Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

It's not THAT overwhelming. Just focus on the main quest lol. 

I love how when you talk to characters it’s fast and to the point. Maybe 2 or 3 choices to pick. Not like Mass Effect where conversations would go on and on. The quest are all reasonable time wise. Things keep moving and I love that type game loop. 

• True 1

yeah I realized early on this wasn’t going to be a race through the main quests game to me like I did with Forspoken. What makes this one captivating to do side missions isn’t so much for story like something like Witcher 3, it’s for exploring these super rich detailed environments. That and yeah the balance of different mechanics and activities makes it really fun to just roam.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ll also spend like 10 minutes looking at the detail in a single room so my play time will be a bit high!

Yup, half the game for me is the extensive detail absolutely everywhere indoors.

Anyway, today's patch massively reduced the traversal stuttering I was experiencing. It would run super smooth but stutter at times when I moved around the world, some places was a barely perceptible blip while others were pretty chunky. The barely perceptible ones seem completely gone while the chunky ones seem to be about 80% or so (just spitballing here) less intense. Would like to see them gone entirely but for a first patch, not bad! Also I last saved after finally selling my gear at a shop and going to collect unopened treasure chests. I couldn't collect them because the game already counted them as open, so I told myself I'd just save there and play again whenever a patch dropped as it'd likely be fixed.

And whaddaya know! It's fixed. Turned the game on and I could open all those chests again. Didn't even see that in the changelog.

Looking at the Steam forums, a lot of people seem to be having dramatically worse stuttering, which, while it's possibly down to the patch borking it for some folks, I wonder if it's because their shaders didn't recompile? Uncompiled shaders is going to be stutter-city.

• Halal 1

I made my character and got to the part where you learn how to use the map to get to your first two quests/classes last night before I got unexpectedly busy. The game is surprisingly polished, and genuinely fun. Looking forward to putting a couple hours in tonight

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I hit 1:35:67 yesterday with no upgrades and hit a few yellow boosts, so it maybe possible, but it'd have to be absolutely perfect.  I got 1 upgrade and will try again now.

1:32:02 first try with 1 upgrade, and I missed 1 ring, so def much easier with the upgrade.

Did you get it from the broom guy in Hogsmeade? 

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This patch isn't a huge DL -- however it patches 35GB of files.  Under a minute to install the patch on my PC, but about 10 minutes on the Steam Deck.

Edit:  It's been updating for almost 15 minutes now....  Still not done.

This shit kills me, I have unlimited internet with no cap so I wish I could set it to just redownload if it has to patch 10gb or more or something.

Thanks for the heads up tho gonna start my patches now before I’m off work.

I finished the game early this morning (I was determined to finish it before I had to go back to work, it was the last week of my semi-staycation)

Steam says I played the game for 68.9 hours, but my game file itself only says about 53. 

I didn't 100% the game, for 2 reasons: 1) getting all of the index pages would take foreeeever, not least because it means you have to do all those stupid moth/mirror puzzles in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.  and 2), in the late game areas, the treasure vaults were buggy as hell

I did get all demiguise statues, completed all merlin trials, did every sidequest, etc.

What surprised me is that even after all that, my character was still only level 38. It seems like the leveling up massively slowed down.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I finished the game early this morning (I was determined to finish it before I had to go back to work, it was the last week of my semi-staycation)

Steam says I played the game for 68.9 hours, but my game file itself only says about 53. 

I didn't 100% the game, for 2 reasons: 1) getting all of the index pages would take foreeeever, not least because it means you have to do all those stupid moth/mirror puzzles in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.  and 2), in the late game areas, the treasure vaults were buggy as hell

I did get all demiguise statues, completed all merlin trials, did every sidequest, etc.

What surprised me is that even after all that, my character was still only level 38. It seems like the leveling up massively slowed down.

Overall how would you rate it?

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Overall how would you rate it?

9.5/10

My biggest knock - I wish player choice actually mattered. There's only one choice you make in the game that has any kind of consequence, and it's on a sidequest.  Outside of that, other than a line of dialogue here or there, your choices don't mean anything. That being said, there is a part of me that thinks the only reason I have a problem with that is because I WANTED a reason to go back and play the game again. As it is, there really isn't one except to play in a different house, which like pretty much means you get to see the insides of the other common rooms (I may replay just the beginning for that reason)

And a minor gripe is I still think the flying controls are kind of stupid (why can't you LOOK DOWN?!)

