~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

• 4 weeks later...

I bet there was one guy named Gordon on that flight who was quietly sitting in the back, just on his way to meet his family for a quiet vacation. Poor Gordon!

EDIT - Reading into this more, everything about it is hilarious (and infuriating). Some of the passengers shoved vaseline in the backs of their noses to fool covid tests, and some had fake vaccine passports/cards. Also, I love that Trudeau didn't just call them barbarians, he called them Ostrogoths. That's very specific!

EDIT 2 - I was curious about this so looked it up—Ostrogoth is a rare insult in French, but Trudeau likely picked it up from the show Tintin, where it was a common insult used by Captain Haddock. 

captain-haddock.png

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Ford is becoming caught in the Kenney Paradox—hated by people who think he hasn't done enough, and also hated by people who thinks he has done too much. It also appears the not-Ford vote is coalescing around the Ontario Liberals:

Always tough to say with three strong parties, but the likely result is a minority government either way.

WX2SOYDUVBOSZJX3W5O7IW3FTI.jpg
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Truck drivers will have to be fully vaccinated to come into Canada starting Sunday

What a fucking mess. So they said they will require truckers (American and Canadians) to be vaccinated to enter Canada. Then there is backlash and they reverse it. Then they reverse it again. Like...there are arguments for and against this, but pick a strategy going in (trade-offs of ideology/PR vs economic impact, etc).

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

It appears that Ford is becoming caught in the Kenney Paradox—hated by people who think he hasn't done enough, and also hated by people who thinks he has done too much. It also appears the not-Ford vote is coalescing around the Ontario Liberals:

Always tough to say with three strong parties, but the likely result is a minority government either way.

Not shocking. ONDP has been ***king awful this whole pandemic. Yet I'm sure Resetera will continue to tell me that no it's not that I'm just afraid of the ghost of bob rae and not giving them a chance when I already did. Like seriously every time andrea horwath holds a press conference it's like less than 1 min speech of 2-4 sentences with no actual direction then instantly opens up to questions. At least Del Duca can actually make a point when holding a press conference (weather you agree with it or not).

21 hours ago, chakoo said:

Not shocking. ONDP has been ***king awful this whole pandemic. Yet I'm sure Resetera will continue to tell me that no it's not that I'm just afraid of the ghost of bob rae and not giving them a chance when I already did. Like seriously every time andrea horwath holds a press conference it's like less than 1 min speech of 2-4 sentences with no actual direction then instantly opens up to questions. At least Del Duca can actually make a point when holding a press conference (weather you agree with it or not).

I mean, resetera lives in a bubble, and inside that bubble is a very special kind of fiction. I'd hardly take their opinions seriously. 

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What a moron. Saskatchewan has been handing out free rapid tests for months, and even before then businesses, organizations, and school divisions could get them from the government to hand out. All provided by the federal government to the province.

Umm.. Didn't they hand them out to parents before the holiday break? It's amazing how much Lecce lies and bends the truth out of all other Ministers.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:47 AM, CitizenVectron said:

The polling in Ontario has varied so much, that I don't trust any of them.  If you want me to find you a poll that the PCs have a huge popularity margin -- I got ya.  Want one with the NDP in the lead -- I got ya.  Want one show that the Liberals will come back to power (God help us, after their last government) -- I got ya.

• True 1

5YTTRNPPPVMZJPNODG4NS36V74.jpg
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Instead of focusing on issues such as the federal deficit, housing affordability crisis and supply chain disruptions, the party is distracted by criticism of Erin O’Toole’s leadership from within caucus and among party activists

td;dr: Prairie Conservatives are turning into the GOP and Ontario Conservatives don't know how to deal with it. Obviously neither group is monolithic (there are insane CPC people in Ontario and rational PC-type people in the west), but in general the western arm of the party is 100% leaning into the culture war from the US, and isn't behaving rationally, nor does it have any policy positions on how they want to govern. 

I hope O'Toole manages to stay on.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
5YTTRNPPPVMZJPNODG4NS36V74.jpg
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Instead of focusing on issues such as the federal deficit, housing affordability crisis and supply chain disruptions, the party is distracted by criticism of Erin O’Toole’s leadership from within caucus and among party activists

td;dr: Prairie Conservatives are turning into the GOP and Ontario Conservatives don't know how to deal with it. Obviously neither group is monolithic (there are insane CPC people in Ontario and rational PC-type people in the west), but in general the western arm of the party is 100% leaning into the culture war from the US, and isn't behaving rationally, nor does it have any policy positions on how they want to govern. 

I hope O'Toole manages to stay on.

O'Toole doesn't have great support among Conservatives in Ontario.  If they are to have a leadership review, it isn't a foregone conclusion that a more moderate leader won't be selected.  Central Canada still has more votes.

Edit:  *Socially moderate

Count me on the chart of waiting Canadians. I bought a Denon x6700 from a local Canadian business on August 28th 2021, and 5 months later now I’m still waiting on my receiver. I went in to see what the latest arrival time would be and was told mid-end of February, but watch it be March at the earliest.