"Officially Welcoming Bethesda to Team Xbox"

CitizenVectron

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

I think Series S will be fine. Won't look as pretty as the X but will be able to play all the games but I guess we just have to wait and see.

I think within 2-4 years we'll see games with some significant performance blows.  But I also don't think it'll be holding much back.  It'll never be the baseline target for AAA.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I think within 2-4 years we'll see games with some significant performance blows.  But I also don't think it'll be holding much back.  It'll never be the baseline target, IMO.

MS has been going around telling devs to develop games for the Series X and just scale down. Hopefully that is what they will do.

35 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Imagine if this was an E3 moment on stage.  Gotta feel for them not being able to have that Live reaction on stage.

I definitely don’t feel for these people make tons of money. This would have been an AWESOME moment for some fans though. And the people who are pissed would be even more pissed lol. 

19 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

My guess is Microsoft wants badly to acquire Japanese Studios to bolster their Worldwide efforts, as the Xbox brand is all but dead outside the US.

So my guess is Sony for sure is probably trying to make deals, but Microsoft probably is as well.

I don't see it, not after Platinum got burned.  Zenimax feels like Microsoft's decided to lean all in on the Western side.  As they probably should for now.

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

I definitely don’t feel for these people make tons of money. This would have been an AWESOME moment for some fans though. And the people who are pissed would be even more pissed lol. 

I think if you don't have a conservative outlook on industry/economy, then this kind of huge consolidation involving a publisher should be upsetting. If we start seeing this on a wider level from Sony/Google, the industry is going to look a lot messier.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't see it, not after Platinum got burned.  Zenimax feels like Microsoft's decided to lean all in on the Western side.  As they probably should for now.

I think a more discipline Japanese developer like a From Software or Capcom could work but I agree it’s unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think if you don't have a conservative outlook on industry/economy, then this kind of huge consolidation involving a publisher should be upsetting. If we start seeing this on a wider level from Sony/Google, the industry is going to look a lot messier.

How is this much different than when Sony bought Insomniac and Naughty Dog? With MS at least they will keep putting their games out on PC and even Switch sometimes.

The Platinum deal, from what I read, ended up being a pretty mutual disagreement.  Supposedly they were using Microsoft's funding on other projects, as they were juggling quite a few projects at the time.  That would piss off any Publisher to find out the money you're throwing at a project maybe isn't actually going to that project when that project isn't meeting deadlines or target goals.

Microsoft does now own Tango Gameworks.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'd be more bothered with it if it wasn't a platform holder doing it.

Just now, The def star said:

How is this much different than when Sony bough Insomniac and Naughty Dog? With MS at least they will keep putting their games out on PC and even Switch sometimes.

The keyword is publisher. Studios go to publishers to pitch games they'd like to see funded. There's one less publisher to do that. Buying Ninja Theory is a lot different than buying Take-Two or Sega.

Previously, MS's acquisitions were mostly smaller and struggling studios that now had a second life. I've seen you post enough that your view of this kind of stuff is not cheerleading this level of consolidation.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The Platinum deal, from what I read, ended up being a pretty mutual disagreement.  Supposedly they were using Microsoft's funding on other projects, as they were juggling quite a few projects at the time.  That would piss off any Publisher to find out the money you're throwing at a project maybe isn't actually going to that project when that project isn't meeting deadlines or target goals.

First I've heard of that.  Is there a legitimate source?

I don't think Microsoft can simply buy its way into the Japanese market.  They've tried before.  But perhaps there is more potential now that the PC market for Japanese games has boomed.

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

At the first all-hands meeting:

Obsidian to Bethesda: "Soooo...remember that time when we didn't get a bonus payment from you guys beacuse we missed the Metacritic score by 1 point?"

Beth: Take it up with the Big Man :dab2: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't think Microsoft can simply buy its way into the Japanese market.  They've tried before.  But perhaps there is more possibility now that the PC market for Japanese games has boomed.

It is widely known  how you miss that. Mister I know everything 

• Shocked 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

The keyword is publisher. Studios go to publishers to pitch games they'd like to see funded. There's one less publisher to do that. Buying Ninja Theory is a lot different than buying Take-Two or Sega.

Previously, MS's acquisitions were mostly smaller and struggling studios that now had a second life. I've seen you post enough that your view of this kind of stuff is not cheerleading this level of consolidation.

I was just curious what the difference is in your eyes. Big companies buying other companies regardless if they are publishers is the same to me. 

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't think Microsoft can simply buy its way into the Japanese market.  They've tried before.  But perhaps there is more possibility now that the PC market for Japanese games has boomed.

Years ago some insiders hinted at it, but of course would never be corroborated by anyone at Platinum or Microsoft.  So no one will ever know for sure most likely.

8 minutes ago, The def star said:

I was just curious what the difference is in your eyes. Big companies buying other companies regardless if they are publishers is the same to me. 

You weren't just curious; you brought up Sony ones. You don't even have to as there's a big difference between Ninja Theory and Bethesda.

Independent developers go to publishers to get funding for a game. Fewer publishers means fewer options. There are countless numbers of independent developers trying to make a name for themselves (which can also lead to a glut of games, which is a separate issue); there are not limitless publishers.

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Plenty of fish in the sea.

Not really, unless you think this is the only one or other smaller publishers are going to explode soon.

6 minutes ago, The def star said:

For the longest time Bethesda was not a publisher. Oblivion was published by 2K games. 

And now they're suddenly not. Perhaps because you own an Xbox, there's this myopic feeling that it's a good thing that a publisher's gone. I'll be sure to follow your logic for any moves from Google, Amazon, or Sony.

• Guillotine 1

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Years ago some insiders hinted at it, but of course would never be corroborated by anyone at Platinum or Microsoft.  So no one will ever know for sure most likely.

Then yeah, that's very on the fringe.  These reasons are all more commonly referenced.

untitled-a05c7.jpg
WWW.GAMESKINNY.COM

Find out why one of the most anticipated Xbox One exclusives got cancelled by Microsoft.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

And now they're suddenly not. Perhaps because you own an Xbox, there's this myopic feeling that it's a good thing that a publisher's gone. I'll be sure to follow your logic for any moves Google, Amazon, or Sony.

Damn dude chill. Sony, Google and Amazon have been making moves. I doubt anything I say or do will affect anything they or you do. I'm just having discussions here with everyone else.