Those are really the only negative things I can say about the game, though - and I recognize the first one is completely a creative choice, so I don't hold it against the game too much. Everything else was phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

9.5/10

My biggest knock - I wish player choice actually mattered. There's only one choice you make in the game that has any kind of consequence, and it's on a sidequest.  Outside of that, other than a line of dialogue here or there, your choices don't mean anything. That being said, there is a part of me that thinks the only reason I have a problem with that is because I WANTED a reason to go back and play the game again. As it is, there really isn't one except to play in a different house, which like pretty much means you get to see the insides of the other common rooms (I may replay just the beginning for that reason)

And a minor gripe is I still think the flying controls are kind of stupid (why can't you LOOK DOWN?!)

Those are really the only negative things I can say about the game, though - and I recognize the first one is completely a creative choice, so I don't hold it against the game too much. Everything else was phenomenal.

Kinda where I’m at! I would like some consequence though I’m just letting myself enjoy the breeziness of my choices not really mattering since that’s what I have to work with. But I think it would be interesting and essentially a full on Bioware but still good game then.

Flying controls are weird but were much better once I inverted!

I didn’t notice any improvement or worsening from the patch. Seems exactly the same. Still some stuttery areas with traversal usually in places with doors. I assume this is some IO/streaming/cpu/ram type or thing but not sure what exactly. If I were to hazard a guess I have a feeling that even more than a better cpu, an upgrade to ddr5 would alleviate this issue that I’ve seen pop up in other current stuff like Forspoken. Purely a guess. 

It also doesn’t help that I’m cpu bound here and I’m pushing extra high ray tracing settings beyond what’s shipped in the game. Game runs like butter overall though so I definitely am not turning that down because 100% reflections are so nice.

It just reminds me a lot of how Assassins Creed games would behave until I upgraded to faster ddr4 ram a few years ago. This kind of stutter where the actual frame rate just tanks a lot as you move quickly and if you stop then the frame rate will jump up, like it’s struggling to stream the data fast enough. 

I think pre 12 series intel setups/amd equivalents are just kinda not suited for high end current gen. I think a combo of a faster cpu, ddr5 ram, and pcie4 nvme’s are going to be what new games are looking for and that by next year it will actually be a problem if you haven’t updated, dlss3 or not. This is based on feels.

• Halal 1

@Biggie I took your advice and stepee's and litteraly collected a ton of side quests, made some potions, took care of my animals, did more decorating, leveled up my gear with the loom, and explored the Hogwarts castle (which is stunningly detailed with so many secrets). 

This game is simply incredible because that took me 3 hours to accomplish. The world is absolutely beautiful! This game is slowly sneaking up on my all time list. I'm only halfway through so ya never no. Could end terribly etc. :p

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Kinda where I’m at! I would like some consequence though I’m just letting myself enjoy the breeziness of my choices not really mattering since that’s what I have to work with. But I think it would be interesting and essentially a full on Bioware but still good game then.

Flying controls are weird but were much better once I inverted!

I realized flying controls would work better inverted, but not until I had already beat all the trials, so I was like whatever, I'll just deal with it.

Even still, the flying control layout makes no sense. Like you can't move the camera up or down and the vertical axis of the left stick doesn't do anything. Not exactly the way I would have designed it.

• True 1

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I realized flying controls would work better inverted, but not until I had already beat all the trials, so I was like whatever, I'll just deal with it.

Even still, the flying control layout makes no sense. Like you can't move the camera up or down and the vertical axis of the left stick doesn't do anything. Not exactly the way I would have designed it.

This is why Quidditch would be terrible in this game.  They just didn’t put the time into broom flight that making it fun would require. It was honestly a good choice not to put it in. 

In the books, Sirius Black refers to Phineas Nigellus Black (headmaster in this game) as the least liked headmaster in Hogwarts history. Maybe he’s shitty in other ways in the game (I haven’t seen much of him) but now I like to think it’s just because he cancelled Quidditch for a year. :lol: