Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm still trying to figure out who people here actually want to win.

Probably 70/30 Sanders/Warren here if I had to make an actual guess. Maybe closer to 85/15. Maybe 5% are for another scrub.

Point remains, it's vastly more left than an average forum.

I wager very few would sit out if their preferred lost. 

11 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think Butti and Biden are rightfully criticized. This country can't afford to have another moderate Democrat as POTUS.

Well, Biden seems like the most likely outcome at this point, assuming he's able to beat Trump.

I really don't like Biden, but I want Trump out more. and I'm still mentally preparing myself for the outcome that he loses by even bigger margins, but eeks out an EC victory.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, Biden seems like the most likely outcome at this point, assuming he's able to beat Trump.

I really don't like Biden, but I want Trump out more. and I'm still mentally preparing myself for the outcome that he loses by even bigger margins, but eeks out an EC victory.

This is quite literally all of us :hug:

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't think that is likely to happen. Trump got super lucky in 2016 and if he wins in 2020, it will be more decisively. 

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You're the first person, here or otherwise, I've seen say something like that.

His victory was based on three states that had a combined margin of victory of less than 100k votes. He is probably not doing that again.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm well aware of how he won. But you're saying he's likely to win a majority of the popular vote and I don't see that happening.

No, I'm saying he's likely to win the popular vote should he win the election. The whole EC/PV split is unlikely to happen again. We are just biased because it has happened twice in 20 years.

Considering the turnouts for the midterms and the special elections, I have faith that Trump is losing this time if ANYONE other than Biden wins.

Biden has been Hillary’d so badly that the entire campaign is going to be Biden defending himself and Hunter over the Burisma stuff.

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't see any evidence for that and it seems few others do, as well.

Given that an EC/PV split historically has been extremely unlikely and that Trump is within the MoE on all GE polls with the Democratic field, he will likely win the popular vote should he win the nomination, especially considering how strong the economy is perceived to be right now.

Not in direct response to anything, but Trump is actually polling really well against all candidates right now, general election and battleground states alike. It's pretty depressing. 

But things can change! So let's hope for that.

We are SO fucked

When asked about the Obama administration's legacy on Silicon Valley regulation, Biden talks about meeting with leaders in Silicon Valley to discuss intellectual property rights, and describes interacting with an unspecified game developer as "one of the little creeps" who make games that "teach you how to kill people."

"And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——," said Biden.

The reporter interrupted Biden at this point to clarify he was talking about video games, to which he agrees. The senator went on to use the words "righteous" and "overwhelming arrogance" to further describe those working in tech at Silicon Valley.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

His victory was based on three states that had a combined margin of victory of less than 100k votes. He is probably not doing that again.

Of those three states he only needed one, Hillary needed all three, as will the democrat in 2020 unless it can be made up somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

It's not easy not being a social democrat here. You got to have some thick skin because Bernie a god.

Bernie's a social democrat anyway. Bernie is a "god" because that's what people made him into. He's more left than the dems, but he is no leftist. 

Honestly, any democrat in the field would be an improvement. But some would yield more tangible positive results than others. None of them are bringing a leftist government into power. 

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But it doesn’t really matter. We’re likely fucked in November. 

Here’s a different take that is slightly more positive. Trump will win this year, but we are not fucked long term as long as he doesn’t get us in a massive war. America will muddle through, and we will take on climate issues with intense urgency in 2024 and play catch up with everything else.  Republicans are nearly certain to reach the end of this business cycle by 2024 and they will be blamed for the downturn. 

One has to hope, because it does seem like Trump is going to win whether it is Bernie or Biden.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Here’s a different take that is slightly more positive. Trump will win this year, but we are not fucked long term as long as he doesn’t get us in a massive war. America will muddle through, and we will take on climate issues with intense urgency in 2024 and play catch up with everything else.  Republicans are nearly certain to reach the end of this business cycle by 2024 and they will be blamed for the downturn. 

One has to hope, because it does seem like Trump is going to win whether it is Bernie or Biden.  

And in 2024 we voting for AOC :feelsgood:

58 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Except he'll probably get at least one more supreme court justice and who knows how many appointments to the federal bench.  Break more precedents and engage in more open grift after he makes it out of impeachment alive.  Second term Trump is unshackled because he won't need to go for re-election and will have made it through a special counsel and an impeachment.

4 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Except he'll probably get at least one more supreme court justice and who knows how many appointments to the federal bench.  Break more precedents and engage in more open grift after he makes it out of impeachment alive.  Second term Trump is unshackled because he won't need to go for re-election and will have made it through a special counsel and an impeachment.

I'm aware he'll be unshackled, but I believe America will still come out the other side in one piece. We will be battered and wounded, but we won't be fucked.

Edit: I think that Trump already proved that he is TERRIBLE in so many ways, but we have survived 4 years of him. We will survive Trump 2.0. 

Edit 2: This doesn't mean I endorse Trump or his policies, or think what he's doing is okay. This is a difference between many people here being pessimists about the future while I am more optimistic about the long run. We have taken a dark detour for the time being, but I believe this will be short lived. Laugh it up and mock me, I don't really care. None of us know for sure what's coming. I think people will come around.

4 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

This. There's zero chance the democratic establishment wants to take on unpacking the courts, and everything from Medicare to the clean air act is on the chopping block