Sackboy: A Big Adventure - reviews from OpenCritic posted

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, nublood said:

Did you score a pre order on the PS5?? I’ve been trying like a bot, checking every website outside of Ebay :/

I'm guessing you're in the US and looking for a disc version correct? I'd keep a close eye the week before launch when people either bail on getting a PS5 or drop of of their spare pre-orders. I've personally got two but they're for DE units and I'm in canada. :/

41 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm guessing you're in the US and looking for a disc version correct? I'd keep a close eye the week before launch when people either bail on getting a PS5 or drop of of their spare pre-orders. I've personally got two but they're for DE units and I'm in canada. :/

Yea I’m in the states. I’ve been looking like a madman for spare pre orders going in and out of stock, mostly on Target. I almost had one but the order was cancelled a day later.  I’ll try what you recommended if I don’t have one by then. If not I’ll be camping when they launch. Thanks man.

1 minute ago, nublood said:

Yea I’m in the states. I’ve been looking like a madman for spare pre orders going in and out of stock, mostly on Target. I almost had one but the order was cancelled a day later.  I’ll try what you recommended if I don’t have one by then. If not I’ll be camping when they launch. Thanks man.

I'll keep my eyes peeled if I hear word on more pre-orders opening up and let you know! :thumbup:

9 hours ago, nublood said:

Did you score a pre order on the PS5?? I’ve been trying like a bot, checking every website outside of Ebay :/

I scored two preorders -- one from Amazon Germany and one from Walmart. It's mostly just in case one cancels on me, but ideally, I'd like to use Best Buy since there's one close to me and I shop a lot there.

If one is confirmed, I'm canceling the other one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)

Publisher: PlayStation

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 78 average - 78% recommended

Critic Reviews

PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

An astounding triumph of imagination, Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn't just one of the best platformers ever made, it's also a proper highlight of the PlayStation 5 launch line-up that is steeped in such fun and free wheeling creativity, that it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as other PlayStation platforming heroes such as Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.

Video Chums - 9.3 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure accomplishes what few modern games do by simply offering an unabashedly lighthearted world that's bursting with joy, fun, and plenty of laughs. It's an absolute must-have for any gamer who enjoys co-op experiences.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is an amazing 3D platforming game. A must have for the PS5.

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is incredible - solo or with others. It has an amazing amount of content for a game that most will write-off haphazardly. It's an example of fun creativity that comes with people who are passionate about bringing a good experience to gamers of all ages.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 8.5 / 10

Sony's return to the path of quality platform games is a move that will be welcomed by the entire gamer community and we expect it to continue

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a thoroughly entertaining 3D platformer that is a joy to see, hear and play

GamePro - German - 84 / 100

Cuddly Jump&Run with fun couch co-op and fantastic music levels. The sacklings do well without an editor!

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.1 / 10

Sackboy is a smart and colorful platform game, filled with fun moments and loyal to its LittleBigPlanet's roots.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is dripping with charm and makes excellent use of the DualSense controller.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the ideal launch title for kids or local co-op rounds with your kids and friends. Also the Soundtrack and the precise controls are amazing, even if the game often lacks some creativity and the story ended up to be pretty generic.

Daily Mirror - 4 / 5 stars

Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn't a particularly revolutionary platformer, replicating a structure seen many times in the likes of the latter Rayman titles and so on. But what it does, it does with panache and bags of charm that will appeal to kids and the parents who'll end up joining them for co-op. The woolly protagonist's latest outing is something that fans of the franchise - or just platformer lovers in general - will have a great time with.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Bring your family and friends into your Sackboy: A Big Adventure playthrough and have a blast. Or play by yourself. It doesn't really matter, as Sumo Digital has once again tapped into the essence of what makes this series so special. It's innocent, it's fun, and it feels unique. We need more games like it, even if they don't push the genre forward...which is by no means a requirement.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

Cleverly designed levels offer moderately tough challenges, but generous checkpoints and a genial atmosphere make it easy to keep coming back

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a delightful platformer that mostly does a great job despite coloring inside the lines and staying a bit too easy most of the time.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Sackboy’s legacy was always tied to LittleBigPlanet and its creation tools. Media Molecule no doubt created a PlayStation icon, but he always played second fiddle to the tools. That perception is no more thanks to Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Sumo Digital has successfully excised Sackboy from the creation tools and given him his own platforming game. The game is gushing with character and charm thanks to its wide array of imaginative levels. The transition to 3D platforming has allowed for more precise and varied gameplay, providing a solid level of fun for players of all ages. As a PS5 launch title, the game delivers a colorful and detailed presentation, though it remains no slouch on PS4. The story isn’t anything special and chocked to the brim with cliches, but a solid voice cast combined with great level design will keep you playing the entire length. While playable solo, Sackboy is best when played co-op, and unfortunately at launch, co-op options are limited. As a complete experience, though, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a fun platforming adventure that’ll leave you with a smile on your face.

