Michael Caine reveals the truth about the end of 'Inception'!

Derek

I’ve always argued that the question misses the point. For Cobb, it doesn’t actually matter, he has peace with his life when he wakes up on the plane which is why the moment he sees his kids he forgets about the top.

But it’s the real world at the end :p

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve always argued that the question misses the point. For Cobb, it doesn’t actually matter, he has peace with his life when he wakes up on the plane which is why the moment he sees his kids he forgets about the top.

This is the only take worth a damn. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

But it’s the real world at the end :p

YES BUT I CARED ABOUT HIM AND WAS NOT AT PEACE

The wedding ring eventually tipped me off and then I found peace, not just with the movie, but with myself, something to live for, someone to strive to be

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

As poor as Nolan often is at centementality, I actually think the ending of Inception is one of the few times he got it right for exactly this reason. People get so caught up in the puzzle of it all, that they fixate on a potential mystery rather than recognizing what he was trying to communicate with that last shot.

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember being confused that people were confused :p Seemed pretty obvious to me that he was back in reality. I never got the "debate".

Him ending up in reality with his kids is the sort of expected, happy ending. I think people might have been looking for an extra layer or twist that just wasn’t there.