Goldman Sachs bankers ask for 80-hour week cap

1 minute ago, Joe said:

While I'm generally on your side on this issue, I think the main difference is that these folks are going to eventually grow into positions that will continue to perpetuate this system. 

The explicitly DESIRE those positions. That’s why I simply do not care that they have to work terrible hours to get there.

Letting the entry level people be abused in the hopes that it drives people away from companies like Goldman in lieu of fixing the system directly is not doing anything to fix the system, it just perpetuates how shitty it is by causing the industry to self-select for ever more sadistic people. 

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

The funny thing is these twerps don't realize that reforming the system will almost assuredly mean pay-cuts. Let it happen as it should and watch them squirm.

If you addressed the labor abuse issues in finance then you'd probably decrease the percentage of sociopaths at the top by keeping the more normal people from burning out and bailing while they're new. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Letting the entry level people be abused in the hopes that it drives people away from companies like Goldman in lieu of fixing the system directly is not doing anything to fix the system, it just perpetuates how shitty it is by causing the industry to self-select for ever more sadistic people. 

This.  If these people quit, is GS going to change their ways?  Fuck no, they're just going to bring on some new bodies that are willing to deal with the abuse.  That's not fixing the problem at all. 

What needs to happen is that GS and the industry needs to be investigated and reformed so that this doesn't keep happening.  I can't claim that I know what those exact reforms are though.

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

What needs to happen is that GS and the industry needs to be investigated and reformed so that this doesn't keep happening.  I can't claim that I know what those exact reforms are though.

There is absolutely no way to reform that particular industry whatsoever.

The only solution is its complete dissolution and the public execution of the executives and their families by inverted crucifixion.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The only solution is its complete dissolution and the public execution of the executives and their families by inverted crucifixion.

Sadly, you're probably right.

Same with the healthcare industry.  And I work in it!

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This would be fine too! 

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Kinda weird you threw their families in there.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47i05pzenb9r43rkzgjj

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Any industry built on the backs of overworked employees can get the axe as far as I’m concerned.  Fuck any of the old justifications and a bullet to any boomer who keeps this shit going forward as if the crucible is somehow a good thing.  

So the video game industry should get the axe?