Midnight Mass

I didn't know it was the Hill House guy until friends told me, but in retrospect it so clearly is with his monologue heavy style (i like it). I'm pretty deep into the show now and feel compelled to finish it before doing anything else. I do however wish it were a little heavier on the scares though. 

Spoiler

I'm only just past episode 5, but I think it's hilarious that this seems to take place in a magic realist universe where nobody has ever heard of vampires. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Honestly this was my least favorite of his 3 Netflix shows. The show is AMAZING after the first three episodes, but then fell off pretty hard imo. I still really liked it and I’m pumped for Midnight Club.

I had the opposite impression. I wasn't really connecting with the characters in the early episodes but loved the way things progressed once the plot started going. 

Spoiler

I particularly liked Erin's monologue at the end as well as the ultimate motivation for Father Paul's actions. I never fully connected with Riley as I felt his character was too strongly defined by the car crash, but the rest of the primary characters all felt wonderfully fleshed out. Flanagan really has a knack for portraying human frailty. 

I really really liked this, aside from the literal very end where I thought the monologue was a little too long. Normally I wouldn’t mind but it made me laugh and just took me out of the moment. My only other “complaint” is that the makeup kind of gave away the game right away.

The actress that played Bev was so, so good. She absolutely nails the tone of that specific kind of person. I don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else which I found surprising considering how much she just kills this role.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I really really liked this, aside from the literal very end where I thought the monologue was a little too long. Normally I wouldn’t mind but it made me laugh and just took me out of the moment. My only other “complaint” is that the makeup kind of gave away the game right away.

The actress that played Bev was so, so good. She absolutely nails the tone of that specific kind of person. I don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else which I found surprising considering how much she just kills this role.

Haha I’m only one episode but I IMMEDIATELY said to my wife, “that’s really weird that all the older characters are being played by middle aged actors with SNL level makeup on, something must happen to them”. Obviously I haven’t seen the series so that’s just a guess but your post seems to confirm it haha

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Haha I’m only one episode but I IMMEDIATELY said to my wife, “that’s really weird that all the older characters are being played by middle aged actors with SNL level makeup on, something must happen to them”. Obviously I haven’t seen the series so that’s just a guess but your post seems to confirm it haha

One of those “middle aged” actors is in their 20s. :p

Just now, Joe said:

What do you guys mean about the makeup?

Spoiler

It was immediately obvious that Riley’s parents and Mildred were going to “de-age” because they were wearing makeup to make them look much older than the actors portraying them actually are. Mildred specifically was clearly being portrayed by someone who was decades younger than the character was supposed to be.

Did I specifically know vampire blood was going to make them young right from jump? No, but something like that was given away by the makeup.

Not a big deal at all, just one of those things. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Reveal hidden contents

You should try being an unobservant person like me. Really helps in situations like this.

Just now, TheLeon said:

The show did get ruined for me (in a very minor, superficial way) when I started looking up the cast. I don’t know exactly how their characters are supposed to be, but IRL Riley and Bev are like three years apart, which is just wild. 

That is the one thing about Bev that I thought was weird initially, and then I just chalked it up to her character being fucking insufferable and above the fray. It works for her to act like she knows everyone better than they know themselves even if Bev is just a few - ten years older than them in the show.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

You should try being an unobservant person like me. Really helps in situations like this.

Spoiler

If it wasn’t for Mildred, I might have chalked the casting up to something else, or figured they were going to do flashbacks to when the characters were younger at some point, and wanted to use the same actors. Once they didn’t do flashbacks I figured something was up.

2 hours ago, Bitgod said:

It was kinda hard to get through cuz I hate religious BS, but people should be watching this over squidly diddly.

I was actually pretty impressed with those parts. At least the early portrayals of church service before he started getting…a little more into his sermons haha. It was by far the most accurate portrayal of what being in church was like and the flow/sound of the service was like for me growing up. 

Usually in movies you get either a more Baptist style portrayal or a much grander fancier portrayal. 

finished last night.  Was a slow burn firs half of the series but the end at ep 4 was a genuine jump scare for me and then picked up from there.

Beverley Keane may be my most hated TV character since joffery.

Lisa thought at the end

Spoiler

i half expected her to burst into flames as well since she had drunk the blood to get her to "heal" but i guess she never went through the full process so when she said she couldnt feel her legs again that kind of answered that part.

9 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

finished last night.  Was a slow burn firs half of the series but the end at ep 4 was a genuine jump scare for me and then picked up from there.

Lisa thought at the end

Reveal hidden contents

i half expected her to burst into flames as well since she had drunk the blood to get her to "heal" but i guess she never went through the full process so when she said she couldnt feel her legs again that kind of answered that part.

Yeah…

Spoiler

If you don’t die you don’t become a full vamp, you basically just become Blade. :p

11 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Lisa thought at the end

Hide contents

Spoiler

Yeah, I think that until someone dies and is reborn as a vampire (including being mauled and having their blood drained), they are safe from the sun?

And Bev is definitely such a dislikable character. She actually really reminds me of a character that Stephen King would write.

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Reveal hidden contents

And Bev is definitely such a dislikable character. She actually really reminds me of a character that Stephen King would write.

agreed, she actually reminded me of the woman in the grocery store from The Mist

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed, I thought the whole show gave off a very Stephen King short story vibe

7 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

agreed, she actually reminded me of the woman in the grocery store from The Mist

First thing my wife and I pointed out. In both The Mist's and Midnight Mass's case, they were played phenomenally by their actresses. You just hated them the whole time and wanted them to die from step one.

It's amazing people don't just confront them and tell them to shut up already.