The Times got more than two decades worth of Trump's tax returns.

Jason

33 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Deutsche Bank is absolutely trapped in a "vicious" cycle with its loans to him:  if they don't lend him more money, then he will definitely default on their currently outstanding loans to him so they would rather lend him the money to at least keep the interest payments flowing in which increases the risk that he will default on their loans to him, etc.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is that illegal? 

3 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The "consulting fees" paid to Ivanka due certainly have the scintilla of an attempt to circumvent $15,000 annual exclusion for paying the gift tax.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wade’s post and your tweet are saying different things. He is saying the consulting fees could be an end run around a particular limit, while you said there a solid claims of illegal activity with regard to the consulting fees. I was asking what these solid claims are and you back it up with something that isn’t a claim at all.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If it's not illegal what's the fucking point of the laws just lol

I’m asking whether it is actually illegal to pay a family member’s business for a service of that business. I’m not a CPA or tax lawyer.

It MAY be an illegal attempt to circumvent the gift tax exclusion limit...or it may not.  It's certainly not an arm's-length transaction which should immediately open it for scrutiny. 

There would have to be a substance test to determine (a) if she was being paid for actual work performed and then (b) if the substance of that work merited that level of payout.

It almost looks worse if it isn't illegal. If this isn't going to drill it into the heads of all of the Trump supporting fuckbrianed idiot moron dumbshits that there is currently two sets of rules for Americans... one's for the ruling class and ones for everyone else... than nothing will.

NOTHING WILL.

It happened during impeachment and last holiday season, but my wife didn't even know the Donald J. Trump Foundation was forced to dissolve by order of the NY AG because it was found to be a racket for Trump to pay personal legal debts and buy artwork of himself.

And she's rather politically fluent. I doubt most Americans even know, or recall.

I think this is all part of the Dems plans. I bet they have at least 3 more big "October surprises" waiting in the wings. There has to be so much dirt on this man and every journalist in the country is gunning for him since he's fucking pissed all over them for the last 4 years.

I bet they are going to throw a bunch of shit at him during this Supreme Court nomination circus to try and do anything to delegitimize the whole thing. And they should.

3 minutes ago, ort said:

There has to be so much dirt on this man and every journalist in the country is gunning for him since he's fucking pissed all over them for the last 4 years.

I don’t want journalists reporting things simply due to personal grudges. They should report things that are in the public interest for the sake of the public.

I haven't seen any real allegations of criminal activity, but from what I can tell the IRS started auditing Trump a decade ago, and I'd imagine that they'd be the ones to find issues with his taxes, right?

I think there's a real chance this story does matter to some degree. Sure, much of the Trump cult can't be swayed, but this story reminds me of the Ukraine call in that it has a very simple lead: your billionaire President pays less federal income tax than you do. The technicalities about consulting fees or avoidance vs evasion or whatever else don't matter nearly as much as the instinctual reaction that it feels wrong. There was a good deal of that reaction to Mitt Romney's taxes, and he was paying millions, it just added up to a smaller percent of his income than most people pay. Here, there's no ambiguity or math to do. You don't need to pull out your own tax documents and figure out what percent you pay for comparison. If you pay federal income tax, you almost certainly paid more than president moneybags, living that ridiculous luxury lifestyle that he's spent decades making his brand.

I'm not expecting huge swings in voter opinion, if a disastrous hurricane response, putting kids in cages, impeachment, a bungled pandemic, and everything else can't move his approval rating more than a point or two, this probably won't either. Still, I think there are a lot of Trump voters that keep finding reasons to not like him, and this will probably register.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t want journalists reporting things simply due to personal grudges. They should report things that are in the public interest for the sake of the public.

They can do both. Every rational thinking person should have a FUCKING GRUDGE against Donald Trump.

These are not normal times. This is not a normal person doing normal things. Everything is fucked and this is fucking war and every rationally thinking person in the country needs to be united in doing everything they can to stop this literal monster and send his army of fools back to the fucking holes they crawled out of.

17 minutes ago, ort said:

I think this is all part of the Dems plans. I bet they have at least 3 more big "October surprises" waiting in the wings. There has to be so much dirt on this man and every journalist in the country is gunning for him since he's fucking pissed all over them for the last 4 years.

I bet they are going to throw a bunch of shit at him during this Supreme Court nomination circus to try and do anything to delegitimize the whole thing. And they should.

Maybe this is another one of their "October surprises (in September)?"

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I haven't seen any real allegations of criminal activity, but from what I can tell the IRS started auditing Trump a decade ago, and I'd imagine that they'd be the ones to find issues with his taxes, right?

I think there's a real chance this story does matter to some degree. Sure, much of the Trump cult can't be swayed, but this story reminds me of the Ukraine call in that it has a very simple lead: your billionaire President pays less federal income tax than you do. The technicalities about consulting fees or avoidance vs evasion or whatever else don't matter nearly as much as the instinctual reaction that it feels wrong. There was a good deal of that reaction to Mitt Romney's taxes, and he was paying millions, it just added up to a smaller percent of his income than most people pay. Here, there's no ambiguity or math to do. You don't need to pull out your own tax documents and figure out what percent you pay for comparison. If you pay federal income tax, you almost certainly paid more than president moneybags, living that ridiculous luxury lifestyle that he's spent decades making his brand.

I'm not expecting huge swings in voter opinion, if a disastrous hurricane response, putting kids in cages, impeachment, a bungled pandemic, and everything else can't move his approval rating more than a point or two, this probably won't either. Still, I think there are a lot of Trump voters that keep finding reasons to not like him, and this will probably register.

Dems should be talking up his massive debt in addition to the taxes. A lot of people, particularly the "sensible" "moderate" types from the midwest, see personal debt as a moral failure. There's still undecided voters who can be won. This also goes against the narrative that he's a good businessman!

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dems should be talking up his massive debt in addition to the taxes. A lot of people, particularly the "sensible" "moderate" types from the midwest, see personal debt as a moral failure. There's still undecided voters who can be won. This also goes against the narrative that he's a good businessman!

"Personal debt" is the moral failure, not debt incurred for business operations.

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

"Personal debt" is the moral failure, not debt incurred for business operations.

<3 business debt.

Maybe not as much as Trump seems to though

Business debt is good if it allows you to do stuff now that will let you pay off the debt later (as well as make money above and beyond). Business debt is bad if you are just taking it over and over to pay today's bills without any plan to increase revenue tomorrow. It appears Trump is in that second category, anyway, mainly because Deutsche Bank are a bunch of ultramaroons.

6 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Whole lotta people aren't too concerned if it's one or the other, or can tell the difference between business and personal debt. Just call it Trump's debt and let the insinuations work for themselves