RUMOR: Sony to buy Bluepoint Games soon

SaysWho?

Preface: this comes from Reset, and rumors there have to go through the mods. The mods have talked with the user in question and the user has agreed to a ban if this doesn't materialize by the end of February 2021. However, that they're allowing this makes me think there might be something to it.

The rumor:

WWW.RESETERA.COM

I talked/teased on the forum about something I've heard from someone I know personally a few days ago. I also talked with Transistor about it. I'll be very upfront and say I wasn't able to verify...

I'll be very upfront and say I wasn't able to verify both of my "sources" to the team over at ERA. The reason I couldn't verify my second source is that the source wouldn't comply. I know that raises some alarms, but I have chosen to believe this particular source for multiple reasons.

According to my source that is familiar with the development team Bluepoint Games, they're finalizing a deal right now. It seems like Demon's Souls was kind of the "final test", and based on positive reactions, and the fact that Bluepoints work ethic has proven impressive once again Sony started acquisition-based talks with the studio.

The important parts of the deal are as follows

From Bluepoint's angle:

• They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don't want to be simply a "remake studio" (Even if they make more remakes)
  • While they value and love their independence, they also realize the industry is rapidly growing and evolving. They feel comfortable with their existing partnership with Sony and decided to sell to them.

From Sony's angle:

• Very impressed with the work-ethic from Bluepoint. Creates groundbreaking remakes, at a good pace.
  • They have a good relationship with other SIE studios, particularly Sony Japan Studios that they worked together with during both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. (Ape Escape fans, whatupppp) ((that wasn't an ape escape remake teaser, literally don't know anything about what they're doing after souls))
  • The expertise, skill, and tech that Bluepoint has for their remakes can be used for future projects not necessarily made by them. (In other words, if Team Asobi decides to create an Ape Escape Remake, they can go to Bluepoint for help)
  • The deal is being finalized and should be announced shortly, the time period I've been given is that it'll happen before February 28th. If it doesn't, it might not happen/be false information given to me. This means that you're free to discredit me as it most likely won't happen for one reason or another. (Feel free to do so earlier, if you feel like it) If for example Bluepoint or Sony declines this rumor, once again feel free to discredit me. I want to be crystal clear that I've gotten this piece of information from someone I trust, that I believe have a very good reason to know something like this.

I've talked with Transistor the last few days and agreed on the following:

If this doesn't happen before February 28th, they'll ban my account and I'll leave this site forever. IF THIS HAPPENS, PLEASE READ: I beg some of you to carry my Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 hopes up. I need to know that the hype train will never die! We'll one day get a Playstation crossover <3

Until the announcement, all I can say is: Enjoy next-gen everyone. I hope some of you get to play the new consoles, I can't wait until the 19th when it lands in Europe. Also feel free to send questions and I'll do my best to reply to them.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

They're largely a port/remaster studio.  I don't think they've made an original game in almost 15 years.  Why bother.  

Eh, they’ve shown with Demon Souls and SoC they have the artistic and tech chops.  It’s mainly game design and systems where they’re untested.

I’m playing through BP’s Uncharted 3 port right now, fun coincidence.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Gross!

Why?  It was a good port for back then.

First impressions suggest a well-managed conversion that has made intelligent trade-offs in miniaturising the PC and Xbox One versions onto the vintage 2005 Microsoft hardware, while retaining all the key features as well as the core of the gameplay experience.

...In summary, after a day with the Xbox 360 game, the big takeaway here is that this is Titanfall, and it does appear to be feature-complete on the older console. With just one tenth of the available RAM and far less capable silicon, it's safe to say that Bluepoint Games has more than exceeded expectations.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm sure it was a fine port. I didn't even know they made a 360 version but the thought of playing what's considered an Xbone game on 360 is gross. :p

There were a few surprisingly good back ports.

We'll get to see this kind of thing continue throughout the generation with the Series S. :p

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

They're largely a port/remaster studio.  I don't think they've made an original game in almost 15 years.  Why bother.  

Fixed.

(Technically, they also did some X360 ports too.)

From the OP:

From Bluepoint's angle:

They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don't want to be simply a "remake studio" (Even if they make more remakes)

From Sony's angle:

Very impressed with the work-ethic from Bluepoint. Creates groundbreaking remakes, at a good pace.
They have a good relationship with other SIE studios, particularly Sony Japan Studios that they worked together with during both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. (Ape Escape fans, whatupppp) ((that wasn't an ape escape remake teaser, literally don't know anything about what they're doing after souls))
The expertise, skill, and tech that Bluepoint has for their remakes can be used for future projects not necessarily made by them. (In other words, if Team Asobi decides to create an Ape Escape Remake, they can go to Bluepoint for help)

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

In before Microsoft swoops in and buys them, and then From Software, and then forces Bluepoint to remake Bloodborne exclusively for the Series X, with a weird Switch port a year later.

Wrong timeline.

Microsoft swoops in and buys them, and then From Software, then the Doom Eternal art director and every last employee that made everything neon and fucking stupid and then forces them to work for Bluepoint who are then forced to remake Bloodborne exclusively for Series X, with a weird Switch port a year later. Plot twist: both versions don't resolve the frame pacing and run somewhere between 27 FPS to 32 FPS.