WB Multiversus announced: F2P, 2022, Cross Play, Rollback Netcode

Brian

On 10/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, GameDadGrant said:

Sad but true. 

I’d actually say no to that.

There’s been a lot of good new platform fighters lately with solid fundamentals and creative additions.  It’s also become a litmus test that their input latency and netcode should be better than Nintendo’s.  If it was all about copying Smash, they’d have lower standards.

The missing piece has been the budget.  Most of the good stuff is still indie.

I’d actually be more worried about WB flubbing the fundamentals than throwing enough money at this.  It’s surprisingly hard to get right if you don’t understand the genre and just throw in a hodgepodge of ideas.  (see: PSABR)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to WB Multiversus announced: F2P, 2022, Cross Play, Rollback Netcode
6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I actually kind of like the animation work and the cel shading approach here.  The visuals don't bother me nearly as much as the look of the gameplay does.  No wonder they were able to get rollback working.

Yeah I think visually it looks alright, at least compared to Nickelodeon it looks better and they learned from that game as well by including voices (somehow a high bar but here we are) but it looks so slow.

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I think visually it looks alright, at least compared to Nickelodeon it looks better and they learned from that game as well by including voices (somehow a high bar but here we are) but it looks so slow.

Then really they didn't learn anything from the evolution of platform fighters in the last decade.

The more I watch this, the more it looks like they were after a smooth look to the animations rather than making it responsive to play.  Seems like there's a lot of end lag to attacks, unless they're intentionally slowing everything down in this vid.  I get Brawl Ike vibes.

Nickelodeon, like Slap City, looks jankier but much more fun.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

ore I watch this, the more it looks like they were after a smooth look to the game rather than making it responsive to play.  I foresee a lot of issues with end lag to attacks, unless they're intentionally slowing everythin

You bolded the wrong part

"they learned from that game as well by including voices"