"Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

CitizenVectron

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

You weren't just curious; you brought up Sony ones. You don't even have to as there's a big difference between Ninja Theory and Bethesda.

Independent developers go to publishers to get funding for a game. Fewer publishers means fewer options. There are countless numbers of independent developers trying to make a name for themselves (which can also lead to a glut of games, which is a separate issue); there are not limitless publishers.

I brought up Sony because your the Forums Sony guy. Sorry for asking.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The Platinum deal, from what I read, ended up being a pretty mutual disagreement.  Supposedly they were using Microsoft's funding on other projects, as they were juggling quite a few projects at the time.  That would piss off any Publisher to find out the money you're throwing at a project maybe isn't actually going to that project when that project isn't meeting deadlines or target goals.

Microsoft does now own Tango Gameworks.

Didn't Gearbox do something very similar and get sued for it?

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Then yeah, that's very on the fringe.  These reasons are all more commonly referenced.

untitled-a05c7.jpg
WWW.GAMESKINNY.COM

Find out why one of the most anticipated Xbox One exclusives got cancelled by Microsoft.

Yeah I go to Game Skinny for my gaming news too.

• Haha 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Not really, unless you think this is the only one or other smaller publishers are going to explode soon.

It's no secret that the mid-tier publisher space has shrunk.  But we've got enough AAA and indie publishers both for me not to have fears about a diversity of game funding.  The industry is probably too bloated right now, if anything.

6 minutes ago, The def star said:

Damn dude chill. Sony, Google and Amazon have been making moves. I doubt anything I say or do will affect anything they or you do. I'm just having discussions here with everyone else.

There was nothing angry about the post; I just know that you don't have this same feeling toward other industries. I'm never surprised to see a conservative go nuts about a big  acquisition from someone like Disney. When someone on the left does it, I can usually assume it's video game related (but Disney has shown me that it's not exclusive to the video game industry).

We actually should touch on Insomniac: the fact that Insomniac's under Sony's belt isn't concerning by itself as they've been very successful with Sony and they're, again, a developer. But the larger story is that there's a good chance Insomniac didn't feel they could actually keep their independence in this climate, and that's more a problem than where they went. My guess is Ninja Theory thought the same thing despite wanting to make an "indie AAA" game in Hellblade, which was followed by an acquisition. NT being with MS isn't concerning; the idea that they couldn't survive independently is. Fewer publishers doesn't help that.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fewer billioinaire publishers like

Following your logic to the end, if it's only MS out there, that's a good thing for you, right?

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

It's no secret that the mid-tier publisher space has shrunk.  But we've got enough AAA and indie publishers both for me not to have fears about a diversity of game funding.  The industry is probably too bloated right now, if anything.

I commend you for not having fears. It's a misplaced feeling, but I commend the optimism that major consolidation similar to the movies industry isn't a real possibility.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I commend you for not having fears. It's a misplaced feeling, but I commend the optimism that major consolidation similar to the movies industry isn't a real possibility.

I don't think there's enough money willing to be spent on it.  This Zenimax deal was a gargantuan heap of cash, and they're still far from the most desirable.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

WB was trying to get out of the publisher space, so...

And they couldn't find a cash deal to match, so they stayed in.  Which is to my point.  Cards won't fall so easily.

Just now, TomCat said:

Ms if they are for sell duuuuuuuuuuh

I don't know where you've been the past few months, but they were one of the bidders when they were for sale.  No deal transpired.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

And they couldn't find a cash deal to match, so they stayed in.  Which is to my point.  Cards won't fall so easily.

I can only hope you're right, but I'm nearly certain you're not.

1 minute ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Even at $25 a month it would be a great value.

Fortunately you're already there right now!

1 minute ago, ARZ said:

We are? GamePass didn't go up to 25 last I checked...5 minutes ago

For the new consoles:

XboxSeriesXandS_HERO.jpg?fit=1920%2C1080
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Now more than ever, gaming plays an important role in our lives. As one of the greatest forms of creative expression, gaming sparks in our imagination and connects us to new worlds, stories, and our friends. On November 10, a new generation of console gaming begins. That’s when our vision becomes reality with the most […]

Didn't really read it but I don't know what the PC price will be.