WB Multiversus announced: F2P, 2022, Cross Play, Rollback Netcode

Brian

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Also, it's a good time to remind everyone that these games are a thing:

Indie devs get this genre well by now.

I think the part that gets lost in the hype of these high profile version like Nickelodeon and WB is that the main appeal of smash first and foremost is that you're playing a bunch of video game characters against other characters, that's what is fun.

Recognizing that Ren and Stimpy or Shaggy are characters is fun, but doesn't really translate well to making a hype fighting game.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the part that gets lost in the hype of these high profile version like Nickelodeon and WB is that the main appeal of smash first and foremost is that you're playing a bunch of video game characters against other characters, that's what is fun.

What people forget is that Smash Bros already tapped out the joy of that novelty over the decades.  The series casts a long shadow over fan service in other platform fighters, which reviewers pile on and fanbases are hypercritical about.

The second most successful platform fighter, bar none, had no license attached to it for years and built its success grass roots.  So what's high profile, really?  ~70x more people are currently playing it than Nickelodeon.

31 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The passion for this specific type of game by a specific type of dude is not something I like to see. 

I think the WB game looks fine! 

Referring to me?  I'm not the only one skeptical.

I just enjoy platform fighters when they're fun.  And wish the genre got more cred/sales for the good stuff outside of Smash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jason said:

Oh lmao someone made a Shaggy going Ultra Instinct meme a while back and they actually put it into the game (and also put it in a cartoon at one point it seems). 

They did for the opening of the animated Mortal Kombat: Battle of the Realms movie. 

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I must be seeing some pack you can buy when I see it on the storefront. That’s good then I wanna try it.

Yeah they're doing it in a kind of confusing way.

The game is free, but only"early access" right now. That means you can get in with a twitch drop or they are what you are seeing is they are selling a bundle of goodies alongside the game, but the game is free.

When the open beta hits on the 26th you should be able to find it on the storefront just fine. I did get drop for the game but I can't give it away I have to link my twitch account to a WB account (which I don't have)

10 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Am I the only one playing here? :thinking:

I played some today on steam deck, the game itself seems pretty good. I wish it was just a $60 game, but I see I have 700 coins now and can get character for like 1500, so maybe it won’t be too terrible, guess we will c. 

I think the game feels really good and tight. It feels solid and not like some cheap knock off. It’s way more fun to play than ps all stars that’s for sure. I like the teammate lasso thing. It’s missing Scooby Doo himself wtf. I want to see way more Looney Tunes additions. I want tons. 

• 4 weeks later...