Jon Stewart will return in new Apple TV+ series—hour-long episodes will each tackle a current affairs issue.

Jason

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, if you got Apple TV+ for “free” because you bought an Apple product last year, they extended the free time until February.

I think if I get an Iphone 12 Pro MAX, this still applies to me right? I don't know about y'all, but I adore JS.

BTW, if you got Apple TV+ for “free” because you bought an Apple product last year, they extended the free time until February.

I got a free year... Probably about a year ago, but I have never looked at it. I probably should check out a few shows. But I am not paying for another service. 

8 hours ago, Joe said:

I think if I get an Iphone 12 Pro MAX, this still applies to me right? 

It was a promotion Apple did last year, I don’t know if they’re doing it again this year.

6 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I remember the night that Trump announced he was running for president and Jon Steward was literally in glee. Kinda weird that people still look up to him even though he helped to crate the atmosphere where entertainment and information are intertwined.

Literally every comedian, pundit, politician, and/or analyst laughed at it hysterically.

Literally every comedian, pundit, politician, and/or analyst laughed at it hysterically.

All those on TV, at at least. So what you’re saying is that Jon Stewart is no different than the media climate he pretends to be separate from? Cool, because that’s what I’m arguing too. I don’t understand why so many of you guys look up to him as a hero or a voice of reason.

• Guillotine 1

24 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

All those on TV, at at least. So what you’re saying is that Jon Stewart is no different than the media climate he pretends to be separate from? Cool, because that’s what I’m arguing too. I don’t understand why so many of you guys look up to him as a hero or a voice of reason.

The current political climate wasn’t created by comedians.

You can't blame John Stewart for any of this. I was also very amused by Trump at first. No one thought he could win anything. He was a total clown. It was a total shitshow and it made the Republican Party look like a bunch of idiots so it was funny. At the time, it was indeed funny.

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The current political climate wasn’t created by comedians.

I never placed the sole blame on comedians.

You really should read Amusing Ourselves to Death. Neil Postman predicted in 1980 we’d have a celebrity president some day. It’s about our de-evolution of discourse, and how television has only made it worse. The mixture of news and entertainment is a dangerous thing. 24 hours news shifted into being a form of entertainment. And John Stewart made millions of dollars off by creating a funny news shows that benefits from the circus of national politics. This is why him and his crew were literally celebrating when Trump announced his candidacy. More lunacy in the news is good business for him. He didn’t think twice on whether this could do irreparable harm to us because his doesn’t have the insight or foresight to see natural conclusion of this dumpster fire that he was fanning.

• Guillotine 2

5 hours ago, ort said:

You can't blame John Stewart for any of this. I was also very amused by Trump at first. No one thought he could win anything. He was a total clown. It was a total shitshow and it made the Republican Party look like a bunch of idiots so it was funny. At the time, it was indeed funny.

Politics shouldn’t be funny. We shouldn’t be looking to the news for entertainment. By treating this as a reality show, a lot of us are complicit in some way. I thought it was funny at first (it was literally only funny for a day or two before he made his first press conference), but from the get go I always thought he had a decent chance in winning. He was destined to win because our politics has turned into how you can present yourself on TV, and Trump by far played better on television than any other candidate that year.

• Guillotine 1

Why can't it be funny? Politics is funny. If you can't find humor in the ridiculousness of it all, then I don't know what to say.

Humor is a human coping mechanism. I've always thought Jon Stewart did a great job of being both informative and funny. I remember back in the day they did some sort of political knowledge survey or study and watchers of the Daily Show had better knowledge of current events than most regular news watchers.

Jon Stewart was a comedian first but he was also a great communicator who could cut through the crap like few in the news could. Jon Stewart was one of the leading voices speaking out against Bush during his time. No one has been able to recreate his magic. I don't think any of the copycat shows that sprung up in his absence even come close to what he was able to do.

39 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Neil Postman predicted in 1980 we’d have a celebrity president some day.

So he predicted we'd someday have a celebrity president the same year our first celebrity president was elected!

I do have a feeling that we're moving toward a reality where celebrities do run for office and it's very common.

I was trying to come up with what or who the left wing version of a Donald Trump would be and I decided it would be someone like Sean Penn.

Donald Trump is a genius because he cracked the code. He figured out that politics really is indistinguishable from reality television. It's all the same thing.

