Goldman Sachs bankers ask for 80-hour week cap

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

People are literally ITT saying "boo hoo they knew this is what the business is like".

I don’t feel like getting too much into this because it dredges up old trauma, but in the future you really should avoid this example as your go-to for victim blaming. It’s applied inappropriately here.

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

So abusing people in a job is okay because you can choose to not take the job. Got it. 

Truth be told, I don't care what happens to people who work at Goldman or similar banking firms. The abuse they get is a fraction of what they dole out. It's inherent immoral business.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Truth be told, I don't care what happens to people who work at Goldman or similar banking firms. The abuse they get is a fraction of what they dole out. It's inherent immoral business.

The analyst being forced to work 95 hours for $65k is not the person doling out the abuse. 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm ignorant. What does a banker even do outside of trading and banking hours?

The finance industry has psychotic levels of demanding presenteeism. Nobody wants to be seen leaving the office first which creates a prisoner's dilemma situation of everyone staying insanely late for no real reason other than being seen staying late.

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Obviously it's not the same as sexual or physical assault.  But at the same time, no one willingly takes a job that demands them to work 80+ hours a week.  And besides, saying "just quit and get a different job!" is like telling a poor person to "just get a better job!".

Even if they willingly take it I'm assuming most of them don't really process how horrific it's gonna be until they're actually living those 80+ hour weeks. It's like arguing people should have the freedom to pick food with lead in it.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

"The meatpacking industry is bad for society. Anything that discourages new people from joining those ranks is a net positive :p"

Meatpacking is arguably an essential service and most of the people who work in that industry are doing it so they don't starve. We absolutely should advocate for change in that industry, but comparing it to people who work for Goldman Sachs is disingenuous. No one is working at Goldman Sachs to put food on the table, they're doing it to get rich at a company that literally provides no positive impact on society.

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Obviously it's not the same as sexual or physical assault.  But at the same time, no one willingly takes a job that demands them to work 80+ hours a week. 

And besides, saying "just quit and get a different job!" is like telling a poor person to "just get a better job!".

They take it because they want they're drawn in by the promise of huge wealth, the lifestyle of elite "Wall Street", and the status of Goldman Sachs on their resume.

Comparing this to saying to a poor person "get a better job" is completely and utterly ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Obviously it's not the same as sexual or physical assault.  But at the same time, no one willingly takes a job that demands them to work 80+ hours a week. 

And besides, saying "just quit and get a different job!" is like telling a poor person to "just get a better job!".

As @b_m_b_m_b_mpointed out, the type of person getting a GS job straight outta college has a LOT of options that don’t involve working ridiculous amounts of hours. They take these jobs because they are the stepping stones to very lucrative banking careers, and it’s a degenerate industry top to bottom. 

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Meatpacking is arguably an essential service and most of the people who work in that industry are doing it so they don't starve. We absolutely should advocate for change in that industry, but comparing it to people who work for Goldman Sachs is disingenuous. No one is working at Goldman Sachs to put food on the table, they're doing it to get rich at a company that literally provides no positive impact on society.

They're not getting rich during the period where they're working 95 hour weeks. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

As @b_m_b_m_b_mpointed out, the type of person getting a GS job straight outta college has a LOT of options that don’t involve working ridiculous amounts of hours. They take these jobs because they are the stepping stones to very lucrative banking careers, and it’s a degenerate industry top to bottom. 

I don't see why that's a reason to dismiss the abusive labor practices executed on the bottom rung of the industry, who are not even getting paid six figures while being abused. 

Just now, marioandsonic said:

But at the same time, no one willingly takes a job that demands them to work 80+ hours a week

Patently not true. They see this as an investment in future opportunities for more money

The people who can get hired at GS can get hired anywhere. They want money and nothing more, and if they want to sell their soul to the global capitalist in the service of exploiting everyone else order go ahead. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Patently not true. They see this as an investment in future opportunities for more money

The people who can get hired at GS can get hired anywhere. They want money and nothing more, and if they want to sell their soul to the global capitalist in the service of exploiting everyone else order go ahead. 

Or they got railroaded into finance by their family but fuck them for not being super woke at 21 right? 

When did these industries contribute to the global financial crisis 15 years ago?

First year analysts are not the ones who caused the financial crisis. 

I really don't understand why everyone here is okay making excuses for abusive labor practices they'd have no problem denouncing in other circumstances. 

Just now, Jason said:

I don't see why that's a reason to dismiss the abusive labor practices executed on the bottom rung of the industry, who are not even getting paid six figures while being abused. 

I don’t care what abusive labor situations these vultures-in-training go through. I think this continues to be what you aren’t getting and why comparisons to stuff like acting or modeling don’t work. These low level GS employees are seeking jobs that harm society.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I'm not going to deny that people who work as GS are better off than those who are poor.  That was a bad comparison on my end.  And yes, GS is a shitty company, and the banking industry is a shitty industry.

But my main point is, none of that means that the people working there deserve to be abused.  No matter what a person's age, sex, gender, financial status, or social status is, abuse in the workplace is still abuse in the workplace, and it needs to fucking stop.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t care what abusive labor situations these vultures-in-training go through. I think this continues to be what you aren’t getting and why comparisons to stuff like acting or modeling don’t work. These low level GS employees are seeking jobs that harm society.

No I get perfectly fine that you don't care, I just think it's fucking gross. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I really don't understand why everyone here is okay making excuses for abusive labor practices they'd have no problem denouncing in other circumstances. 

Executives rely on these people to do the heavy lifting and these people are aspirational executives.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

While I'm generally on your side on this issue, I think the main difference is that these folks are going to eventually grow into positions that will continue to perpetuate this system. 

Just now, Jason said:

If you claim to support ending workplace abuse then you can't just selectively pick who you think deserves it. 

There's probably no company who is more abusive than Goldman. I'm for ending abuse and if that requires making working for Goldman a terrible place so be it

1 minute ago, Joe said:

While I'm generally on your side on this issue, I think the main difference is that these folks are going to eventually grow into positions that will continue to perpetuate this system. 

Then fix the system that allows the financial system to harm society. Saying you're okay with the entry level people being abused in the meantime isn't okay though. 

There's probably no company who is more abusive than Goldman. I'm for ending abuse and if that requires making working for Goldman a terrible place so be it

Again, support fixing the system, not abuse of the entry level people.