Everyone should be watching Squid Game

thewhyteboar

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was going to watch it next but I was going to watch it under my own power not because you said so.

Just want you to feel as bad as I do when no one watches after I say watch [insert korean show] :talkhand:

I feel ya bud. I pushed The Genius and no one cared to watch it. 

• True 1

I watched the first episode. It's certainly interesting. Unlike a lot of Korean shows that take beyond a full episode to get good this one has a certain appeal right off the bat and takes maybe half the episode to set up and start getting crazy. I'll probably end up watching the whole thing and giving my full @Greatoneshere approved analysis later.

One thing OP screwed up on is he should have said Gong Yoo is in this, which of course means everyone should watch it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I watched the first episode. It's certainly interesting. Unlike a lot of Korean shows that take beyond a full episode to get good this one has a certain appeal right off the bat and takes maybe half the episode to set up and start getting crazy. I'll probably end up watching the whole thing and giving my full @Greatoneshere approved analysis later.

One thing OP screwed up on is he should have said Gong Yoo is in this, which of course means everyone should watch it.

Stay tuned, there's a fun cameo at the end. ^^

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What's the show about?

7 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What's the show about?

It's like a game show with a bunch of contestants but let's say if you lose, it's not very good. - But it's an actual show with a story and stuff, not a game show. :p

It follows one person in particular, though I don't know if we will continue to follow him. I've only seen the first episode god! He's kind of in debt and will do anything for money at this point.

There, that's like a spoiler free synopsis!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's like a game show with a bunch of contestants but let's say if you lose, it's not very good. - But it's an actual show with a story and stuff, not a game show. :p

It follows one person in particular, though I don't know if we will continue to follow him. I've only seen the first episode god! He's kind of in debt and will do anything for money at this point.

There, that's like a spoiler free synopsis!

wow..hell of a awesome synopsis! finished it up last night

• Shocked 1

So a question about the very end for anyone who knows more about Korean culture than I do…

Again, spoilers and me being an ignorant American…

Spoiler

So at the end Gi-hun gets a haircut and a bright red dye job. Is that supposed to imply something? I tried googling it without much luck. Nobody else on the show is styled like that so I assume it wasn’t meaningless.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What do you think happens in the next 30 minutes? :o

That was what kept my attention in the first one. It started out boring then got pretty entertaining once they played a game. I don't want to spoil anything. I think I'll continue watching this. I enjoy the main character.

48 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The English dub is legitimately awful, and I'm not normally a sub snob. If that's how you're watching it, I understand why you'd be underwhelmed.

I only put it on a few times when I had to pay attention to multiple things at once, and it sucked.

Oddly enough, the English dub doesn't bother me. It's God awful but I think the voice work is solid.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

They definitely didn't splurge on any acting other than the Koreans.

A lot of Korean shows have AWFUL English-speaking actors. Half of the time it feels like they get like random Russian dudes, tell them the phonetics of what to say, and let it rip. I guess they figure that a Korean audience won't realize they aren't native speakers.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

A lot of Korean shows have AWFUL English-speaking actors. Half of the time it feels like they get like random Russian dudes, tell them the phonetics of what to say, and let it rip. I guess they figure that a Korean audience won't realize they aren't native speakers.

I love when they include some English speaking guy, like an American. They're always evil too. :p

On 9/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, Amazatron said:

That marbles episode messed me up good…

On 9/27/2021 at 10:47 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Definitely the best episode.

Yep, just finished episode 6. Easily the best episode thus far. I felt bad for 

Spoiler

The old man mostly. That was kinda hard to watch. The two girls didn't really bring too much emotion out of me. The "model" is dead inside and I don't like her as a character. 

22 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yep, just finished episode 6. Easily the best episode thus far. I felt bad for 

Hide contents

The old man mostly. That was kinda hard to watch. The two girls didn't really bring too much emotion out of me. The "model" is dead inside and I don't like her as a character. 

Spoiler

For me, I felt for Ali. All along, he was the most naive, trusting, and genuinely "good" character/player. He truly believed Sang-Woo's lie and trusted him fully that they could somehow both proceed in the game, and the realization that he had when he looked into his bag was heartbreaking. Also, the girl who sacrificed herself did an amazing job of making me care for a character that was barely introduced in the story.

• True 1