PowerUp! - 8 / 10

Sackboy delivers some damn good jumpy-jumpy material.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the hessian hero's best outing yet. Tighter platforming controls and a fresh perspective go a long way to reinvigorating the franchise, and it helps that the whole thing is positively stuffed with charm from beginning to end. Levels that feel lonely when played solo, and worse, levels that aren't accessible at all in single player dampen the experience, but not enough for platforming fans to dismiss it. If you've just brought home a shiny new PlayStation 5 there's also a lot here to showcase what the console is capable of in both visuals and the user experience, making it well worth considering as part of your launch library. Viva la Sackboy!

Push Square - 8 / 10

There's a lot of love been poured into Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and thus it's hard not to love it back. This is a brilliant platformer with tons of imaginative ideas and a strong sense of style. The lack of online multiplayer at launch is a bit disappointing, but it's coming as a free update before the end of the year, so we can forgive the developer that. If you're looking for something bright and breezy to begin your PS5 journey, then this is a near-flawless romp when it's at its pomp.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars

A great new spin on Sackboy's charm.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8 / 10

Sackboy: A Great Adventure is perhaps the real surprise of the PS5 debut. A solid platformer as expected from Sumo, which knows where to draw inspiration from and how to reinvent it, as if they were true game design restorers. Simple and very smooth from start to finish, but a good challenge to bring to full completion, with all its collectibles and challenges that enhance a level design that is not at all trivial and that always strives to do something different to make each stage a unique gaming experience.

TheReviewGeek - 8 / 10

As an introduction to a new console generation, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a big, bold, colourful platformer that makes up for any visual shortcomings with some excellent level design and a killer soundtrack.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a very beautiful game that keeps offering new ideas through its strong levels, and it makes a good use of the DualSense too. If you like platformers, there is a high chance you will fall in love with this adventure.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

Sony is on a roll with the PS5, with Sackboy: A Big Adventure being yet another title PS5 buyers should seriously consider adding to their collection.

WayTooManyGames - 8 / 10

Sackboy isn’t as big or complex as other Sony exclusives, and that’s great. After playing countless of serious and mature titles, a smaller, less serious, and more family friendly platformer is exactly what I wanted from them. A palate cleanser of sorts in order to get ready for the next generation of consoles.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 78 / 100

Sackboy is a fun adventure for everyone, easy to play and difficult to master, and it also works as a demonstration of some Dualsense capabilities, but we miss the creative side of Little Big Planet and more unique mechanics (such as the musical levels).

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.7 / 10

Sackboy is a party to which everyone is invited: a colorful and fun platformer, rich in content and with a level of difficulty suitable for a very young audience. It suffers from a rhythm that is not always well balanced, and from a dilation of content that does not allow the adventure to maintain a homogeneous quality standard for its entire duration. Without shining for originality, Sumo Digital's work still offers some decidedly remarkable stylistic flicks, with musical levels and a great deal of customization capable of soaring over the rest of the offer. Ultimately, Sackboy is an outspoken and genuine platformer, "tailor-made" for fans of the genre.

Vamers - 75 / 100

Sackboy: A Big Adventure serves as a wonderful solo debut title for this iconic PlayStation mascot. Although the narrative leaves a lot to be desired, despite a loveable mentor and interesting villain, and only offering fairly standard gameplay mechanics for a platformer; the game does shine in its own way. The truly gorgeous visuals paired together with the ever changing level design and wonderful use of music; seek to bring everything together to creatively craft a bespoke game experience that is well worth the price of entry.

AusGamers - 7 / 10

Spoiler alert - it gets better.

Digitally Downloaded - 3.5 / 5 stars

I don't want to take anything away from Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Platformers are one of the genres I am least inclined towards, and were it not part of a (fairly limited) launch range on the PlayStation 5, I might not have been inclined to play Sackboy at all. I am glad that I did, though, because for pure whimsy and quality level design it's a real challenge to Nintendo at its best in this genre, and that's no mean feat. Just don't go in expecting the same qualities that made the LittleBigPlanet series itself so beloved.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Though Sackboy: A Big Adventure's aesthetic is a bit basic, its solid platforming presents a good challenge.