• Thanks 1

Politics is significantly less funny to those most negatively affected by its outcomes. Straight white middle class hockey dad is a pretty safe demo in America, Ort.

1 hour ago, ort said:

So he predicted we'd someday have a celebrity president the same year our first celebrity president was elected!

I do have a feeling that we're moving toward a reality where celebrities do run for office and it's very common.

I was trying to come up with what or who the left wing version of a Donald Trump would be and I decided it would be someone like Sean Penn.

Donald Trump is a genius because he cracked the code. He figured out that politics really is indistinguishable from reality television. It's all the same thing.

Reagan ran as a politician, not a celebrity. Reagan could point to his track record as governor when he ran. Trump literally said he was a qualified leader because of his high television ratings. The notion of a someone using their celebrity status to bypass lower levels of civil service and jumping  straight into the presidency was unthinkable in 1980. Hell, it was even seen as unthinkable in 2015.

29 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Reagan ran as a politician, not a celebrity. Reagan could point to his track record as governor when he ran. Trump literally said he was a qualified leader because of his high television ratings. The notion of a someone using their celebrity status to bypass lower levels of civil service and jumping  straight into the presidency was unthinkable in 1980. Hell, it was even seen as unthinkable in 2015.

Still a big leap to jump straight from acting to being a governor, though. That was basically the argument against Cynthia Nixon in New York.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:43 PM, sexy_shapiro said:

Politics shouldn’t be funny. We shouldn’t be looking to the news for entertainment. By treating this as a reality show, a lot of us are complicit in some way. I thought it was funny at first (it was literally only funny for a day or two before he made his first press conference), but from the get go I always thought he had a decent chance in winning. He was destined to win because our politics has turned into how you can present yourself on TV, and Trump by far played better on television than any other candidate that year.

Politics shouldn’t be funny? Political comedy is as old as politics. Comedians will never stop talking about whats funny. Im pretty thankful for that. Laughter is what gets people through it.

I hate the idea that anything should not be joked about. Censoring speech helps nobody.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:47 PM, sblfilms said:

Politics is significantly less funny to those most negatively affected by its outcomes. Straight white middle class hockey dad is a pretty safe demo in America, Ort.

This is a super complicated topic I have a lot of thoughts on, but not even time or mental energy to get on about now.

I don't disagree with you and yes, as a straight white suburban male I do indeed live in a different version of America. I can both be aware of that and still have opinions on things. Sometimes we're too eager to dismiss people because of silly things. Not saying you're dismissing me, but the last thing people want to hear, even if it's sometimes perfectly reasonable... is that they are speaking from a position of privilege, and therefore their opinions matter less. That said, sometimes it is very true.

I always do my best to listen and learn and try and take it all in.

I don’t think Jon Stewart or his run on TDS are responsible for contributing to the current political climate in any meaningful way; it was far too reactionary for that. That kinda reads like I’m damning him with faint praise, but I don’t mean it that way.

I DO think there’s a line you can draw from the kind of criticism that Stewart’s run on TDS brought to the table and what often passes for criticism of politicians more broadly today. There’s a lot of shit like, “look at what Rubio said in 2020 compared to what he said in 2016,” that was Stewart’s bread and butter. It’s not his fault he was emulated of course but I don’t think we’d be seeing as much of it as we are now if he didn’t make it a thing. So much of what I see on twitter and facebook comes off like a less polished video that TDS would’ve played during Stewart’s tenure.

I think (for the most part), any clear progressive enjoying Trump early on in his election run in 2016 or enjoying the craziness of at all truly didn't believe the American people were capable of actually electing such a person President.

Ultimately, the joke is on Jon Stewart. You should feel bad for him. All his efforts for 20 years of political progression undone by an assumption the American people were better than they actually are.

But sure, let's indict him over enjoying Trump's 2016 implosion. LOL. 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think (for the most part), any clear progressive enjoying Trump early on in his election run in 2016 or enjoying the craziness of at all truly didn't believe the American people were capable of actually electing such a person President.

Ultimately, the joke is on Jon Stewart. You should feel bad for him. All his efforts for 20 years of political progression undone by an assumption the American people were better than they actually are.

But sure, let's indict him over enjoying Trump's 2016 implosion. LOL. 

Welcome back! :hug: