Update: Why ‘Y: The Last Man’ Was Abruptly Canceled (The Hollywood Reporter)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Y: The Last Man (FX/Hulu - 13 September 2021) - Season 1 Official Trailer
  • 1 month later...

Watched the first 3 episodes. More thoughts when I’m not sleepy. Initial impressions are that it’s been modernized in ways that feel right in general (even if the President sympathizing with a group storming the White House lands a lot worse now then when I assume that was written / shot) which is good, but it also feels oddly safe and predictable as well so far. Not as in it’s just an adaptation of the comic, just that anyone even passingly familiar with apocalyptic fiction will see every single beat of the first few episodes coming miles away. It’ll be interesting to see if and how that changes. 

Watched the first couple of episodes. It feels like a show that didn’t get quite the budget needed to show the scale of societal detestation. Maybe a victim of Covid protocols? No idea when the shot the first season, but everything feels very small.

The performances were good at least. Not going to be high on my priority list, I don’t believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else watching? I don’t know how to feel about it. The performances are generally good but the episodes feel pretty samey to me.  Everyone seems to have a part of their past that they’re dying to keep secret and it informs how they’re currently behaving terribly. I also don’t think the show has given us a good reason to care about a bunch of the characters? I don’t care about Hero, I don’t super care about Beth. Kim sucks; her still being allowed to chill in the Pentagon makes less and less sense all the time. 

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Can't say that I am.

There's simply no "hook" for me other than seeing the comics brought to life, which just ain't enough.

It’s different in some ways, it remains to be seen if it’s enough.

I do appreciate that they’re leaning more into the existence of trans men than I remember the comic doing.

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s different in some ways, it remains to be seen if it’s enough.

I do appreciate that they’re leaning more into the existence of trans men than I remember the comic doing.

For a show you would think is going to be a lot about women, they use a lot of screen time on a character that now identifies as a man.

Typical :p 

Even if this didn't get picked up for a second season, it strikes me as odd they'd canceling while season 1 is still airing. I suppose the creators want to try and leverage that into viewership, but I would expect the exact opposite. For such a long gestating show to get canned before it's short first season even airs is odd.

I've been watching and while I haven't loved it, it's been perfectly fine. I guess it just never found an audience.

I know this is cliche but part of me wonders if people have less of an appetite for a show driven by a global pandemic wiping everything out.

Even if it’s not that, my main issues are:

1) None of the characters seem to have any agency at all, stuff just happens to them

2) Almost literally everyone has some secret past driving an ulterior motive, other than the ostensible main character, and Yorick is the person most guilty of the first thing I mentioned

3) As of last week’s episode, nobody’s plans have really been consolidated into anything meaningful? Dr. Mann needs Yorick in San Francisco for vague science reasons, Kim thinks Yorick being alive is god’s will and wants to make sure he can to “bring men back” for which she very clearly has no plan, Beth is working with people unknown for reasons unknown, etc. I get that the nature of the show and story is somewhat fluid but again, this feeds into the first two things

This isn’t a bad show at all, it’s just… fine.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Even if this didn't get picked up for a second season, it strikes me as odd they'd canceling while season 1 is still airing. I suppose the creators want to try and leverage that into viewership, but I would expect the exact opposite. For such a long gestating show to get canned before it's short first season even airs is odd.

Yes, I find this very odd. This was a very long gestating project with a lot of money behind it. They know they are telling a longer serialized story since it's adapted from the comics, so they know they'll need more than one season to adapt everything, yet, before even giving the show a real chance, they cancel it while season 1 airs? Weird.

YTLM_107_024672.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Six years after landing at FX for development, the drama based on the beloved comic series was axed before it could even finish its first and (possibly) only season.

It took 14 years to bring Brian K. Vaughan’s beloved Y: The Last Man to the screen. And now that the show is finally airing — after a major recasting, a showrunner change and even a move to a new platform — FX on Hulu abruptly canceled the drama Sunday, after airing only seven of its planned 10 episodes.

FX, the basic cable network overseen by CEO John Landgraf, rarely cancels its scripted content and instead tends to announce final seasons for its originals. It’s also incredibly rare for the network, which became part of the Disney fold a few years ago, to lower the ax on shows that are still running as its creator-friendly execs opt instead to wait to gather data for things like delayed viewing and digital returns. But that oddly wasn’t what transpired with Y: The Last Man, which won’t wrap its freshman season until Nov. 1.

So, what happened?

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that execs at FX had to make a decision on the future of the series by Oct. 15, which was the date that options on the cast of Y:TLM expired. FX, which landed rights to the IP in 2015, picked the drama up to pilot in April 2018 and, three months later, cast Barry Keoghan and Diane Lane in leading roles. FX ordered Y to series in February 2019.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Why ‘Y: The Last Man’ Was Abruptly Canceled (The Hollywood Reporter)
On 10/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, Gavin King said:

I feel like the cancel shows way to early and don't give them a chance.

Totally had planned to check this one out, could have dug it, but now? Won't even bother. Hate getting into shows that don't get the time to end properly.

I felt the same way about Swamp Thing which was cancelled before the first season was even over.  

Goddamnit, I want Swamp Thing back.  I've been grabbing the Y episodes, only watched the first 2.  Kinda meh about it, so dunno if I'm even going to bother watching the rest.

Reading that Hollywood Reporter story, it doesn't sound like it's dead dead ATM.  Just needs a cleric to cast resurrection.  But I'm meh about it anyway.

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
YTLM_107_024672.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Six years after landing at FX for development, the drama based on the beloved comic series was axed before it could even finish its first and (possibly) only season.

So they didn't have time to negotiate contracts for further seasons, or going off the "creator-friendly execs opt instead to wait to gather data for things like delayed viewing and digital returns" bit, they just let it go because they didn't have time to gather sufficient data on how the show was faring before they had to make a decision about whether to renew it?

I enjoyed the comic, but I think a part of the problem for a tv series is the same problem writers have when they tell someone about the story they're writing: The telling of a story to someone else often replaces the desire to actually tell that story in manuscript form (the energy is often in the first telling of the story). I got that same sense of Y: The Last Man, where having read the comic, I don't really have any strong desire to see the comic reenacted on screen. I attribute this to very select projects, but this comic really felt like one that fit this description (whereas something like a superhero comic or like The Walking Dead doesn't have that same problem because the universes are so rich that you want to see them explored further).