The Democratic National Convention Thread of EVERYTHAAAANG

All the shit you guys said in the election thread.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

9 hours ago, Jason said:

@b_m_b_m_b_m this ALMOST makes up for all the other shitty decisions they made about handing out speaking slots :lol:

9 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Kasich always looks like he needs a haircut.  

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Elena is going to talk next

8 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

Elena nose lighting

8 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Only way I would watch the DNC is with a blood alcohol level of at least 0.4

Michelle Obama though.

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I watch it just for Michelle. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

And you can catch the same material again next week too. :daydream:

Can Melania go on this long though?

8 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

I... don't like Michelle

racist wonder showzen GIF

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

5 hours ago, Jason said:

5 hours ago, Jason said:

4 hours ago, Jason said:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Reminds me of some of the posters on this board

joke shade GIF by Desus & Mero

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

This seems unlikely.

With Trump's obsession with dominance I think he'll stick with the guy who has been more emasculated.

AP_17131511404196.jpg

20 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Should we have a convention thread? 

Headlines and repetition matter. "Joe's just fine," might not sound like an inspiring message but I think it's the right judo defense to target the soft fascists and maybe even if they don't vote trump they just stay home. 

This, combined with Michelle's speech, I think they're hitting the right tone. It's hard for trump (specifically trump) to argue against a message that says he tried but gosh it's just too much for him. It might sound limp wristed but I think de-mythologizing trump for his followers is the play.

• Haha 1

Also, I'm curious if the convention being virtual affects polling after the convention. Long-term, I don't know if it matters much -- Hillary had a surge in 2016, Obama had a surge in 2012 but it became closer nationally, McCain surged above Obama in 2008, plus Trump's is after and the second convention usually produces a bump to counter the first -- but still curious.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

:sick:

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

🤮

I don't see an issue with either, and this isn't the first time Powell endorsed the Democrat.

In fact, his statement in 2008 of, "Obama isn't a Muslim, but the real answer should be, so what if he were?" is way ahead of where much of America still is and ahead of some of the "Bernie should have won" people who used to post here.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Who the devil are these mythical beings on the right who are going to be swayed by Colin Powell?

Right-leaning or moderate independents who aren't sold on Biden. And I'd assume his word carried weight in 2008 as well when he first switched parties in endorsements. 

We literally had people who supported Bernie, who's nearly universally loved here, who aren't as progressive on Muslim acceptance as Powell. And I feel as if I'm in Bizarro world -- the guy in that tweet is saying, "Why are we forgiving Powell?!" as if he hasn't endorsed the Democrat since 2008. Did he just start paying attention to this stuff yesterday? Isn't it well-founded knowledge that he had deep reservations about the whole thing but was made many assurances that it would pay off and felt backstabbed? He's not Bill Kristol. 

Some here really, really need to get out of their bubbles. I know these moderate Republicans that incels like RSF think don't exist; voting for a Democrat is extremely hard when you've not done that in your lifetime. People on this board don't live in the real world; they live in the left-wing Twitter-sphere.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Half of the 04 cast is here

Not really.

04 was a hugely "patriotic" affair, where those who questioned the president blamed America and questioning government was questioning country. Giuliani went from supporting a war hawk to supporting Trump pretending not to be; the actual war is window dressing for the jingoistic message which can be used to back any policy.

The 1988 campaign was very similar to 04 which is very similar to today's Republican Party. This isn't 04 RNC; it's a Democratic convention with progressives, mainstream Democrats, and Republicans unified behind Biden. Maybe there's a message there.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The message is the party would be in 3 or 4 parts in another country that wasn't fundamentally broken.

Yeah, except our dreams of a parliamentary system aren't happening. We have two parties that need to establish broad coalitions. FDR's coalition would have been multiple parties in another country and he won four terms with it.

The message is people of all ideological stripes support him. The jingoistic 04 Republican convention cannot be found here.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Those 2 Army members IN UNIFORM need to be swiftly punished by their commanding officer.  It is never OK to participate in political activities in uniform.  FFS.

EVERYONE RECEIVES TRAINING ON THIS SHIT

Don't worry, Trump will find out who they are and have them disciplined.

TrumpNavy.jpg

• Haha 2

There is a bit of a difference though.  If the president is giving a speech on military readiness or something like that, it is appropriate for service personnel to be in uniform.  If he is there as part of a "Elect Donald Trump" campaign event, that's not ok.  

Those two young people were blatantly taking part in a political event by being in that delegate video.  

https://www.army.mil/article/71574/rules_restrict_political_activity_by_dod_personnel#

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

There is a bit of a difference though.  If the president is giving a speech on military readiness or something like that, it is appropriate for service personnel to be in uniform.  If he is there as part of a "Elect Donald Trump" campaign event, that's not ok.  

Those two young people were blatantly taking part in a political event by being in that delegate video.  

https://www.army.mil/article/71574/rules_restrict_political_activity_by_dod_personnel#

Nothing matters.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yeah, the CiC coming to speak to his soldiers is far different than soldiers showing up in uniform at a campaign rally. 

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Trump turns every single public speaking event into a Trump campaign rally.