The Medium (psychological horror) (28 January 2021) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

The Medium is a psychological horror game, featuring music by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski.

Become a medium living in two worlds: the real and the spirit one. Haunted by a vision of a child’s murder, you travel to an abandoned hotel resort, which years ago became the stage of an unthinkable tragedy. There you begin your search for difficult answers.

As a medium with access to both worlds, you have a wider perspective and can see more clearly that there’s no one simple truth to what others perceive. Nothing is what it seems, everything has an other side.

Coming Holiday 2020 to PC & Xbox Series X. Stay tuned for the full reveal.

One of the oddest reveals I've seen in a long time.  Next gen game debuted with a CG trailer followed by much more muted in-engine demonstration.

This thread is incomplete without it:

Supposedly it's next gen only.  The CG trailer would have really sold that if it... wasn't.

That transition at the end does look like something that could be easier to pull off with an SSD though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to The Medium (psychological horror) - Information Thread, update: It Came from Rage Trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to The Medium (psychological horror) (10 December 2020) - Information Thread
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to The Medium (psychological horror) (28 January 2021) - Information Thread
8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's an Xbox game... of COURSE the reviews are gonna be all over the place. Same game comes out for Nintendo or Sony and reviewers jizz themselves :shrug:

The whole time I've been looking at this game and commented on it here it somehow didn't dawn on me that it's not even coming to PS5...oops. I was thinking of picking it up anyway but I guess that settles that, duh.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's an Xbox game... of COURSE the reviews are gonna be all over the place. Same game comes out for Nintendo or Sony and reviewers jizz themselves :shrug:

Yeah, I think this is a really bad example to try to make that complaint. This is a bloober team game, it’s scoring better than their last game and is about in line with the rest of their output. It’s a small budget thing that just happens to have a console exclusivity deal (probably timed), it’s scoring about what you’d expect and I don’t think the platform would matter.

This does have the position of being looked at as the first example of a next gen only Xbox game so I think some people are expecting it to be this big AAA thing when really it’s just a game that would come out mostly under the radar under normal circumstances. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, Xbob42 said:

Damn, for some reason I had this coming out in months in my mind. Can't wait! Love the 30 FPS preset chart, whoever made it clearly knows exactly the info PC users wanna see: How can I get 30 FPS?

Well, it's not called The High End. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One of the strangest takes I've seen in a while.  Weren't you into Days Gone (7/10)?  Ironically, Bloober Team used to be one of those mystery devs some Wii fans had irrational hope in.

This game seems like it'll be good for anyone who digs the vibe.  Plus, it legit does next-gen stuff.  Sounds like a success to me.

Bloober team just needs more staff or more time. They actually do some really cool stuff technically and have great artistic ability shown here and in Observer Redux, but the optimization is pretty bad and still have a good amount of jank. I feel like they could be on to something great eventually.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:06 AM, Xbob42 said:

Damn, for some reason I had this coming out in months in my mind. Can't wait! Love the 30 FPS preset chart, whoever made it clearly knows exactly the info PC users wanna see: How can I get 30 FPS?

So yeah, this is definitely a dlss saves the day game. I suppose now the chart is not taking dlss into account and doesn’t want to put in 60fps (nvidia only).

I do believe we see some weird inflating of Sony game scores when titles like Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghosts of Tsushima are barely-a-step-up (and a step down in my opinion compared to recent entries) Ubisoft open world games. I always have to be extra skeptical of Sony exclusives because people overhype the fuck out of them. I still can't believe one of the counters to Horizon's bad combat was that I should enjoy setting it up so I can watch the AI fight each other, like a fuckin' video game bum fight or something. Good lord, just make the combat fun!

Anyway, Bloober team makes good stuff, but not great stuff, so the reviews based on their history seem to be about what would be expected. Gonna dig into this game thanks to Game Pass, still not sure what to think of the solo split-screen stuff I saw in the Digital Foundry video (seems like a tech gimmick more than something important to the game, which is especially not something you want in a horror-themed title) but let's give it a shot and find out.

• Guillotine 1

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I do believe we see some weird inflating of Sony game scores when titles like Horizon Zero Dawn or Ghosts of Tsushima are barely-a-step-up (and a step down in my opinion compared to recent entries) Ubisoft open world games. I always have to be extra skeptical of Sony exclusives because people overhype the fuck out of them. I still can't believe one of the counters to Horizon's bad combat was that I should enjoy setting it up so I can watch the AI fight each other, like a fuckin' video game bum fight or something. Good lord, just make the combat fun!

Anyway, Bloober team makes good stuff, but not great stuff, so the reviews based on their history seem to be about what would be expected. Gonna dig into this game thanks to Game Pass, still not sure what to think of the solo split-screen stuff I saw in the Digital Foundry video (seems like a tech gimmick more than something important to the game, which is especially not something you want in a horror-themed title) but let's give it a shot and find out.

Yeah but Ghost reviewed exactly the same as ubi games do, horizon is a little higher but it’s expansion reviewed the same as an ubi game, then Days gone reviewed like lower, so did The Order. Did that predator game get 90’s? I can’t remember.

Idk it’s just a general thing you could throw out there like “reviewers are biased toward Sony”, it sounds good and seems plausible but when you start actually looking at it then it just falls apart.