The Cyberpunk Gameplay Discussion Thread

skillzdadirecta

So let's actually discuss the game in this thread... the other thread has been taken over by tech talk which is fine but that also becomes what MOST of these threads are about. What choices have you guys made so far? How are you building out your V? What background did you chose? We can mark spoilers as well. I'm still pretty early and I started out as a street kid. I'm trying to build my V out as combination of pistol and melee with a little bit of stealth and tech. I also wish ther was a third person option as well because of how creative you can get with your character but alas... 

I started over since I had no idea about the skill trees. Looks like you can make a good stealth handgun build and in general, stealth is OP in most games. So I'm going to go for that. I went with corpo since I'm a corporate "wage slave" as it is so I figured I would go with that. Now I just need to get done with work so I can play some more. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still not that far into it... maybe five hours or so? Haven't hut the splash screen yet

Whats up with the cops in this game? I just got attacked by them for just walking by... WTF?!

yeah the cops are awful. i walked too close to them a few times and they wanted to kill me 

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I just cross the street qhen I see them now lol

It’s all part of the bad AI in this game. From NPCs to random events to combat, it’s all pretty bad. 

im copying/pasting my comment from the tech thread here without the tags :

I have about 10hrs in now, so I feel pretty good about giving my impression of the game based on what ive played so far. Ill start with I am in complete disagreement with anyone that thinks this game is incredible. I would say overall the game is OK-Good at best. I would say 7.5/10. bugs/graphics aside, here are my issues: 

• the NPC are lifless drones. At some point, CDPR touted that the NPC were going to all have purpose and 1000s of varying interactions to some effect. They dont. They are awful boring and repetitive. THey are on a walking loop basically and all you can do is say hi to them and they will spit out the same redundant answer over and over again.

• The random events in the world are awful. You roll up to a "assualt in progress" and the assailant is just standing there with a gun to an NPC........and most of the time, nothing seems to ever happen. Occasionally you can come across something "in progress" where it feels like a scripted gunfight that you're suddenly just thrown into if you get too close. Even after you finish a world event like that, the NPC will just stay crouched down or with their hands up, never acknowledging you saved them. To add to that, any NPCs that are near the world event that hear or see the gunfight go down, will run and duck and then never recover from that position once its over. Lifeless. 

• The only thing that really matters is DPS with the guns. At least at this point. Theres really nothing yet that has any sort of spec build on it. Maybe some fire/electrical DOTs but its not unique enough to want to spec a build for something like that. And theres really only a few types of guns in the game to boot. Im sure more get introduced later on (i hope) but i have my doubts that they will possess any sort of unique abilities. Even if they do, after you spec'd your build its not easy to go back and change  it (a la Valhalla). I came across a vendor that sold a respec but it was like 100,000 eddies. 

• Armor at this point is basically the same. Some do seem to come with extra perks, but its few and far between and all that really matters is the armor rating. Same issue with guns, i dont see a path to a spec build (like the witcher gearsets - but im really hoping im wrong). And with no transmog, my character looks fucking ridiculous all the time because for whatever reason they thought t-shirts and pants should have an armor rating instead just being a cosmetic. 

• Crafting thus far is useless and expensive. Its also very random and Im finding higher DPS guns in the world just playing that i get when i craft. Too be fair, i havent even tried to craft anything else except a few pistols and sniper rifle. So no idea really how armor or cyberware crafting will work. i also dont think i found any blueprints for that stuff yet anyway. 

• I absolutely hate how side missions arbitrarily fall into your lap via phone calls or texts. and from what i can tell, even if you dont respond or pick up, they still go into your side mission list. i would rather be able to go get side missions when i choose.  and so far - i havent really gotten any meaningful missions - gun for hire, go track down ai cars that are acting wonky, go box these people... there is no depth to them - but all the reviews said the side stuff really makes the game shine - so i dont know if maybe im not far enough in or im missing something? i do see on the map a bunch of question marks that arent tied to a mission in my journal. perhaps they will trigger a true mission with his depth? 

• in combat it really feels like this game was catered to PC (i think every aspect was at this point) but its difficult to be in the middle of a gun fight and try to also incoropate cyberattacks at the same time. i works, but its not fluid and really breaks up the immersion and flow of a fight by have to pause  -> scan -> select -> wait for it work. it works well for stealth play though. so i wind up just trying to setup the area first, then engage guns blazing basically. 

• Enemy AI while fighting is dumb. they either take cover or rush you. thats it, they dont try to flank or use the envirionment or do any sort of coordinated attack.. after a bunch of fights its pretty predictable as to what is going to happen. this why hard difficulty isnt that hard. just keep your distance and youll be fine.  

