Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

The Russian IL-76 was splashed by a Ukrainian SU-27.

While shooting down a transport isn't as "sexy" as doing so to a fighter, it's definitely a greater contribution to the war effort.  My father was a night fighter (Bristol Beaufighter) pilot for the RAF in WWII stationed primarily in the Middle East.  During one operation, his squadron was tasked with intercepting German transport aircraft evacuating their forces from Crete.  In his telling, it was a goddamned turkey shoot as they literally pounced on the JU-52 transports and sent one after another plunging into the Mediterranean Sea.

To him, this was the best operation he participated in for the whole war because in his words, "With each transport I shot down, I sent 18 Nazi Kraut bastards straight to hell."

• Sicko 10

4 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Is it though? Ukrainian are still in the air again a modern air defense system. 

It probably makes a big difference that the ground below them is friendly, Russia's systems have to project out from behind the front line, now just imagine if they were trying to attack into something like F-22s.

• Ukraine 1

I have friends in Ukraine, as you all know. Two of my very best are a couple named Sasha and Zhenya. They fled their hometown of Donetsk when the fighting started there in 2014. Today, as Russian troops streamed into Obolon, a suburb of Kyiv, they once again packed up to leave. I don't know where they went. I don't even know if they know where they're going. They have a young girl and have just had their second child only a few months ago. 

I have not bothered them any with messages except to wish them safety on the first night of the invasion. They're safe. Earlier Zhenya posted on instagram about how they were leaving. Their newborn was sleeping soundly in the car as they fled past the tanks defending Kyiv. 

unknown.png

This is the one that broke me.

I'm unplugging for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
  • Ukraine 8

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

What’s the deal with India? We have been cozying up to them to counter China in the Pacific. 

India has a long-standing political/economic/military relationship with Russia, stretching back to the days of the Soviet Union.

During the latter stages of the Cold War (1970s to 1980s), the US/China/Pakistan formed one axis while the USSR/India formed another.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

India has a long-standing political/economic/military relationship with Russia, stretching back to the days of the Soviet Union.

During the latter stages of the Cold War (1970s to 1980s), the US/China/Pakistan formed one axis while the USSR/India formed another.

So China and Pakistan are first world countries?