19 dead in Canadian shootings

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is to show you how no matter how great @CitizenVectron makes the healthcare system look in the covid thread, there are still some negative things about Canada.

Well yeah...but that's not really related. This is very sad, and I'm curious about the motivation of the shooter.

Also, I believe 13 are dead, including one police officer, and the shooter.

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well yeah...but that's not really related. This is very sad, and I'm curious about the motivation of the shooter.

Also, I believe 13 are dead, including one police officer, and the shooter.

Any word on this? I'm curious as well...  is it true the shooter was impersonating an RCMP Officer?

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Any word on this? I'm curious as well...  is it true the shooter was impersonating an RCMP Officer?

Yes, apparently he purchased an old cop car and repainted it/decaled it to look like an active one, and he had a uniform as well. That would explain why he could potentially get close to a lot of people.

JUST on Friday I was telling my wife how beautiful Nova Scotia must be this time of year...WTF!? Worst mass shooting since 1989!!! I can't believe this POS, I cannot ever begin to understand the machinations behind someone who does something like this. Not to mention something so obviously premeditated. Abhorrently disgusting. RIP to those lost :(

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Any word on motive?

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, apparently he purchased an old cop car and repainted it/decaled it to look like an active one, and he had a uniform as well. That would explain why he could potentially get close to a lot of people.

Psychopathic intent to hurt and kill others.  I don't think there's any other way of explaining the motive. 

4 minutes ago, darkness35 said:

Psychopathic intent to hurt and kill others.  I don't think there's any other way of explaining the motive. 

The news said Law Enforcement said that this may have started out with a specific motive and then progressed into him moving on to a random spree... up to 17 killed I believe.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The news said Law Enforcement said that this may have started out with a specific motive and then progressed into him moving on to a random spree... up to 17 killed I believe.

Is it wounded dying, the police finding bodies, or like Frightners where he’s continuing his killing spree after death as an evil spirit? 

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Globe and Mail (Canada's paper of record, like NYT or WaPo) sent out a horribly insensitive tweet and is rightfully being destroyed for it:

Their three headlines on the shooter that appeared before this one on their site are:

"Nova Scotia mass shooting: What we know so far about the victims, suspect and timeline of events"

"'Our hearts are broken:' The victims of Nova Scotia's mass shooting, Canada's deadliest"

"Nova Scotia gunman kills at least 16 in shooting rampage"

Paper has clearly shown a focus on the victims, but twitter gonna hate.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Their three headlines on the shooter that appeared before this one on their site are:

"Nova Scotia mass shooting: What we know so far about the victims, suspect and timeline of events"

"'Our hearts are broken:' The victims of Nova Scotia's mass shooting, Canada's deadliest"

"Nova Scotia gunman kills at least 16 in shooting rampage"

Paper has clearly shown a focus on the victims, but twitter gonna hate.

I'm not claiming their entire coverage has been bad...but they need to tighten up their social media headline bot (or staff).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I'm not claiming their entire coverage has been bad...but they need to tighten up their social media headline bot (or staff).

That's also the headline of the article on their site.  I assume that you are reacting to the word passion?  (Most of the twitter rage I saw was directed towards the fact that there was an article about the killer's background, as opposed to the victims.)  A "sick obsession" could rightly be called a "passion", but I doubt given how little we know right now about the killer, whether the term "sick obsession" would make it through the Globe's editorial staff.   The dude clearly had a shrine to the RCMP.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's also the headline of the article on their site.  I assume that you are reacting to the word passion?  (Most of the twitter rage I saw was directed towards the fact that there was an article about the killer's background, as opposed to the victims.)  A "sick obsession" could rightly be called a "passion", but I doubt given how little we know right now about the killer, whether the term "sick obsession" would make it through the Globe's editorial staff.   The dude clearly had a shrine to the RCMP.

I take offence to both the headline chosen as well as the focus of the article on the killer. Mass killers should receive next to no coverage in the event of a shooting.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I take offence to both the headline chosen as well as the focus of the article on the killer. Mass killers should receive next to no coverage in the event of a shooting.

Why do you find it offensive?

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why do you find it offensive?

For the headline, it is the classic case of "Killer Tad Smith was a beloved area man known for being quiet" vs "Killer DeVon Williams had troubled youth," where the media whitewashes or soft-walks details about a killer when they are from a "respected" community. Imagine if the headline was "Nova Scotia mass shooter was a denturist with a passion for model trains." The last part has no relevance. Yes, he did have a "passion" for policing in the sense that he was obsessed with buying old police gear...but it turns out he did that so he could more easily kill people...so not exactly a hobby. Basically, it just candy-coats the killer in a headline.

For articles covering details about mass killers, very little info should be given. It's one thing for local news to cover the event in more detail, but we shouldn't get info on the killer in national media, it only serves to glorify and immortalize the murderer. It sells papers and drives clicks because people are fascinated by what makes a killer tick, so I get why the media does it, but I believe it's bad policy.

They weren't whitewashing, or glorifying him.  From that article (emphasis is mine, not their's):

Nathan Staples, who lives outside the nearby community of Great Village, said Mr. Wortman was obsessed with the police, and that his home in Portapique was a “shrine” to the RCMP. A few months ago, he went to Mr. Staples’s house, asking whether he would sell his used police cruiser sitting in the front lawn.

“He was one of those freaky guys, he was really into police memorabilia,” Mr. Staples said.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They weren't whitewashing, or glorifying him.  From that article (emphasis is mine, not their's):

Sorry, I should have been more clear -  I meant within the headline (which is mostly what people read). Papers are stuck in the old world of people having physical papers, where someone would see an interesting headline and then read the article. Today, headlines alone are the media being shared, and many papers have not adapted, meaning that important context is often left out. Good examples are when Trump lies about something (blatantly) and NYT will say something like "Democrats claim Trump pooped on homeless man's dog, Trump disagrees."

The headline is the thing I take the most issue with since it was quite untactful.

I'm with CitizenVectron on this one. The tweet is just an automation of the new article but that article headline should be rightly called out. If you haven't noticed they changed the article title from passion to obsession. So even they realized it was in bad call.

• Jason changed the title to 19 dead in Canadian shootings