Goldman Sachs bankers ask for 80-hour week cap

8 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Look, I don't care what your position is, what your business is, who your employer is, or how much of a scumbag you are.

No one should be forced to work 80+ hours a week.

This is true! 

But these aren't the jobs of "I need this in order to eat and have a roof over the head of my family" caliber. They're "I want to be wealthy within the decade" jobs. These are not people without the resources, skills, or pedigree to find other work. These people can and should quit, but they don't because they have their eyes on the prize ($$$$$$$$)

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is true! 

But these aren't the jobs of "I need this in order to eat and have a roof over the head of my family" caliber. They're "I want to be wealthy within the decade" jobs. These are not people without the resources, skills, or pedigree to find other work. These people can and should quit, but they don't because they have their eyes on the prize ($$$$$$$$)

Yes, but they're not swimming in money in their first year, and it's first year people who put in the complaint. 

If they were making $200k right off the bat (which I think they were pre-2008 but not any more) it'd be one thing, but even $91k is still "I can't not have roommates" and is bullshit to be put through 95 hour weeks for. 

In my opinion, if you work at a place like GS, you know what you're getting into. They fucking own you, they know it, they count on it, it's part of their system. The upper execs make 3848 billion with a severance package that would last you 2 lifetimes and only work 5 hours a week.

I hate corporate culture so, so much.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is true! 

The American left will never build a winning coalition if it puts arbitrary boundaries around which workers deserve protection and which do not. 

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The American left will never build a winning coalition if it puts arbitrary boundaries around which workers deserve protection and which do not. 

I saw so many bad takes about why it was okay to cut the stimmy off at $80k. "You're making way above average if you make $80k, you don't need it!"

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Lmao. GS should be torn apart by the state and no one should work there out of solidarity for those who the company has harmed. You go there as either a scion of the capitalist class or as one aspirationally so. You go in there knowing this. This isn't a job you just happen upon. 

Two things would make society better, in this area:

1. No more unpaid internships at any level of society. Interns are paid at the same rate as entry-level staff in that position
  2. Maximum 40 hours per week in any profession, no exceptions outside of life-or-death emergencies

"Oh, but what about doctors?" you might ask. Hire more fucking doctors to take the other shifts.

Unpaid internships are doubly bad because the only people who can afford to take those positions are those who come from enough wealth that not getting paid for a while isn't a big deal. My brother had to abandon one of his degrees because it required an internship and no one offered pay.

3 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Look, I don't care what your position is, what your business is, who your employer is, or how much of a scumbag you are.

No one should be forced to work 80+ hours a week.

There is a show on HBO Max called Industry which covers this situation.

5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Not only is this not even remotely the same thing, it’s an offensive comparison for survivors of assault.

People are literally ITT saying "boo hoo they knew this is what the business is like".