Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

45 minutes ago, Biggie said:

It’s really good.

How much did you play after the demo section?

I'm team quality mode for this game. Performance mode messes with my eyes and brain. Yes, the motion blur is pretty bad I agree. 

58 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How much did you play after the demo section?

I'm team quality mode for this game. Performance mode messes with my eyes and brain. Yes, the motion blur is pretty bad I agree. 

Two hours last night and one this morning. Frame rate mode is fine with me. 

The best part about easter eggs is finding them yourself.

Doesn't really matter how early it is in the game either.  /shrug

Ended up switching to Frame rate mode around the time I got to the Eikonic Challenge bit. Gonna stick with it. Not sure, exactly how cutscenes work, but I feel like they look worse in frame rate mode but I'm not entirely sure about that. If that is the case, I wish the cutscenes would boost up to graphics mode. They might already do that and it's all in my head.

I had been worried about one thing regarding Clive ever since the demo. Luckily, what I was worried about wasn't true.

Spoiler

I thought maybe, somehow, SE was gonna pull some fast one on us and that Clive somehow wasn't Ifrit. Like, his body was getting taken over or something. Glad that ends up being not like that.

No major spoilers but I'm gong to spoiler tag some stuff going on in my mind about what I have played.

Spoiler
  • Bummed that we didn't get any young Clive as a slave. Wanted Clive's freedom to feel more important. Kinda just glossed over a bunch of shit.
  • Kinda lame how you get the dog back. It was just, k here's your dog that is old as fuck in dog years. Here's your dog back that was never renamed in 13 years and it still defers to you despite being a puppy the last time you saw it.
  • Didn't get as far as I wanted to. Started from scratch, spent a lot of time trying to get a feel on the magic burst combo, tried using the god awful a type controls.
  • Pretty sure I stopped right before the game "opens up".
  • Didn't expect the forest to be so linear. Didn't hate it.
  • The first eikon fight was mostly just a cinematic but not nearly as hands off as the Phoenix one. I enjoyed it for what it is.
  • Story remains strong and still majorly cutscene heavy. Voice acting also remains strong and good.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How is the english voice acting?  Does the game have an option to play in Japanese with subtitles? Can you switch back and forth?

The game was made in English. You can use Japanese, bht the dub doesn’t line up.

the English va is incredible.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I’m only a few hours past the demo, but this story has me HOOKED. 

I do admit I would have preferred turn based combat, but I’m still having a blast and I understand why they did it. 

The story is legit good

• Hype 2

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How is the english voice acting?  Does the game have an option to play in Japanese with subtitles? Can you switch back and forth?

I typically switch to Japanese by default on SE games because the English VA is usually so f’n bad. I tried out the English audio mid-way through the demo and it’s legit great: I’ll be playing this in English.

• Halal 1

I skipped the demo so today is my first look at the game.  So far so good. 

I'm assuming jumping/air attacks become enhanced/better later because right now I don't see the point.  Even after buying the double jump ability I can only get one attack off in the air if I'm lucky.  I remember zipping around mid-air like a maniac in XV.

7 minutes ago, Slug said:

I skipped the demo so today is my first look at the game.  So far so good. 

I'm assuming jumping/air attacks become enhanced/better later because right now I don't see the point.  Even after buying the double jump ability I can only get one attack off in the air if I'm lucky.  I remember zipping around mid-air like a maniac in XV.

I doubt you'll be zipping around like in FFXV at any point in the game since that game you could air juggle just by holding circle and wiggling the stick (which, as it turns out, is how you do 99% of combat in FFXV) -- but you do get more launchers and ways to stay in the air longer. 

Also I hate how if you're cycling through the menus and land on the map there's this multiple second pause before you can move to the next tab. Can load the entire fuckin' game world in 7 seconds but I'm waiting like 3 just for a map tab I don't even want to look at?! Could easily fix it by not locking the controls as the map's icons are loading.

fbnsRbH8L79xPCdgBZBEJ8-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The IRL loading screen gets longer as the in-game ones get shorter.

The long saga of trying to figure out when PC players will be able to play Final Fantasy 16 continues. Although there's still no release date for it, producer Naoki "Yoshi-P" Yoshida says the PC version is still in development and that you'll hear more about it when it gets closer to the finish line.

Speaking on a recent stream, Yoshida said the PC version still needs work in order to mirror the PlayStation 5 version of the game, specifically citing its lack of loading screens when traveling between locations and transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay. Yoshida says the team hasn't "had the time to optimize the PC version of the game" because they've been busy with the PS5 version.

"We will be sharing more about the PC version when the time is right, please look forward to it," he said, echoing a sentiment he often shares when talking about upcoming features for the other Final Fantasy he's in charge of, Final Fantasy 14.

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I typically switch to Japanese by default on SE games because the English VA is usually so f’n bad. I tried out the English audio mid-way through the demo and it’s legit great: I’ll be playing this in English.

Yeah, because this is the first game they’ve done where English is the original language, which was then translated to Japanese 

FF14 does its localization in-house and the localization team has helped shape the lore and story to a fair extent, they're not like some separate office that gets shipped a final product. Probably why 14's English acting is also excellent. (From Heavensward on.)

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

FF14 does its localization in-house and the localization team has helped shape the lore and story to a fair extent, they're not like some separate office that gets shipped a final product. Probably why 14's English acting is also excellent. (From Heavensward on.)

Dammit, you’ve convinced me to dive into FFXIV… so how do I do that?

19 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Dammit, you’ve convinced me to dive into FFXIV… so how do I do that?

You can just download the free trial from Steam or PSN. Don't think it's on Xbox for whatever reason. I think making an account used to suck but they recently simplified it, or at least made the account page less hideous.

ogp_na.png?5bfb858b
NA.FINALFANTASYXIV.COM

This section will explain how to install FINAL FANTASY XIV, as well as how to create your character and begin the game.

That looks like it's about right. 

• Hugs 1