JVL - French - 14 / 20

Keeping the cute side that made the success of his first albums, Sackboy: A Big Adventure finally meets the expectations of those looking for a nice little game to spend time with their offspring. But players accustomed to the sure values of the genre will regret the lack of challenge and memorable passages that remain in the lead several hours after a game. It is to be hoped for the future of the franchise that it will stop relying on the recipes of the success of its past to innovate as it had done in the era of PlayStation 3.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

Another gorgeous looking first party PS5 game, with some fun and imaginative platforming, but even with four players at once it lacks that certain spark that would've made it a true launch essential.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Sumo Digital has done a wonderful job bringing the visual aesthetic of the LittleBigPlanet franchise into a 3D platforming world. The levels are a delight to look at and shine brightly when paired with a top-shelf display. The various outfits and visual customizations that can be sewn onto Sackboy also look fantastic. I ended up using a Yak outfit I bought early in the game for the rest of my playthrough as I simply couldn’t get enough of how delightfully stupid it looked. When it comes to gameplay and story, it is fair to say that we’ve seen it all before, and usually done better. The main appeal here is to rehash old material with a 4K, leather-and-corduroy-upholstered refresh. If that sounds like a good time, Sackboy is sure to please, but it will leave other PS5 owners wondering when next-gen will actually show up. 7/10 yak outfits

TheGamer - 3.5 / 5 stars

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a decent platforming game that’s stuffed with charm, if a little lacking in imagination, which is a shame for a franchise built on creativity. Saying that, if you’ve got children, this is a must-buy for some family-friendly PS5 fun.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Sackboy: A Big Adventure starts off slow, feeling like a hollow reflection of the franchise, but eventually grows into its new 3D platforming elements. It's at its best when it blends the new with the old, when there's power-ups, side-scrolling and a meaningful challenge, but it takes a bit too long to get it together.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10

Sackboy : A Big Adventure is a beautiful yet very classic platformer. Sumo Digital delivers a decent game mostly made for children : with a repetitive gameplay and a lack of real challenge, it still offers to a younger audience an unharmful and colorful adventure. Too bad the DualSense wasn't used more on PS5.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the perfect starter for anyone who owns a PlayStation 5 or even if you're still on PlayStation 4. Bustling with tons of details and colourful locations for you to make your way through, Sumo Digital has delivered a game that’s so enchanting and stunning, it’s hard not to smile when playing Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

GameSpew - Unscored

Having been in possession of the game for just over 24 hours at the time of writing, we’ve still got a lot to see and do in Sackboy: A Big Adventure – we’ve only reached the second of its worlds so far. At this point though, we can safely say that we’ve thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it – it’s gone above and beyond our expectations. It appears to be an immaculately made 3D platformer with huge amounts of charm. We’ll follow up with a full review once we’ve put considerably more time into it, but we think it’s safe to say that if you’re picking it up alongside your PS5, you’re going to be in for a very good time.

Kotaku - Unscored

For those with cleaner children than mine, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is exactly the sort of non-threatening video game that’s perfect for family game night. It’s charming, with a kid-friendly story and forgiving gameplay that won’t result in ugly tears. It might even inspire someone to one day work at a Michael’s or Joanne’s.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sackboy: A Big Adventure - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, BloodyHell said:

This has been a sleeper hit for me. Im really enjoying it.

Bought this as a couples game and finally got around to it. We've really been enjoying it. Some of it is the goof-off stuff, like stealing the other's trophy or photobombing each other at the end. But I've been impressed that she's handling the controls well. It's not MGSV in-depth, but I still didn't know how she'd handle having more than a couple button inputs. It's been very easy for her to adapt, which may not have been the case for the original LBP since the controls were different.

Dunno how long the game is, but we're in no rush. We're looking for secrets on the world map, exploring the worlds as best we can, and just having a good time. I'm happy there's online play, but it is really nice to have a couch co-op platformer to play from the get-go.

• 3 weeks later...

Really love this game. On World 5 and it's just been a ball going through, finding new costume pieces, figuring out challenging areas, it's just such a good platformer.

Whenever I get a Switch (now I'm not sure if I'm getting one this year if the Pro is not too far in the future), I want to get Super Mario 3D World immediately in addition to BOTW. 

• 2 months later...