Everyone should be watching Squid Game

thewhyteboar

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Reveal hidden contents

Very good points. I'm going to finish this up tonight. 

Finished this last night... what a great show and a pleasant surprise. Most fun I've had with a new show since Gangs of London. Everything about this series was well done and top notch, particularly the directing, cinematography, production design and editing. Korea is on FIRE right now and may be close to taking America's place as the world's pop culture leader... for better or worse :p

There’s a couple good threads on twitter about how the subtitles are kinda rough and miss a lot of nuance. I know that’s sadly to be expected, but it’s always interesting to see where translation / localization brick these kinds of things. Apparently the actress who plays the character from North Korea speaks differently with her brother compared to other characters, the lady gangster references tropes about smart people who aren’t economically advantaged, etc.

• Thanks 1

It sounds cute. Is it kid friendly? I've been looking for a fun game show to watch with the little ones. I tried Holey Moley, but they're too young for Putt Putt yet, so they weren't too interested. I may want to try this or the Lava Floor show.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Derek said:

It sounds cute. Is it kid friendly? I've been looking for a fun game show to watch with the little ones. I tried Holey Moley, but they're too young for Putt Putt yet, so they weren't too interested. I may want to try this or the Lava Floor show.

lol, kid friendly? Are you joking? It's probably one of the most brutal shows I've seen in a while. It's rated MA. 

20 hours ago, Derek said:

Try Frogger on Peacock, it’s basically Lava Floor with a different skin

Just finished it. Really enjoyed it overall. I think maybe the single smartest thing the series does is pretty early on. 

Spoiler

In episode 2, they all leave! For them to have that option, and then have so many people willingly return fully knowing the stakes, it makes the rest of the show that much more tragic. 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, Kal-El814 said:

There’s a couple good threads on twitter about how the subtitles are kinda rough and miss a lot of nuance. I know that’s sadly to be expected, but it’s always interesting to see where translation / localization brick these kinds of things.

I knew something was up when the lady started calling the guy oppa and the subtitles said "babe" :thinking:

English [CC] is usually a direct subtitle of the dub. English without the CC is usually the more direct, literal, and accurate sub translation of the original language. As a person who watches a lot of anime and watches everything in subtitled format (but watches anime dubbed), I have learned the differences. I have some amusing anecdotes on subtitling from the past 20 years as its evolved even lol.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Old man would be an even worse translation. :p

It would?

The-Meaning-of-Oppa-Hyung-Noona-Unnie-So
WWW.90DAYKOREAN.COM

oppa (오빠)=women speaking to older men, hyung (형)=men speaking to older men, noona (누나)=men speaking to older women, unnie (언니)=women speaking to older women

The Korean word Oppa (오빠) is used when you are a woman and talking with an older male (related to you or not). For example, Oppa (오빠) is used to address an older male friend, even if he is not your older brother by blood.

Seems appropriate to me in the context it was being used in the show.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is a term for "old man" and it's not Oppa. You stop being oppa when you're old.

Sure, but she was deferring to him, trying to curry favor with him. I don't think it was meant to be taken literally. She wasn't calling him old man like in the same way Gi-Hun was referring to Player 1 (who was an actual Old Man). She was almost mocking him... and he gets frustrated and even tells her to stop calling him that at a certain point. that especially since it seemed like she might be older than HIM. I get the context and why they chose to translate it the way they did. If they would have translated it literally, it would have REALLY confused audiences.

I've worked with translators on subtitles before and a lot of the translations come down to editorial choices that a producer or director makes because there are some concepts in other cultures and languages that don't exist in the language they're translating to. Their might have been some bad choices made in this, but in my opinion this particular example ain't one of them.

Also, it still doesn't change the fact that if it said "babe" when you watching it, you likely had on the subtitles of the English dub which was the point of my post.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also, it still doesn't change the fact that if it said "babe" when you watching it, you likely had on the subtitles of the English dub which was the point of my post.

The article says English is the accurate version. English CC is the inaccurate version. I said I have it on English. Yours is the less accurate version it sounds like.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure, but she was deferring to him, trying to curry favor with him. I don't think it was meant to be taken literally. She wasn't calling him old man like in the same way Gi-Hun was referring to Player 1 (who was an actual Old Man). She was almost mocking him... and he gets frustrated and even tells her to stop calling him that at a certain point. that especially since it seemed like she might be older than HIM. I get the context and why they chose to translate it the way they did. If they would have translated it literally, it would have REALLY confused audiences.

As for this part, you are correct that she's trying to curry favor. Generally when a girl likes a guy she tells him that as term of endearment.  She wasn't mocking him she was  like you said trying to get on his good side. Either way the term doesn't change meaning. Usually unless the oppa is actually an older brother the subtitle or term oppa doesn't get translated and stays oppa.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The article says English is the accurate version. English CC is the inaccurate version. I said I have it on English. Yours is the less accurate version it sounds like.

So I just looked up the scene in question and you're right. The English version DOES translate it to "babe" so I'm not sure WHERE I saw it being translated to "Old Man" now... I damn sure don't understand Korean so I know I couldn't have pulled that out of thin air :thinking:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

As for this part, you are correct that she's trying to curry favor. Generally when a girl likes a guy she tells him that as term of endearment.  She wasn't mocking him she was  like you said trying to get on his good side. Either way the term doesn't change meaning. Usually unless the oppa is actually an older brother the subtitle or term oppa doesn't get translated and stays oppa.

I gotta ask one of my Korean speaking friends what they think about this. I know when we were doing translations for a project that I worked on once the translators would often come to us and ask us what the best way to translate a korean phrase to English would be because some terms just didn' exist in English as a one-to one translation. A lot of time it was a judgment call to try to translate the intent behind the phrase being spoken. Watching that scene again just now, "babe" seems like it makes sense. In your opinion, what should have been used there because I think her saying "Older brother" would have confused the fuck out of people.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Watching that scene again just now, "babe" seems like it makes sense. In your opinion, what should have been used there because I think her saying "Older brother" would have confused the fuck out of people.

I think babe makes sense in this context but it just feels strange because generally, from the shows I've watched, things like Oppa, Unni, etc do not get translated. They're just kind an understood slang.