~*Official Canada Thread of Good Governance and Unnecessary Apologizing*~

On 10/1/2021 at 5:20 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yeah.  It's all about the conservative media. 

How many times has Trudeau skipped Remembrance Day?

I can’t remember 

6123.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Bizarre request made ahead of immigration hearing for Manning, whose previous attempts to enter Canada have been denied

Canadian government lawyers recently invited US whistleblower Chelsea Manning to travel to a hearing in Montreal – so that border agents could then physically remove her from the country.

The bizarre request, which was eventually denied by an adjudicator, was made ahead of an immigration hearing set to begin on Thursday for Manning, whose previous attempts to enter Canada have been denied.

• Confused 1

3303.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Hospital staff assumed Joyce Echaquan was an opioid addict. She was dying of a rare heart condition

An Indigenous woman who was taunted by nursing staff as she lay dying in a Quebec hospital would probably be alive today if she were white, a coroner has concluded.

The death of Joyce Echaquan was an “undeniable” example of systematic racism in the province, the Québec coroner Géhane Kamel told reporters on Tuesday.

“From the first minute she entered the hospital, a label was placed on Ms Echaquan,” she said.

• Sad 1

It baffles me that some of these job titles are real and the amount of perceived duplication is baffling to me. [Edit: I am REALLY baffled apparently.]

Chrystia Freeland remains Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance

Omar Alghabra remains Minister of Transport

Anita Anand becomes Minister of National Defence

Carolyn Bennett becomes Minister of Mental Health and Addictions and Associate Minister of Health

Marie-Claude Bibeau remains Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food

Bill Blair becomes President of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada and Minister of Emergency Preparedness

Randy Boissonnault becomes Minister of Tourism and Associate Minister of Finance

François-Philippe Champagne remains Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry

Jean-Yves Duclos becomes Minister of Health

Mona Fortier becomes President of the Treasury Board

Sean Fraser becomes Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

Karina Gould becomes Minister of Families, Children and Social Development

Steven Guilbeault becomes Minister of Environment and Climate Change

Patty Hajdu becomes Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Northern Ontario

Mark Holland becomes Leader of the Government in the House of Commons

Ahmed Hussen becomes Minister of Housing and Diversity and Inclusion

Gudie Hutchings becomes Minister of Rural Economic Development

Marci Ien becomes Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth

Helena Jaczek becomes Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario

Mélanie Joly becomes Minister of Foreign Affairs

Kamal Khera becomes Minister of Seniors

David Lametti remains Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada

Dominic LeBlanc becomes Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities

Diane Lebouthillier remains Minister of National Revenue

Lawrence MacAulay remains Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

Marco E. L. Mendicino becomes Minister of Public Safety

Marc Miller becomes Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations

Joyce Murray becomes Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

Mary Ng becomes Minister of International Trade, Export Promotion, Small Business and Economic Development

Seamus O’Regan Jr. becomes Minister of Labour

Ginette Petitpas Taylor becomes Minister of Official Languages and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency

Carla Qualtrough remains Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion

Pablo Rodriguez becomes Minister of Canadian Heritage and remains Quebec Lieutenant

Harjit S. Sajjan becomes Minister of International Development and Minister responsible for the Pacific Economic Development Agency of Canada

Pascale St-Onge becomes Minister of Sport and Minister responsible for the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec

Filomena Tassi becomes Minister of Public Services and Procurement

Dan Vandal becomes Minister of Northern Affairs, Minister responsible for Prairies Economic Development Canada, and Minister responsible for the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency

Jonathan Wilkinson becomes Minister of Natural Resources

In Canada the ministers haven't mattered since...what, the 1970s/80s under Trudeau Sr.? Since the 80s, at least, they have effectively been beholden to the PMO. You could argue that perhaps Paul Martin was fairly independent in the 1990s, but I can't think of many others. I mean you still want competent people, I'm just referring to independence and ability to do what they want with the portfolio.

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In Canada the ministers haven't mattered since...what, the 1970s/80s under Trudeau Sr.? Since the 80s, at least, they have effectively been beholden to the PMO. You could argue that perhaps Paul Martin was fairly independent in the 1990s, but I can't think of many others. I mean you still want competent people, I'm just referring to independence and ability to do what they want with the portfolio.

That's clearly Trudeau's POV -- except for the competent people part.

CP14691571-766x431.jpg
WWW.MACLEANS.CA

Stephen Maher: Following a meeting between Singh and Trudeau, officials in both parties have considered a deal to avoid confidence votes for three years

Justin Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh met secretly to discuss the parliamentary session ahead. Officials would not say that they discussed a deal that would see the NDP agree ahead of time to support the government through three budgets, but sources say the idea is being discussed at senior levels inside both parties, although there have been no negotiations.

Big if true.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

CP14691571-766x431.jpg
WWW.MACLEANS.CA

Stephen Maher: Following a meeting between Singh and Trudeau, officials in both parties have considered a deal to avoid confidence votes for three years

Big if true.

What's the threshold for calling a confidence vote?

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Conservative party needs to look at the places in the East where it has success (PEI, Nova Scotia, Ontario, etc.).  Pandering to the extremists in the West is not the way to bring back a Conservative government.

100% agree. Lots of Liberal voters (and by that, I mean people that have voted Liberal, not necessarily loyal Liberal voters) would be willing to vote for a centrist PC-type party (as is shown by Atlantic Canada).

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I scroll through this thread every once in a while and chuckle at how benign it all is

As is tradition.

After paying attention to American politics, watching events in Canada is kind of like the Futurama debate between Jack Johnson and John Jackson:

t9OBzVWFb79TPDGkaP1Da1IkxYjuDYCcn_a8Znl9

Heck, just today Parliament passed (unanimously) legislation to ban gay conversion therapy in the country (not that it is common).