Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

54 minutes ago, Brian said:

Wow that’s much earlier than I expected. Confidence must be high. 

I submitted my vacation for that week. 
:feelsgood:

the early access for deluxe editions can start playing on 9/1, so it’s not that surprising to me. 

what I do wonder is if the review copies are all  Series X, PC, a mix, or all-in-one “play anywhere” codes. There’s a part of me that expects Series X/S only to maybe hide the PC options and performance for as long as possible. 

A Starfield Q&A has dropped to celebrate the RPG's pre-launch gold status, first taking place in a Discord server, and later kindly transcribed by user ninjabell on the Starfield subreddit.

While it has some juicy revelations, such as the fact there'll be no full pacifist runs, I'm far more fascinated by its brief look into the game's main three religions.

While all existing modern-day religions are part of Todd Howard's space boogaloo, design director Emil Pagliarulo highlighted three new additions to the game's canon. There's the Sanctum Universum, a group who think God is waiting to be found in the universe, and The Enlightened, atheists who do community outreach programs. 

These pale in comparison, however, to House Va'ruun, the only one of Starfield's neo-religions I have any time for. They worship a deity called the Great Serpent, who they believe will one day encircle the universe.

A complete transcript of the Discord Q&A has been posted on the game's sub-Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/15swuqp/discord_server_qa_full_transcript/

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

that still always seemed low to me for a brand new game. Like I remember when Halo games used to come out you’re seeing concurrent players online in the millions on Xbox. Same when COD would come out. If every switch was online showing concurrent players you’d have seen players in the millions for TotK and most major Nintendo releases. So it always seems odd to me the store front with the largest users and market share on PC by far, any game being under 1 million concurrent players during every peak play session in the game first week of release is still considered “good”. 

BG3 sold like 2.5 million units in EA alone. So you’d think concurrent players would be easily above at least 1 million at launch at some point and grow as the number of copies sold since launches increases. It’s not like it’s a short game you beat in an afternoon. It’s something most will be playing for days and days, if not weeks and weeks. 

The primary difference is that a lot of that was just the days of monolithic games. That is, when Halo games came out... that was it, that was the game to play if you were on Xbox. Meanwhile on Steam, a lot of folks just have hundreds or thousands of games and many buy games without immediately playing them. I think you'll find that true on this very forum for very many people. Plus with a game like BG3, which is even better in co-op, you're dealing with many adults trying to coordinate with their friends in different states, regions or countries so they can play together.

Speaking of regions, Steam is very globally distributed, so when one region's playing, several others are asleep or at work. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't count players with private profiles, and certainly doesn't count offline ones.

Finally, I'm not convinced that even something like ToTK would be pulling even 2 million concurrents. Again, folks in Japan are asleep when folks in America are playing and people in Europe are at work. Plus time zone differences even in single countries means that "prime time" is watered down further. I truly believe that the simple fact that there's so many more big releases than there used to be, coupled with the fact that the audience for these types of games is older in general (I imagine a LOT of Halo's initial surges were middle school to college aged people) I bet that's just not something you should expect to see very often.

Finally pt. 2, adding to the "we don't have monolithic games like that anymore," I bet if you looked at other game concurrent player counts when Halo released, none came within a country mile. Meanwhile right now, the top 10 games by current players on Steam right now totals to about 5.5 million, with a pretty predictable spread. CSGO at 1.275m, Dota 2 at 577k, BG3 at 465k, PUBG at 379k and so on. That's 5.5 million players currently gaming at 8:30AM PST, on a single platform. Now imagine how many are in Genshin Impact, Starrail, various non-Steam platforms, MMOs that have their own launchers, etc.

(Finally, cont.) And all that not counting us PC players that also have multiple consoles and handhelds. There's just so much more to do in gaming in general now that super high concurrent player counts are not going to hit multi-millions unless it's some kind of miracle game that unifies the neckbeards.

(Final Finally) Even THEN, most of the top played games are either free (like CS:GO, Dota 2, PUBG, Apex Legends, NARAKA: BLADEPOINT, and TF2... in other words, most of the list. Or, they're cheap, like GTA V and Rust. Baldur's Gate 3 sits miles above any other $60 title.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biggie said:

For somebody supposedly saving money 

Hustling Make It Rain GIF

I've been anticipating this game for a very long time. Only if it gets incredible reviews would I pull the trigger. Plus I have off on the 4th so it would be nice to have the game then. 

• Hype 1

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I just hope we don’t need the Sep 6 day-one-patch to give it reasonable performance. :lol:

That would blow. Hopefully the early reviews are honest about the technical stuff so we don't get played. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

That would blow. Hopefully the early reviews are honest about the technical stuff so we don't get played. 

depends on what they got to play. If they were only able to play an Xbox version and it was solid, but the PC version is all kinds of lacking and we don’t find out about that until 9/1. The reverse of CDPR only letting outlets play the PC version to hide the inadequacies of the console versions until launch. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let’s be honest, not exactly a high bar to meet. lol That’s like proclaiming this season will be the NY Jets best season in 8 years. They only have to be 8-8 to do that. Lmao

Still though it wouldn’t surprise me. I would bet MS and Bethesda are throwing a bunch of resources at this one. My friend preloaded the game on Xbox last week and the preload had an update yesterday of like 90GB. 

I figured they were trying to get as many patches in while the game is being reviewed for both good will and a better launch experience. Even if there’s still noticeable issues at launch, I assume Bethesda wants to ensure the reviews are still good and won’t paint Starfield as yet another broken and unfinished game and a failed promise to gamers. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Still though it wouldn’t surprise me. I would bet MS and Bethesda are throwing a bunch of resources at this one. My friend preloaded the game on Xbox last week and the preload had an update yesterday of like 90GB. 

There was no preload until yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Well don’t know what to tell you. He was able to download over 100GB of something of a Starfield last week

It was a few megs downloaded and the full size reserved.

Starfield preloads for Xbox Series X|S will be available from August 17, while those buying it through Steam on PC can preload Starfield from August 30.1 day ago. 

They didn't download the game a week ago. 

7 minutes ago, Ominous said:

It was a few megs downloaded and the full size reserved.

Starfield preloads for Xbox Series X|S will be available from August 17, while those buying it through Steam on PC can preload Starfield from August 30.1 day ago. 

They didn't download the game a week ago. 

Well his uncle works for Nintendo so they beat the game already.

One Tree Hill Brooke GIF

There's a TON of hype about this game right now, and I'm definitely going to wait until it dies down before deciding to invest time into it. With BG3 and Remnant II, I've got plenty of game content on my hands that I don't need to rush and buy this right away, regardless of the reviews.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Don't know if it was posted, but some people did some data mining into the preload files and it looks like, unsurprisingly, there is no DLSS or XeSS

https://reddit.com/r/nvidia/s/1ArXfkmIiM

@stepee

PureDark's DLSS2+3 mod will be available day one of Starfield's early access

https://space.bilibili.com/308446/

It appears that PureDark has received a review code, he posted the following on Bilibili:
“9月1号解禁时准时出星空的DLSS2+3的mod"

or in English:

"DLSS2+3 mod for Starfield coming out on time for Sept. 1 release"

• Like 1
  • Hype 3