Fire aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard off the coast of San Diego

53 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

How much does this ship cost?

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think it went through a refurb / update a couple years ago to the tune of $250M, if I remember something I read recently. 

Initial build cost is $1.5 billion, but yeah, refurbishments are much less. 

Bottom line is the class of ship is a generation old for what it is. She was in port for some maintenance work anyway. My guess is that the Navy may not opt to repair the ship and they just move it to mothball with the intention of scrapping it and replacing it with a new America Class assault shio. 

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Initial build cost is $1.5 billion, but yeah, refurbishments are much less. 

Bottom line is the class of ship is a generation old for what it is. She was in port for some maintenance work anyway. My guess is that the Navy may not opt to repair the ship and they just move it to mothball with the intention of scrapping it and replacing it with a new America Class assault shio. 

Which isn't ideal since the America class flight 0s aren't a real replacement for an LHD.

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Which isn't ideal since the America class flight 0s aren't a real replacement for an LHD.

The new redesigns are though. Starting with the third one (Flight 1) they have a well deck to launch amphibious operations. 

It's a really capable ship design, in my view. 

And at the end of the day, the loss of the BHR is just one fewer ship we have to invade Iran with :p

The stuff that's burning is probably incredibly bad. Don't breath it if you can't help it. Stay inside and use air conditioners if you have them. 

And now that we all have masks... definitely wear those. Absolutely wear those. They help against some particulates. 

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

The stuff that's burning is probably incredibly bad. Don't breath it if you can't help it. Stay inside and use air conditioners if you have them. 

And now that we all have masks... definitely wear those. Absolutely wear those. They help against some particulates. 

I have it on good authority, from multiple viral conservative Facebook posts, that masks will in fact make you sick

One of the most intense and draining times I had in the Navy was at the fire fighting simulator in San Diego.  Simulator is a poor way to describe the facility, because that shit was literally on fire.  It's was set up like a ship, and you had to descend multiple ladders wearing all of the fire fighting gear while carrying a hose.  You can't see shit.  And even with the thick suit on, you feel the heat bleeding through to your body.  I had to fight the fire for maybe 10 minutes before I was relieved, but by the end, I was exhausted.  

On one hand, it's good that everyone got off the ship.  On the other hand, it's complicated saving the ship.  Because they can't really get crews onboard to fight the fire, it has probably done permanent damage and warped the hull.  I'd be surprised if it ever sails again.

2 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

Yup. Came in to say this. Air was horrible

I'm not sure if I've gone nose blind or if the air has cleared. Only went out a few times to walk the dog, but couldn't smell it as strongly as last night. Are you still smelling it?

I'm in Normal Heights,so not as close as my friends in North Park, but close enough. 

1 hour ago, Chollowa said:

I'm not sure if I've gone nose blind or if the air has cleared. Only went out a few times to walk the dog, but couldn't smell it as strongly as last night. Are you still smelling it?

I'm in Normal Heights,so not as close as my friends in North Park, but close enough. 

In mission valley I smell if right now! Driving me nuts, feels like I smoked a pack and I haven't smoked in 10 years

• 1 year later...
MQHF573665CKZASAWYO22GS4TI.jpg
WWW.DEFENSENEWS.COM

Retired Vice Adm. Rich Brown was named accountable for the loss of the amphibious ship Bonhomme Richard but was ultimately cleared of wrongdoing in December. Six months later, he's facing censure from the Navy secretary.

tl;dr 3rd Fleet Commander investigates self and clears self in fire investigation, instead blames other Admiral who wasn't in charge.