Active shooter drills have become a $2.7 billion dollar industry

I may have mentioned this in a previous similar thread but years ago I did work with a school district that spent god awful amounts of money to build "secure entry" on to every single school property they owned. Each building was retro fitted with a vestibule if needed and then cameras,card access and push to talk system. In the first construction meeting I mentioned that a secure entry meant to stop a gun men was completely useless if it was standard glass entry. A gun man isnt going to stop because of any of this , he will just shoot the glass and walk through. The looks I got you would have thought I pulled my cock out on flopped it on the table. The best part was after all of them were built most of the schools would buzz you in if you looked the part, carry a tool bag and tell them your there to fix something and in you go. So then they implemented an ID check, but the ID check took place after they buzzed you in and you were in the office.

• Haha 1

One of the best things about my kids learning from home now is they don't have to go through that bullshit. I think they were doing 4 drills per year. They were really affecting my son two  years ago in 1st grade. After the 2nd drill he looked me in the face when I was tucking him into bed and asked if somebody was going to come in the school and shoot him. I can reassure him in whatever way possible, but he still sits there night after night thinking about a horrible act like that. For a week or two after each drill you could tell he was really bothered by it. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

One of the best things about my kids learning from home now is they don't have to go through that bullshit. I think they were doing 4 drills per year. They were really affecting my son two  years ago in 1st grade. After the 2nd drill he looked me in the face when I was tucking him into bed and asked if somebody was going to come in the school and shoot him. I can reassure him in whatever way possible, but he still sits there night after night thinking about a horrible act like that. For a week or two after each drill you could tell he was really bothered by it. 

I sometimes wonder how this is going to affect views on gun laws for future generations. Are the kids that are put through this trauma today going to do what it actually takes to affect change on this society and keep their kids from going through the same? I hope they do, but I also know there is probably a large number of kids being indoctrinated into believing this is just how things have to be.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, TheLeon said:

Jobs Jobs Jobs! 

It's a shame they've created the wrong types of jobs.  Expand that 2.7 million industry, but instead of using it for active shooter drills, hire more counselors.  

But if we were to continue with active shooter training, it seems obvious to me that teachers are the ones who need it the most.  We would want the leadership of the school to not get frazzled under duress - be a commanding voice for students to follow.