Official Nuke the Filibuster Thread

3 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

What's the plan to convince Manchin and Sinema to nuke it?

Manchin seems much more invested in the infrastructure bill. Either the GOP will budge on it, or we'll probably see movement on filibuster reform with bringing back the speaking filibuster and 40 votes to stop rather than 60 to move standard that Manchin has already opened the door on considering.

It may not be the blank check some want, but the former makes it harder for the GOP to block 70% or more popular bills when they have to stand up there non-stop and actually speak against them. While the latter just makes it harder logistically for the GOP to block something indefinitely.

The more I look into it, the more I am optimistic that there will be some movement on it(or the GOP will make the calculation to budge so they can give Manchin an excuse to not do it). The whole reason Obama's stimulus was watered down was because Blue Dogs refused to use reconciliation at the time. It doesn't get enough recognition that getting Manchin signed on to this bill through reconciliation was a victory in itself. Also, Manchin moved on the lower court appointment filibuster in 2013. They waited too long, and in some ways the Dems got the worst of both worlds because of it, but it also seems like Dems may have learned a lesson from it. Believe me, I will join in the calls for his head if we are 6 months done the road with no other bill passed and no movement on the filibuster, but I think there is middle ground between that, and a complete elimination on it for everything.

That said, I have to say, some people have been unrealistic with Manchin and the filibuster, I think. If you are Manchin, and inclined to keep the filibuster, why on earth would you be talking about nuking it after just the first bill they've done, and Dems got the vast majority of they wanted anyway. And they stuff they didn't get was stuff Manchin didn't want anyway. Wait until a bill Manchin wants to pass is being stonewalled before judging his true intentions. 

Politically speaking even if, in his heart of hearts, he had decided to nuke the filibuster from the very second Warnock and Ossoff won he would probably still be doing what he's doing. It gives him the room to say, "I said again and again I wanted to keep the filibuster, but Republicans forced my hand when they wouldn't give an inch".

11 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It gives him the room to say, "I said again and again I wanted to keep the filibuster, but Republicans forced my hand when they wouldn't give an inch".

The frustrating part is, I'm pretty sure he's the only person who gives a shit about that, I seriously doubt his voters actually do.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Not sure if this belongs here, but wow! Schumer ain't fucking around.

Ok so I am basically having a conversation with myself here, but it's cool. 

A few days ago, AOC mentioned this "Easter Egg" in the COVID bill. I thought it was interesting, but nothing more than that. Well looks like the cat is out of the bag:

They're not fucking around this time.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

A few days ago, AOC mentioned this "Easter Egg" in the COVID bill. I thought it was interesting, but nothing more than that. Well looks like the cat is out of the bag:

Now we just need them to actually do something with it.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Chuck Schumer finally waking up with these lit tweets. Big dick Schumer energy??

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Looks like the "standing filibuster" is going to become a thing:

If by "going back to the founding fathers" he means "it was first implemented 60 years after the founding of the country, after every single one of the founding fathers were dead, and basically ensured the Civil War by giving the minority party a bigger voice than they already had," then yes. he's right.

Alright, Mitch - let's have at it then!

?m=02&d=20210316&t=2&i=1555093096&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday warned Democrats that ending a long-standing Senate procedure that can block partisan legislation would bring President Joe Biden's agenda to a standstill and lead to retribution in...

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday warned Democrats that ending a long-standing Senate procedure that can block partisan legislation would bring President Joe Biden's agenda to a standstill and lead to retribution in...

Pretty clear sign to just fucking do it.

McConnell also warned that Democrats would face a starkly conservative agenda on labor, energy, abortion rights, border security and gun ownership in 2022, if Republicans took back the majority with the filibuster no longer in place.

“We wouldn’t just erase every liberal change that hurt the country. We’d strengthen America with all kinds of conservative policies with zero – zero - input from the other side,” he said.

lol like Cocaine Mitch was going to give Democrats input

The GOP didn't get rid of it last time around simply because they didn't have the votes, likely because more than a handful knew they'd be voting on crazy shit like repealing SS or something idiotic coming out of the house, lol.  They were eager to toss it to ram through some SCOTUS nominations though, but they couldn't even do ACA repeal when they had 53 senate seats through reconciliation.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.REUTERS.COM

Mitch - "elections will have consequences if you get rid of the filibuster"