting as “HaaS”, aren’t they?

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Some “crypto native” tech bro is definitely going to rebrand renting as “HaaS”, aren’t they?

Tech bros have been throwing around term for nearly a decade now; long before even Zillow was going around buying everything they could. Most people "rent" their phones, everyone rents the software on their computers, video and game and music ownership is on the decline. HaaS is an obvious next step.