Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

45 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I don't see Democratic voters caring about her other baggage compared to the others' baggage that will bother people (old, unauthentic, corporate shills). No one besides foreign policy nerds knows or cares about Hindu politics. 

Donors care. Watch her income stream. 

5 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I wonder what everyone here and all the candidates think of modern monetary theory. Cortez subscribes, but I’m not sure about any of the primary candidates. I think it’s bullshit. 

It's interesting but I'd rather, at this point, have a smaller country test it out first

Harris/Gillibrand would be nice. If you want more progressive legislation then focus on Congress; and frankly I think Harris' worst critics have it wrong when they say her being a zealous prosecutor is a liability. Our next president needs to go in unafraid to prosecute their immediate predecessor. Obama's refusal to allow prosecutions of Bush admin officials and financial industry players is part of why the right is re-ascendant; they never faced consequences for their actions, why should they act any different?

But I'm officially wait and see, the primary hasn't even finished starting. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, SaysWho? said:

Am I understanding this correctly; the $~76B in tax cuts are for people who rent to low income individuals? If so, she'd be my Ohio primary vote, and possible GE vote. I picked up a couple rental properties in the past six month, and Sec 8 will pay ~$1300 (which I currently get anyway) a month for four bedroom houses. While they aren't currently rented to low income people, I'd definitely be more willing for my next couple properties (or these if the people did not stay). 

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

Am I understanding this correctly; the $~76B in tax cuts are for people who rent to low income individuals? If so, she'd be my Ohio primary vote, and possible GE vote. I picked up a couple rental properties in the past six month, and Sec 8 will pay ~$1300 (which I currently get anyway) a month for four bedroom houses. While they aren't currently rented to low income people, I'd definitely be more willing for my next couple properties (or these if the people did stay). 

lol no, Kamala Harris is not proposing $76 billion in tax credits to upper-middle/upper class landowners. Get real.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That said, the landlords will make up the difference by increasing rent.

If you want lower rents, you need more rental units.

Yep; as 'Evicted' by Matthew Desmond proved, the landed gentry is lecherous. In a just world, they would see the razor, but some rent protections will suffice too.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Yep; as 'Evicted' by Matthew Desmond proved, the landed gentry is lecherous. In a just world, they would see the razor, but some rent protections will suffice too.

Not to get too far off topic, but this post make me wonder how much rent control, and similar tenant protection laws in NYC and SF (among others) had to do with high rent in these areas, when compared to a lack of supply of new housing (infact a decrease in housing stock!) because people in the 60s-90s were leaving cities en masse for a multitude of reasons (white flight, subsidized highways carved through city centers, etc)

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not to get too far off topic, but this post make me wonder how much rent control, and similar tenant protection laws in NYC and SF (among others) had to do with high rent in these areas, when compared to a lack of supply of new housing (infact a decrease in housing stock!) because people in the 60s-90s we're leaving cities en masse for a multitude of reasons (white flight, subsidized highways carved through city centers, etc)

I'm not savvy enough in urban planning to have any idea. But from my perspective, this is what needs to be done...

- Fully-fund housing vouchers (IIRC it would cost around $60 billion to dissolve the waiting list, which is doable);

- Tie the ability to deduct rental costs to the vouchers (i.e. if a landlord doesn't accept Section 8, they cannot deduct any costs associated with their properties; virtually guarantees that all landlords will start to accept Section 8);

- As you pointed out, build more housing...More affordable, more market-rate, more more more; and

- Rent protections tied to GDP (admittedly, someone like @Signifyin(g)Monkey will have a better understanding as to whether or not this is a good idea).

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I'm not savvy enough in urban planning to have any idea. But from my perspective, this is what needs to be done...

- Fully-fund housing vouchers (IIRC it would cost around $60 billion to dissolve the waiting list, which is doable);

- Tie the ability to deduct rental costs to the vouchers (i.e. if a landlord doesn't accept Section 8, they cannot deduct any costs associated with their properties; virtually guarantees that all landlords will start to accept Section 8);

- As you pointed out, build more housing...More affordable, more market-rate, more more more; and

- Rent protections tied to GDP (admittedly, someone like @Signifyin(g)Monkey will have a better understanding as to whether or not this is a good idea).

What do you mean by doesn't accept?

My rental properties are/ were on the Sec 8 listings, and I interviewed about 40 Sec 8 applicants, but found some better fits (husband, wife, small kids already in the school system) that didn't need Sec 8.

To me, that would classify accepting Sec 8, but that isn't that isn't the gist I'm getting from you (I could be totally wrong). In which case, you would be saying renting to = accepting, which would be totally unfair. 

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

What do you mean by doesn't accept?

My rental properties are/ were on the Sec 8 listings, and I interviewed about 40 Sec 8 applicants, but found some better fits (husband, wife, small kids already in the school system) that didn't need Sec 8.

To me, that would classify accepting Sec 8, but that isn't that isn't the gist I'm getting from you (I could be totally wrong). In which case, you would be saying renting to = accepting, which would be totally unfair. 

That's what 'accepting' means, so yes you have it wrong.  

1 minute ago, Commodore D said:

Ah, well that would definitely be unfair.

Accepting Sec 8 applicants would be the correct method. Not forcing someone to just take them to get some tax credits.  

What are you talking about? How have you made this so complicated? Accepting - able or willing to accept something or someone. A landlord who isn't receiving Section 8, but would if given the opportunity, accepts Section 8; you accept Section 8. A landlord who would deny that opportunity does not accept Section 8.

I seriously don't know how you could get so twisted over this.

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

What are you talking about? How have you made this so complicated? Accepting - able or willing to accept something or someone. A landlord who isn't receiving Section 8, but would if given the opportunity, accepts Section 8; you accept Section 8. A landlord who would deny that opportunity does not accept Section 8.

I seriously don't know how you could get so twisted over this.

AHHHHH, yes, total bungled that, was putting your comment with the accepting = renting to (as in collecting money from). Thank you for the detailed clarification, we are now on same page, and I am in agreement with you on all your points.