So thats a really big list of negatives, i know. and youre wondering why im even playing.... well a few things

• -the exploration and vertically of it is really fun, im enjoy that aspect for sure

• Now that i have the graphics ironed out as best as i can, its a really good looking games at times and each of the areas do feel a bit unique (if not lifeless though)

• and the biggest thing for me rn is im intrigued by the story. i like where its heading and im interested in continuing it. im hoping it keeps my interest, 

Oh yeah, shotties are great. So is hacking as you get deeper into it. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but on PC, I find this game to be excellent, bugs aside. And the bugs are nowhere near what skyrim was at launch. 

Gameplay is great, I love doing the side quests. Im truly loving this game. 

The ways you can beat enemies too. I had one place, two enemies I had to kill. Before I started the fight I hacked their weapons, blinded one, and then unloaded on the other with the shotgun while neither of tgeir weapons would work. 

I can also weaken every enemy on a network by 30% for 6 minutes. I love this stuff.

40 minutes ago, atom631 said:

It’s all part of the bad AI in this game. From NPCs to random events to combat, it’s all pretty bad. 

im copying/pasting my comment from the tech thread here without the tags :

I have about 10hrs in now, so I feel pretty good about giving my impression of the game based on what ive played so far. Ill start with I am in complete disagreement with anyone that thinks this game is incredible. I would say overall the game is OK-Good at best. I would say 7.5/10. bugs/graphics aside, here are my issues: 

• the NPC are lifless drones. At some point, CDPR touted that the NPC were going to all have purpose and 1000s of varying interactions to some effect. They dont. They are awful boring and repetitive. THey are on a walking loop basically and all you can do is say hi to them and they will spit out the same redundant answer over and over again.

• The random events in the world are awful. You roll up to a "assualt in progress" and the assailant is just standing there with a gun to an NPC........and most of the time, nothing seems to ever happen. Occasionally you can come across something "in progress" where it feels like a scripted gunfight that you're suddenly just thrown into if you get too close. Even after you finish a world event like that, the NPC will just stay crouched down or with their hands up, never acknowledging you saved them. To add to that, any NPCs that are near the world event that hear or see the gunfight go down, will run and duck and then never recover from that position once its over. Lifeless. 

• The only thing that really matters is DPS with the guns. At least at this point. Theres really nothing yet that has any sort of spec build on it. Maybe some fire/electrical DOTs but its not unique enough to want to spec a build for something like that. And theres really only a few types of guns in the game to boot. Im sure more get introduced later on (i hope) but i have my doubts that they will possess any sort of unique abilities. Even if they do, after you spec'd your build its not easy to go back and change  it (a la Valhalla). I came across a vendor that sold a respec but it was like 100,000 eddies. 

• Armor at this point is basically the same. Some do seem to come with extra perks, but its few and far between and all that really matters is the armor rating. Same issue with guns, i dont see a path to a spec build (like the witcher gearsets - but im really hoping im wrong). And with no transmog, my character looks fucking ridiculous all the time because for whatever reason they thought t-shirts and pants should have an armor rating instead just being a cosmetic. 

• Crafting thus far is useless and expensive. Its also very random and Im finding higher DPS guns in the world just playing that i get when i craft. Too be fair, i havent even tried to craft anything else except a few pistols and sniper rifle. So no idea really how armor or cyberware crafting will work. i also dont think i found any blueprints for that stuff yet anyway. 

• I absolutely hate how side missions arbitrarily fall into your lap via phone calls or texts. and from what i can tell, even if you dont respond or pick up, they still go into your side mission list. i would rather be able to go get side missions when i choose.  and so far - i havent really gotten any meaningful missions - gun for hire, go track down ai cars that are acting wonky, go box these people... there is no depth to them - but all the reviews said the side stuff really makes the game shine - so i dont know if maybe im not far enough in or im missing something? i do see on the map a bunch of question marks that arent tied to a mission in my journal. perhaps they will trigger a true mission with his depth? 

• in combat it really feels like this game was catered to PC (i think every aspect was at this point) but its difficult to be in the middle of a gun fight and try to also incoropate cyberattacks at the same time. i works, but its not fluid and really breaks up the immersion and flow of a fight by have to pause  -> scan -> select -> wait for it work. it works well for stealth play though. so i wind up just trying to setup the area first, then engage guns blazing basically. 

• Enemy AI while fighting is dumb. they either take cover or rush you. thats it, they dont try to flank or use the envirionment or do any sort of coordinated attack.. after a bunch of fights its pretty predictable as to what is going to happen. this why hard difficulty isnt that hard. just keep your distance and youll be fine.  

So thats a really big list of negatives, i know. and youre wondering why im even playing.... well a few things

• -the exploration and vertically of it is really fun, im enjoy that aspect for sure

• Now that i have the graphics ironed out as best as i can, its a really good looking games at times and each of the areas do feel a bit unique (if not lifeless though)

• and the biggest thing for me rn is im intrigued by the story. i like where its heading and im interested in continuing it. im hoping it keeps my interest, 

I feel the same but I wanna add some other things

The opening choice of Street kid, Corpo, and Nomad appear to have no bearing on the story. Outside of the first 30 mins of the game, everyone ends up at the same spot.

