SCOTUS unanimously invalidates a portion of the NCAA's "amateurism" rules (NCAA can no longer bar colleges from providing athletes with education-related benefits such as free laptops or paid post-graduate internships)

Kind of a shame that SCOTUS only looked at such a small portion of the NCAA rules. It seems plausible they might have struck down more if they'd been appealed all the way up. Still, glad to see these get struck down. Of all the stupid rules the NCAA has around compensation, preventing education-related benefits seems easily the most stupid.

A quick search didn't really reveal what the current state of student athlete compensation is.

CA passed the Fair Pay to Play Act back in 2019. Shortly thereafter the NCAA Board of Governors "supported rule changes" that would allow compensation for third party endorsements, but still prevent compensation for name, image, or likeness (NIL). In their statement today, the NCAA said “even though the decision does not directly address name, image and likeness, the NCAA remains committed to supporting NIL benefits for student-athletes."

The CA law goes into effect in 2023, but the rule changes the NCAA proposed were supposed to go into affect for this school year, but I couldn't find anything specifically saying they'd been adopted, and from that statement today it sounds like they haven't been. Perhaps they'd been waiting for the outcome of this decision?

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

They already do that. 

I cannot find anything that says they still provide the scholarship to injured athletes. Closest there is, is when on a 1 year athletic scholarship you can finish the year, but you won’t get renewed the next year. And a four year athletic scholarship can be canceled due to injury. But I am glad to see the NCAA allows athletes to get free meals from the schools now. 

31 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I cannot find anything that says they still provide the scholarship to injured athletes. Closest there is, is when on a 1 year athletic scholarship you can finish the year, but you won’t get renewed the next year. And a four year athletic scholarship can be canceled due to injury. But I am glad to see the NCAA allows athletes to get free meals from the schools now. 

It’s not mandated by the NCAA, it’s just something that most (if not all) schools do (otherwise they would get an unbelievable amount of negative recruiting). 

One of my friends had a full scholarship to play soccer at small school in Alabama. Blew out her knee after the first season and could never play again but kept her scholarship for the rest of the 4 years. So I think @Chris-might be right regardless of the rules. Probably still good for it to be official policy though

27 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

So in the end this just makes the power school more powerful and those that cant pony up with additional perks feed off the leftover more than already happens. 

But yeah, school affiliated at any level shouldn't be a thing. 

Nah, the have and have-nots divide is already well established. 

19 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

They should also pay for meal plans for all college athletes, and guarantee the scholarship if an athlete faces a career ending injury. 

Lol, these kids aren't eating in the cafeteria. A nutritionist prepares their meals. You don't run a high performance machine on grease and bread. They weren't getting paid, but there was definitely still benefits to being an athlete. And I believe the scholarships are guaranteed if injured playing or practicing.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Lol, these kids aren't eating in the cafeteria. A nutritionist prepares their meals. You don't run a high performance machine on grease and bread. They weren't getting paid, but there was definitely still benefits to being an athlete. And I believe the scholarships are guaranteed if injured playing or practicing.

Yes they do eat in the cafeteria/food court. It is not just the offerings from a 90s high school. I’m sure offering can vary from school to school, but University of North Texas for example, has a cafe you can use a meal plan on that is 100% vegan among its many offerings. Not that that would be an athlete’s first choice or even available to an athlete. 

It’s only been as recent as 2014/2015 that NCAA has even *allowed* unlimited meals can be provide by the schools. But it’s still at the discretion of the school what that means. Even before Covid there were reports of “food insecurity”, where athletes were uncertain of the availability of nutritionally adequate food. This article has some enlightening details.

And as we already discussed the scholarships are not guaranteed, but it seems schools will honor them anyways if an athlete is injured while playing, training, practice. 

…and this all just applies to athletes that get scholarships, which only applies to roughly 60% of college athletes. The rest are on their own to find or come up with the money to pay for classes, a place to live, and food to eat. 

the NCAA makes enough money off these athletes that feeding them and paying for their education, all of them, should not need to fall entirely on the schools. The NCAA gets to enjoy non-profit status, and while they made $1.8Billion in 2019, they only gave schools $10m in scholarship money. 

Im not saying they shouldn't be paid, the ncaa makes billions.

But im not going to pretend that these athletes have it rough, either.

And I can't speak for every university, but no, most high end sports teams do not eat cafeteria food. Most of them have private team chefs and nutritionists, period. 

This was all explained very well when people were mad that Trump fed them McDonald's.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

nah, according to Bloodyhell it’s very rare a school doesn’t have an adequate budget to provide appropriate nutrition to their athletes. Far from only the richest, most successful programs in college. So no need to improve conditions. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

nah, according to Bloodyhell it’s very rare a school doesn’t have an adequate budget to provide appropriate nutrition to their athletes. Far from only the richest, most successful programs in college. So no need to improve conditions. 

I mean, I said High End, but yeah, keep twisting words and pretending top tier ncaa athletes (who are the only ones who will ever make money in college) are poor neglected kids. Or that I said the nothing has to change. Whatever makes you feel better.

21 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Im not saying they shouldn't be paid, the ncaa makes billions.

But im not going to pretend that these athletes have it rough, either.

And I can't speak for every university, but no, most high end sports teams do not eat cafeteria food. Most of them have private team chefs and nutritionists, period. 

This was all explained very well when people were mad that Trump fed them McDonald's.

I say pay them a percentage of the bazillions being made off their labor, end the notion of a sports scholarship, and make them buy all the perks (including the nice food) and pay tuition themselves.  If it’s a fair percentage, they’ll be making more than enough to afford it all and still have plenty left over.

This will probably ruin college sports and make it so only the big, marquis teams will ever compete for championships and be of any relevance but it’ll at least be fair—and honest about what college sports really is.

• 1 month later...

I certainly don't follow college football prospects, but it seems this kid is the top prospect this year and he's choosing to go to a school where he can make money over one where he can't.

I find it kind of interesting that he's calling this out specifically, since he's choosing Ohio State over Texas, and even with my limited knowledge of CFB, I'm pretty sure Ohio has been consistently the better team. So he easily could have just said he's going to Ohio for generic football or college reasons, but he's making a statement in calling out the money situation. Good for him and those advising him.

Bad post. As pointed out he's choosing to go to Ohio State rather than play high school in Texas another year, where he would not be allowed to make money. Still a post about how the new rules allowing him to profit from his name and likeness have changed the decision making of the top college prospect, so I'll leave it up.

He isn’t choosing OSU over UT (he committed to OSU years ago), he is choosing going to OSU now over his high school senior season at the football powerhouse that is Southlake Carroll.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He isn’t choosing OSU over UT (he committed to OSU years ago), he is choosing going to OSU now over his high school senior season at the football powerhouse that is Southlake Carroll.

My mistake. I didn't realize Texas UIL refers to the organization that governs Texas high school athletes.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Also moves up by a year when he can be drafted. Kinda screws up the plans coach day had for the qb pipeline but that's the game!