Nvidia related - Please, please don't let this be true...

Mr.Vic20

10 minutes ago, legend said:

Don't ask me how I got this because I could lose my job. But here's the prototype for the 40 series

supercomputer.jpg

Early in my career, I worked in a network operations center and I can tell you that there is nothing worse than getting an alarm in a facility of that size when it used the old continuous  copper trace detection systems. I'm now having a PTSD response to that image! :cry:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Then again, it might be an excuse to get this:

https://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11-dynamic/

Get the XL version of the case.  I have the one linked and a GTX 1080 Ti just barely fits due to the limited width of the case.  The 3080 you pictured looks like it could be a bit wider than the 1080 Ti I have in mine.

Or just go all out custom water cooling, which is what the O11 was designed for.

6 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Get the XL version of the case.  I have the one linked and a GTX 1080 Ti just barely fits due to the limited width of the case.  The 3080 you pictured looks like it could be a bit wider than the 1080 Ti I have in mine.

Or just go all out custom water cooling, which is what the O11 was designed for.

Thanks for this tip! I Think I'm going to roll back to my previous full size tower for a few months until A.) I know the dimensions of this new GPU, B.) its power requirements, and C.) AMD's release date and benchmarks for Zen 3 desktop chips. 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Thanks for this tip! I Think I'm going to roll back to my previous full size tower for a few months until A.) I know the dimensions of this new GPU, B.) its power requirements, and C.) AMD's release date and benchmarks for Zen 3 desktop chips. 

I believe it requires one of those arc reactors to power it! Do you have an extra one of those laying around someplace?

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah it was a tight fit, just barely had enough room to connect the power, which are currently touching the glass side panel.  And the rear has no mounts for even an 80mm fan, while the XL case can mount a 120mm one.  As you can see, I do have an 80mm fan in mine but it's secured with twist ties.

tUk9TEp.jpg

AMD might also be your only option right now, to unlock the full use of a 3080, because Intel doesn't have PCIe 4.0 yet.  Ryzen 2 can't keep up with Intel for high-framerate 1080p gaming, but at 4k the bottleneck is completely the GPU and memory.