Calling this game an RPG is like calling Barbie Horse Adventure a survival horror. I am not sure how in this day and age that FO:NV manages to account for stats and builds with dialog options but this one doesnt. The dialog feels like TW3 dialog and that doesnt work for this game. 

Gun play and combat is FO4 levels, there are hundreds of good FPS to crib from and yet here we are.

I feel like any other game released like this would bomb

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The opening choice of Street kid, Corpo, and Nomad appear to have no bearing on the story. Outside of the first 30 mins of the game, everyone ends up at the same spot.

Calling this game an RPG is like calling Barbie Horse Adventure a survival horror. I am not sure how in this day and age that FO:NV manages to account for stats and builds with dialog options but this one doesnt. The dialog feels like TW3 dialog and that doesnt work for this game. 

Gun play and combat is FO4 levels, there are hundreds of good FPS to crib from and yet here we are.

What are you playing on? Because its not CoD, but tthe gunplay is great! And not an rpg? You’re really stretching. Don’t like it, fine, especially if playing on console, but saying things like its not an rpg is absurd. The rpg mechanics are constantly there. 

34 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Hmmm because impressions I've read is that the game is very MUCH an RPG. Like its an RPG first that plays like a shooter. In fact i wonder if the stealth will get better if you build your character more towards stealth because rigth now enemies see and detect me when I feel like they shouldn't.

And I beg to differ, the shooting and melee combat are MUCH better than anything in the Fallout games.  That said, I had my first crash after 10 hours of play.

Handguns feel pretty good too... also I'm loving the music. Just came across a funny glitch that I'm gonna upload shortly though :p There's a decent amount of Euro-jank in this game. Like CDPR wanted to get back to their roots :lol:

Is anybody playing as a female V? How is her voice acting? The guy is just... ok.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think we need to create a gameplay thread for Cyberpunk. This thread is getting filled with VO discussion, which I find boring AF. 

The fuck are you talking about? Go back to the other thread and jerk off to frame rates and resolutions or whatever other bullshit you guys masturbate about

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

What are you playing on? Because its not CoD, but tthe gunplay is great!

2080S but not that it matters. The combat is floaty and lifeless.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmm because impressions I've read is that the game is very MUCH an RPG. Like its an RPG first that plays like a shooter

The problem for me is it doesnt really do either very well. I am still early on maybe it will change.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

2080S but not that it matters. The combat is floaty and lifeless.

The problem for me is it doesnt really do either very well. I am still early on maybe it will change.

Hmmm guns feel surprisingly weighty to me. Especially the shotgun and this heavy pistol I just got. What guns have you tried so far? I just (Story spoilers for the end of act one, don't read if you haven't gotten that far)

Spoiler

Played a flashback section with Johhny Silverhands and the gun you use in that was AWESOME. Every headshot was a head REMOVER :lol:

I think the combat WILL become more substantial the more you rank up and the better the gear you get. But yeah, I like the FEEL of most of the guns so far. 

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmm guns feel surprisingly weighty to me. Especially the shotgun and this heavy pistol I just got. What guns have you tried so far? I just (Story spoilers for the end of act one, don't read if you haven't gotten that far)

Reveal hidden contents

I think the combat WILL become more substantial the more you rank up and the better the gear you get. But yeah, I like the FEEL of most of the guns so far. 

Yes. My V needs that fucking gun so bad.

I started with a bunch of intel with hacking, but I think I got the core perks wanted and am mainly focusing on blades now. Running between cover and dicing people up is super fun.

25 minutes ago, legend said:

Yes. My V needs that fucking gun so bad.

I started with a bunch of intel with hacking, but I think I got the core pieces I wanted and am mainly focusing on blades now. Running between cover and dicing people up is super fun.

Im using pistols, and The gunplay has gotten incredible as it levels up and spread and recoil get better. If they can fix the bugs, this game is a masterpiece. I hope the PS5/xSX versions are as close to possible as pc. 

and frankly, I had far more bugs in Valhalla, not that it was horrible.

And anyone remember Skyrim?

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Im using pistols, and The gunplay has gotten incredible as it levels up and spread and recoil get better. If they can fix the bugs, this game is a masterpiece. I hope the PS5/xSX versions are as close to possible as pc. 

and frankly, I had far more bugs in Valhalla, not that it was horrible.

And anyone remember Skyrim?

I actually haven't had any meaningful bugs on PC yet. It seems plausible to me that the pre-D1P copy reviewers played was much worse.

3 hours in and I've only had one bug where an NPC hit a car with his motorcycle and rather than there being a crash, the car just disappeared, leaving the driver hovering in the air for a few seconds before disappearing like his car! :lol: Nothing impacting the story though!   

• Haha 3